'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

Platonic.

I really appreciate writers going for those sorts of relationships, where the bonds are forged out of mutual professional respect and experience.  You can still see how much Angela grieves the loss of the partner whose kids she and her terrific husband have adopted.

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

Maybe Sister Night is being set-up as the successor anti-hero to Rorschach? She certainly went to town on that Nixonville attacker after previously describing the raid as "unnecessary."

Glass looks and sounds more like Rorschach. Plus he doesn't seem to mind ruffling feathers regarding being suspicious of co-workers.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Platonic.

I really appreciate writers going for those sorts of relationships, where the bonds are forged out of mutual professional respect and experience.  You can still see how much Angela grieves the loss of the partner whose kids she and her terrific husband have adopted.

Yeah i like how a lot if that relationship is left unsaid. 

Although i couldn't help speculating whether a copy of "striking vipers" was in the Christmas present her husband was so eager to open and what repurcussions that might have had if not for the attack :)

finally watched the episode and there's a lot to like. I get the impression it's a slow burn and that a lot of elements will click into place towards the end of the season. The "ozymandias" and his clones scenes are a great example of this 

I also like how the cavalry are actually correct in thinking the squid was a false flag incident but it appears to have been co-opted by racists. And there's still the possibility that the police (or at least the state they support) are villains too.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:19 PM, Raja said:

Out of curiosity, how far into it did you get?

As an aside, I have it another go. A few episodes into S2 now. It's a moving show.

I think the Irons is actually Manhattan theory is not without merit.  Doesn't look that way for the most part, but you gotta figure Lindelof's gonna do some twists by the end of the season - and there are definitely hints there.  And that'd be a twist I almost certainly wouldn't like, so with my luck it's almost certainly true.

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

At the end of the comic, Manhattan tells Veidt that he is leaving the galaxy entirely, I’m wondering if there is a reason he is back on Mars or if they just ignored that bit.

Well he can exist in multiple places at once, so maybe he left that version of himself on mars to be a comfort to humanity? 

I loved the buildup and reveal of Laurie's mysterious pulp fiction briefcase. Really curious about how Dan ended up in jail for 25 years and she became an FBI agent. 

Okay, so after looking up some reviews I see Laurie was the Silk Spectre. Her joke says Dr. Manhattan is in hell. The Nite Owl is in jail, so I guess that’s why she has a caged owl. The 4th reference is to herself, and she kills God. So does that make her the hero, or one of the heroes, of the show?

And Petey, mister PhD with all the hero knowledge, is the author of the extra material on the HBO website.

A story I saw says the costume Irons put on is Ozymandias’ costume, does that mean that’s who is is?

Lol, more from reading.

In the song She Was Killed by Space Junk, a woman named Sally was killed by space junk. Laurie’s mother, Sally, was the original Silk Spectre, and she was killed by space junk. Her father was the Comedian, and she also took the part of the Comedienne at one point apparently.

The owl’s name is Who, thereby playing off of ‘Who watches the Watchmen’. But his cage is covered, so he doesn’t get to watch much. That went right over my head.

One of the signs carried by a protestor at the cemetery said Who polices the police.

The vehicle dropped down at the end was Angela’s, wasn’t it?

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A story I saw says the costume Irons put on is Ozymandias’ costume, does that mean that’s who is is?

Yeah. Unless there's some trickery but I doubt it at this point. A bunch of the pre-season reviews had mentioned that so I was surprised it was supposed to be a big reveal. 

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pretty sure. Lauire takes it a sign from Manhattan but it seems pretty clear it didn't come from Mars. Though I wonder if maybe Manhattan, Will Reeves and whoever was flying the owl ship that picked up the car might be working together? 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:53 PM, Nictarion said:

S2 of The Leftovers is hands down one the best runs of a tv series I’ve ever seen. 

I just finished Season 2 and I would say it was inferior to Season 1. It was less tight and Lindelof had to resort to a lot of wheel-spinning and regurgitating some of his Lost plot points (like having 3 episodes exploring the same events from different POVs before he allows the timeline to move forwards), particularly in the first half of the season. It ended really well, but it took it's sweet time getting there.

Season 3 is pretty good so far.

Seasons 1 and 2 are still pretty good though, and the Christopher Eccleston-centric episodes in both are absolutely magnificent.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I just finished Season 2 and I would say it was inferior to Season 1. It was less tight and Lindelof had to resort to a lot of wheel-spinning and regurgitating some of his Lost plot points (like having 3 episodes exploring the same events from different POVs before he allows the timeline to move forwards), particularly in the first half of the season. It ended really well, but it took it's sweet time getting there.

Season 3 is pretty good so far.

Seasons 1 and 2 are still pretty good though, and the Christopher Eccleston-centric episodes in both are absolutely magnificent.

I love S1 a lot as well. The Carrie Coon episode “Guest” is one of my favorites from the entire show. 1 & 2 are pretty close for me, with 3 being in last. Not that I didn’t love 3, but I definitely put the first 2 ahead of it. 

So my takeaway from that episode are that Veidt is imprisoned on Mars by Dr. Manhattan.  That seemed to be the direct implication of the Veidt scene.  Of course, it's definitely possible that this is some metaphor for Dr. Manhattan attempting to regain an aspect of his humanity.

I thought it was funny when Veidt cut off Crookshanks when she was starting out the letter and about to read his name, especially since he actually says it at the end of the letter.  Clever bit of writing.

Really digging Blake in this.  She brought some nice humor to the show as well.

From the end of the episode, it seems that Angela's grandfather's reference to "friends in high places" could be Dr. Manhattan?  Mars definitely appeared bigger in the sky briefly when Laurie looked up, which to me says the car was definitely thrown down by Manhattan.  

Still not sure where any of this is fucking going, though.  But I am along for the ride.

ETA: I feel like Keene working with the Second Kavalry is so obvious that it's probably not going to happen just because having it happen would feel lazy.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

If not, that'd be one hell of a coincidence!  Unless the giant squid was carrying a bunch of broken down sedans too, so it's part of that...

50 minutes ago, briantw said:

So my takeaway from that episode are that Veidt is imprisoned on Mars by Dr. Manhattan.  That seemed to be the direct implication of the Veidt scene.

Agreed, that definitely appeared to be the inference the audience was supposed to draw.

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

ETA: I feel like Keene working with the Second Kavalry is so obvious that it's probably not going to happen just because having it happen would feel lazy.

Yeah I can't help but always suspect him after all the shenanigans he pulled at SCDP.

My suspicion is that Veidt  WAS imprisoned on Mars. He no longer is.

Each time we see him with a cake, it has another candle on it. He's been gone since 2012 or so. He's trying to escape Mars. The first thing we saw of Dr. Manhattan on Mars was a castle that looked very much like Veidt's castle. The things we've been seeing are his experiences in the past, and probably by episode 7 or 8 he'll coincide in some way with arriving back on Earth, since in cake terms that'd be his 7th anniversary. 

Archived