Taboo: Tom Hardy's historical drama (BBC1/FX) [spoilers]

AncalagonTheBlack

19 hours ago, Astromech said:

At least the show has style.

That it does, but I fear that's all this show has... It's almost like they put all the ingredients for a great show into a pot, and forgot to add a good, compelling, well written story.... Tom Hardy and the cool setting is a lot.... and probably enough to make me stick it out because I'm a TV junkie... but I will not mention this show in the same breath as those on my "must watch" list

Still like the show, but I do think this was the worst ep of the season. I don't know why, but my favorite ep was the last one. It's a valid criticism that not much happened in both eps, but for some reason the style worked a ton better for me last ep. Perhaps they have just spun wheels too long here. 

6 hours ago, lmanion said:

Im quite enjoying it atm its a slow burn for sure but not bad for me by any means although i can see why some might get sick of it quite quickly

I'm in the same boat but I do hope the pace picks up soon.  It's starting to get a bit repetitive. 

Using my tablet scale I am giving the show a 5 out of 10. I picked up my tablet just a few minutes into the episode because I was already bored.

It was nice to see that the brother in law wasn't shown to be a coward who couldn't handle a gun, he had a perfect shot. Then of course James figured out who the traitor was and had an even better shot on him, which would be murder correct? I mean, that guy did nothing to James except save his life and yet he killed him as he was running away.

I am assuming James plans to take the gun powder to Nootka(sp) and the last episode of the season will be him and his merry gang boarding the ship to leave, or maybe even showing them landing there. Maybe the entire S2 plot is planned to be in Nootka?

I will finish the season out but it has been disappointing to say the least.

3 hours ago, unJon said:

I'm in the same boat but I do hope the pace picks up soon.  It's starting to get a bit repetitive. 

but the formula of Delaney walking, failed assasination, EIC boss swearing, Delaney riding a horse, brothel visit, awkward/creepy Zilpha and her husband scene and Delaney walking around his house with no pants is so entertaining? They've even mixed it up with the new addition of "chemist puts something weird in his mouth"

I still like it but it's hard to escape the repetitive elements.

Delaney's housekeeper is an annoying and craggy grump. I feel for James having to be around that constant negative attitude the guy exhibits. 

It's pretty obvious Summer will be on that ship when Delaney heads to the Sound, she's mentioned Delaney taking her to America about 4 times I think lol.

It's really cracking me up over what a glutton they keep portraying the King of being in his scenes.

Also the HOC's guy (Stamper) is a damn good actor.

Am trying to imagine how Oona's character is going to kill her husband. I doubt it will be by the knife they teased us with at the end of this episode, but it will be something soon i'm thinking.

I'm not fretting the pace and plot to heavily, the setting, cast and acting is entertainment on its own merit.

I'm up to date on 5 episodes right??? My TV tells me 6 airs on saturday.

It's a lot of atmosphere but not a lot of actual substance yet. A few moments which are really effective, well made, the music is fantastic at setting the atmosphere and it looks gooood; great production values but i'm just NOT connecting to it yet; i'm waiting for something...I don't REALLY care about any of the characters but i'm still waiting and will watch the whole season 

45 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Delaney's housekeeper is an annoying and craggy grump. I feel for James having to be around that constant negative attitude the guy exhibits. 

It's pretty obvious Summer will be on that ship when Delaney heads to the Sound, she's mentioned Delaney taking her to America about 4 times I think lol.

It's really cracking me up over what a glutton they keep portraying the King of being in his scenes.

Also the HOC's guy (Stamper) is a damn good actor.

Am trying to imagine how Oona's character is going to kill her husband. I doubt it will be by the knife they teased us with at the end of this episode, but it will be something soon i'm thinking.

I'm not fretting the pace and plot to heavily, the setting, cast and acting is entertainment on its own merit.

Winter :)

I really hope Oona kills her husband lmao that dude needs to GO

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

As feared, it's Groundhog Day in Regency-era London.  

If the plan was to continue the story over multiple seasons, they didn't plan enough how to hold the viewers over the first season. 

Agreed.  I'm sure we'll just get more of the same except in America instead of England.  There is no real narrative strength at work. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Agreed.  I'm sure we'll just get more of the same except in America instead of England.  There is no real narrative strength at work. 

Maybe his sister and husband won't be there. But I guess the hat, lack of pants and assassins can remain. The East India Company can always send him letters with lots of swearing in them.

14 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Winter :)

I really hope Oona kills her husband lmao that dude needs to GO

Totally being built up for an epic ending. Might even have to wait until the end of the season for it. Maybe involving voodoo? Maybe it will look like he has killed himself? Possibly he could castrate himself? Am I being too hopeful there?

7 minutes ago, Isis said:

Totally being built up for an epic ending. Might even have to wait until the end of the season for it. Maybe involving voodoo? Maybe it will look like he has killed himself? Possibly he could castrate himself? Am I being too hopeful there?

I do hope something 'epic' happens - weve been waiting for something to happen all season...

Maybe the entire S2 plot is planned to be in Nootka?

Has Season 2 actually been confirmed? There was a story last week that the series had lost the production company and Hardy £10 million and a second season was pretty much unthinkable, unless they sell it to Netflix or Amazon.

Really good episode this week, easily the best so far. Lots of great scenes, and some interesting plot developments.

Does anyone think Delaney's mother might not be entirely human? In Delaney's visions/flashbacks, we only ever catch the briefest glimpse of a very strange looking woman. Her skin seems almost scaly and there's something up with the shape of her nose. I've seen it suggested that she might have been possessed, but, especially after tonight's episode, I'm thinking she might be some kind of water-spirit thingy.

As for the show's longevity, I'm pretty sure this will be snapped up by one of the online distributors. If ever a show was meant to be binged, it's this one.

(Lots of spoilers for episode 6 below)

Maybe. I certainly don't think that she was trying to kill him in the ritual. I suspect she might have been making him impervious to drowning - hence how he survived the sinking of the Influence.

Certainly the best episode to date. I think it was not just due to the plot speeding up, but also because Thorne has finally been killed, the story has been diversified with the addition of Chichester and he is finally providing some answers even if the questions are still coming faster. Most importantly Delaney has finally been put onto the backfoot by the EIC. The main character going the whole series one step ahead makes rather boring television.

Poor Winter. What would happen to Nootka if Delaney was hung for murder?

Archived