Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

He plays the character of Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici, Richard Madden's (Cosimo de' Medici) father.

Thank you! :)  I can see him easily in this role.  It is something else to look forward to when the series becomes available for my viewing pleasure.

And we're in the days of the Guelphs and Ghibbililnes, and fight among the Austrian emperor, France, Spain, and the pope for control of Italy!

Exciting times.  Glad I didn't live during them.  Though it seems I'm living through our own exciting times.

Saw Arrival last night. Interesting concept, particularly with the ending. Didn't blow me away by any means. Found myself wanting to get up and leave about 30 mins in. Kinda boring, when I think back on it. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

9 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Roman Empire on Netflix.

Very interesting style of show that I've never seen before.

Sean Bean narrates it. Part scripted drama with top notch actors and real scholars mixed in commenting on the real history in the style of documentaries.

I guess it's not that new maybe, it's documentary with dramatic reenactmemt. Just usually the acting and filming is subpar in those but the quality of the acting, filming, and sets in this is A+ quality. 

I'm halfway through the season. I'm digging it. Sean Bean narrating it is a nice touch. 

Watched Chef's Table France at the weekend. Only four episodes. Failed to reach the highs of S2 of the standard Chef's Table. The last one (the salmon and sorrel one) was a little bland, albeit with a nice little bit of family story-telling. I did enjoy the one with the chef who went to Hong Kong to learn about their cuisine and cam back to open a French/Chinese fusion place, complete with tea pairings for each course. I would be all over that if there was one in the UK.

Also watched a scifi film called Cargo (after failing to get in to see Arrival at the cinema yesterday). It had a decent premise and wasn't totally awful but it seemed like we had skipped some scenes (we hadn't!) - re the protagonist becoming emotionally (romantically) invloved with another character. It seemed to come out of nowhere and felt beyond unconvincing into creepy and uncomfortable viewing. Weird.

Mystery Men, with Ben Stiller, Geoffrey Rush, Hank Azaria, Jeanne Garofalo and William H Macy. And Tom Waits and Peewee Herman.

Such an odd little film, the only feature ever made by director Kinka Usher. It's no classic but it's fun all the way through and there's some really neat junkyard-style production design.

Watched Star Trek Beyond. I got pretty much what I expected. It's virtually the same movie as the first one in the series.. or at least it felt that way to me. Captain Kirk running full speed through the hallways of his ship still seem to equate to tension and high stakes drama. Was this supposed to be the movie that got away from the military and warfare angle and instead delve into actual space exploration and discovery? Because they did a very poor job if that was the intent.

Will be interesting to see the contrast to Arrival.

Just saw Arrival at the theater and enjoyed it a lot, though it ended up being a very different movie than I anticipated. It's unlike any other movie I've seen, and while it's not perfect, it made for a great cinematic experience. The music, acting, visuals and focus on language were all great, even if the second half had some writing-related choices I'm unsure about.

I also watched Gravity last night and loved it. One of the best-looking movies I've ever seen, even when it's just a DVD on my laptop, some shots gave me goosebumps. Great performance from Bullock and it had me on the edge of my seat, which movies rarely do. Another winner from Cuaron.

4 hours ago, Grand Moff Mithrandir said:

Just wrapped up The Wire. What a show, it had me hooked from season 1 all the way through season 5.

I watched it over the summer and loved it to bits. Possibly the best show I've seen, and certainly one of my favorites.

4 hours ago, Sivin said:

Tried to watch THE EXPANSE, since I occasionally see one of our own raving about it on Facebook. But syfy only has episodes 5 through 9 available online... da fuk?

It's on Netflix, finally.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

It's on Netflix, finally.

Have you started it yet? I'm hooked, find myself squeezing in an episode or part of an episode whenever I have a spare moment. Something about it just ticks all of the right boxes for me. The 40-45 minute episode feels like it's over in no times

Archived