Sign in to follow this  
DireWolfSpirit

What are you listening to Ventiquattro - Dont let Life pass you by.

Unknown Pleasures has turned 40!, haven’t listened to it for a while but did in the gym this morning, it really is a fantastic album.

Some of y'all, I think it was @Mr. X and @Ferrum Aeternum, gave me solid feedback when I asked about Julien Baker after I discovered her in that live tribute to Frightened Rabbit's Scott Hutchison after his passing.

I just discovered that she actually did a studio cover (and am frantically trying to figure out if a bunch of folks did) of a FR song here, and it's breathtaking for this Rabbit fan.  thank you guys

ETA:  Ah, there's the story

ETA2:  Full story

Edited by Triskele

Whenever I listen to Sublime I can't help but think of my 12-18 years.

I did end up picking up that Frightened Rabbit tribute album Tiny Changes.  

Absolutely essential if you're an FR fan.  Beautiful throughout but difficult to say how much anyone else ought to care if they're not already on board.  

Grant Hutchison, Scott's brother and the best looking god damn motherfucker in rock wrote some liner notes about the artists that did each track.  

I had heard of Daughter, knew already Hold Steady with Craig Finn, knew Julien Baker thanks to y'all, of course know Ben Gibbard of Death Cab, but want to give some of these bands a shot now:

Fiskur

Winterskeep

Oxfard Collapse

Edited by Triskele

On 6/28/2019 at 1:38 AM, Triskele said:

Some of y'all, I think it was @Mr. X and @Ferrum Aeternum, gave me solid feedback when I asked about Julien Baker after I discovered her in that live tribute to Frightened Rabbit's Scott Hutchison after his passing.

I just discovered that she actually did a studio cover (and am frantically trying to figure out if a bunch of folks did) of a FR song here, and it's breathtaking for this Rabbit fan.  thank you guys

Sure thing.

I somehow missed Frightened Rabbit when they were active and only listened to The Midnight Organ Fight for the first time this month after hearing some of the tribute tracks. You know this already, but it's really fantastic. Glad I finally got around to listening to them.

7 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Sure thing.

I somehow missed Frightened Rabbit when they were active and only listened to The Midnight Organ Fight for the first time this month after hearing some of the tribute tracks. You know this already, but it's really fantastic. Glad I finally got around to listening to them.

Well now dude of course you've made the mistake of saying this and will have to suffer a lot of unsolicited further feedback from me on this topic.  

I was also later arrive to the Rabbit but probably started really listening to them in 2015 or so, and I can't recall exactly where I heard about them.  

So they had five studio albums, but if you ask me, their debut Sing the Greys, while it has some nice signs of things to come, is really raw.  It's one of those ones that seems like it was produced before they had the full production budget and everything but technically counts as their debut.  But there's a temptation for me to consider it like a rare EP or something.

So Midnight Organ Fight is really the album that put them on that map, and this whole new tribute album Tiny Changes is exclusively tracks from that album.  

Some of the wit on that album blows my mind still.  "I am armed with the past and the will and a brick."  "Vital parts fall from his system and dissolve in Scottish Rain."  "Twist and whisper the wrong name, I don't care, and nor do my ears."  "It takes more than fucking someone to keep yourself warm."  etc...I mean just having a track named "The Modern Leper" is next-level genius.  

If you like Midnight Organ Fight then I strongly recommend two other records by Frightened Rabbit.  It's the two that followed that which are Winter of Mixed Drinks and Pedestrian Verse.  These three records together I think are neck-and-neck-and-neck, and it's hard to put them in order.  

They had one album after these three, Painting of a Panic Attack.  Also good, but a notch below those three if you ask me despite The National's Aaron Desner producing.  Less biting wit in the lyrics and less edge in the music overall.  Still worth checking out if you like the other three.  

Cheers

Edited by Triskele

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

Well now dude of course you've made the mistake of saying this and will have to suffer a lot of unsolicited further feedback from me on this topic.  

Come on now, I've been on this board long enough to expect unsolicited feedback when quoting someone in a music or reading thread. One might even call non-explicitly soliciting feedback.... :P

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the other albums. 

And yeah, "It takes more than fucking someone to keep yourself warm" is one of those lines that was a "STOP EVERYTHING - THAT'S AMAZING" kind of moment when listening the first time. Doesn't hurt that the melody is super catchy too. 

12 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Come on now, I've been on this board long enough to expect unsolicited feedback when quoting someone in a music or reading thread. One might even call non-explicitly soliciting feedback.... :P

And yeah, "It takes more than fucking someone to keep yourself warm" is one of those lines that was a "STOP EVERYTHING - THAT'S AMAZING" kind of moment when listening the first time. Doesn't hurt that the melody is super catchy too. 

A few more phenomenal lyrical quotes:

"I am armed to the teeth, and I'm heavy-set."

"Because that limb that I have lost...it was the only thing holding me up."

"After waking up post-operation I found I had come in a dream again.  All the pain almost as painful as ever but something in me is not the same.  At night during dreams of submission I could claw back my heart and soul.  As the signs of the tumor diminishes, so we fill that black hole."

"Hold onto your thumbs, tighten your eyelids, cover your ears my dear, when I am loaded.   Duck under that desk, cover your neck, thicken your skin as I prepare to shoot myself in the foot again."  

"All the dark words dripping from my throat sound like an oil slick coating the wings we'd grown...."

"I will never by Holy, thank God I'm full of holes."

Many more

12 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Sorry, man.  One more "fun fact" as if I couldn't douche it up more.

Midnight Organ Fight contains virtually no bass guitar, but the three FR albums that follow it do.

And it seems like they stick to this live to the most part.  

On 7/27/2019 at 12:34 AM, Triskele said:

Midnight Organ Fight contains virtually no bass guitar, but the three FR albums that follow it do.

This is interesting. I'll have to listen more closely.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:55 AM, Mr. X said:

This is interesting. I'll have to listen more closely.

So much so that if you watch live performances Billy Kennedy who was the third guy to join after Scott and Grant Hutchison started The Rabbit he plays guitar or keys on all the Midnight Organ Fight songs in concert but plays bass on almost anything from the following records.  I feel like they're one of these bands where if they were slightly bigger we'd get our proverbial "think-piece about a mid-level band struggling with their own limitations" article that would actually get into this decision.  

Listening to the Blackout podcast with Rami Malek.

Blackout imagines the collapse of civilization from a small New Hampshire town

A post apocalyptic podcast about how reliant we are on technology

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/5/18528065/blackout-podcast-rami-malek-scott-conroy-post-apocalypse-recommendation

In the first moments of Blackout, a new podcast from Endeavor Audio, we ride along with the pilot of a fighter jet who is flying over the White Mountains of New Hampshire, when suddenly he notices something off, and abruptly loses power and crashes.

The episode jumps to a recording made by a DJ named Simon Itani (voiced by Mr. Robot / Bohemian Rhapsody’s Rami Malek), who says that he’s documenting what’s transpired in the months since power went out across the United States. The series follows several storylines as Itani’s small town copes without power. Itani gets shot at when he goes to investigate the power outage at a local broadcast tower, while his son Hunter and some friends discover the downed pilot — and end up stumbling on a bigger plot when they come across an individual in the woods.

Blackout is a slickly produced show, and it plays out a bit like a novel, reminding me of Joe Hill’s post-apocalyptic novel The Fireman. Both are about the collapse of civilization as it plays out in New Hampshire, examining how dependent people are on all the trappings of the 21st century, and how easily communities can fall prey to power-hungry individuals who simply want to control as much as they can of the world that surrounds them.

Edited by Martell Spy