Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

32 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think Feige has said they're not going to dial her down because that means not being true to the character, so they're going full-Marvel on this one, which should make Phase 4 rather interesting.

I've read that he's said she's Marvel's Superman.

Does that mean powerwise, values-wise, symbol-wise, all three, or none?

On 4/26/2018 at 4:41 AM, Jeor said:

I would have liked to see the Collector put up a bit of a fight. He's supposed to be a badass (at least in the Comics) and no one really used the power of any of the Infinity Stones to actively fight Thanos. He could have demonstrated it and Thanos (with two) still could have overpowered him. Anyway, that's just a minor thing...there's all sorts of little things we'd rather see.

The Collector couldn't use the stone, right? Or is he some kinda super being also? I had the impression he only wanted the stones to collect them not to wield them. 

One other note I had: it's amazing how much it added to Thanos' threat by having him be not just a physical threat but his hand-to-hands were clearly choreographed by someone who knows what fighting looks like, so he just looked like he knew what he was doing. Plus, the Russos really know how to block an action scene on this blockbuster level.

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The Collector couldn't use the stone, right? Or is he some kinda super being also? I had the impression he only wanted the stones to collect them not to wield them. 

Hi!!

the collector in the comics was ancient and pretty powerful. They made him look weak and nuts.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think the Netflix shows (plus The Runaways which really didn't even try to pretend it was in the MCU) can just ignore it. Assuming time gets reset and most people have no memory of their friends turning to dust around them. SHIELD is more problematic, especially since they're dealing with their own alien invasion plotline. 

It does seem the events in this film were a "try and fit us in your continuity now, netflix/marvel tv" challenge. Previously the TV shows have been able to throw in the odd line to fit things in but this is almost impossible for the TV shows now. We've got Luke Cage and possibly, Iron Fist, Daredevil and possibly Punisher coming out prior to the next Avengers film. Then there's New Warriors, Cloak and Dagger and Agents of SHIELD and possibly season 2 of Runaways. Unless they say all of these shows occur before the events of Infinity wars then it seems highly unlikely that none of the Defenders turned to dust. Even if by some fluke they all survived then surely New York would be unrecognisable given the utter turmoil that had occurred. So they either have to derail all their own shows, potentially spoil Avengers 4 and say "it all sorted itself out somehow" or accept they are in an alternate universe (or in the one timeline that survived). I doubt they'd want to admit they aren't part of the MCU proper so I think they'll just say every season prior to the next Avengers film is set before the events of Infinity War.

Hopefully Agents of SHIELD hasn't doen anything with recent episodes that tie them too close to current continuity. Even a reference to Thor Ragnarok would leave them little room given how close the end of that film was to the start of Infinity.

I think in the comic Civil War 2 Captain Marvel was painted a little as an "end justifies the means" type of character so it's entirely possible that she might turn up with a plan to destroy Thanos and that she probably doens't mind breaking a few eggs in order to do so. I could easily see her being at odds with the leftovers avengers if they think they can bring the dead back via Thanos rather than just killing him. Cap Marvel may think it's best to just kill Thanos so he can't do more damage. A bit like Dr Strange but willing to actually follow through on the stance.

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I've read that he's said she's Marvel's Superman.

Does that mean powerwise, values-wise, symbol-wise, all three, or none?

All three, I think. She can fly, survive in the vacuum of space, is stronger than any other Marvel hero (I think), can fire energy blasts from her hands, regenerates from damage near-instantly and can survive a nuclear explosion. She also has super-speed and reflexes (like near Quicksilver levels, maybe higher).

The Collector is one of the Elders of the Universe. He has a humanoid form, like that we see in the movies, but he has a "true form" which is basically a god-level being who could swat Thanos like a flea. I think we can assume the MCU version of the Collector does not have that capability.

27 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

My guess is that in Antman and wasp  it will end with half the people around them turning to dust.

Hey! I had the same thought. Like they'll be stuck in the multi-verse with the original Wasp and get out just in time to see Pym melt away. 

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Collector is one of the Elders of the Universe. He has a humanoid form, like that we see in the movies, but he has a "true form" which is basically a god-level being who could swat Thanos like a flea. I think we can assume the MCU version of the Collector does not have that capability.

This version of the Collector is just an eccentric weirdo, I would have liked to see him show at least a bit of his power. It was hinted at a bit - when the GoTG think, "WTF You hid it with the Collector?" and Thor says something like, "It's not that bad an idea". And presumably Odin knew about the Collector's power when he hid it with him. Anyway, no biggie. I wouldn't be surprised if the Collector survived somehow.

Captain Marvel swooping in and saving stuff would be a cheat. We want to see some of the original Avengers be the ones to beat Thanos. I think it's more likely that Captain Marvel has some role (but not the role) in defeating Thanos. 

Saw it.   Loved it.

Just so many great scenes.  Especially like Spiderman's death.  That was gut wrenching.

One thing that I really liked was how the music changed to match each characters introduction.  It was well done.

As for the dust ending, I don't have much of a problem with it.  I knew going in that the next movie was basically part 2 and I love that they had the guts to end on such a negative.

In considering the disintegration ending a bit longer now, I think they did it just right.

If they really were going to kill off the characters permanently, a mass disintegration would be a very poor way to do it. Massive outrage from the fans and all of those deaths would feel very indiscrimniant for many well-known heroes who have earned individual dramatic endings instead of just being erased.

In some ways, it's essentially the same thing now as if Thanos had "captured" or "trapped" half of the superheroes and the surviving half have to rescue them from an Infinity Gauntlet-wielding invincible being. People don't feel cheated by the "fake" deaths because it's been telegraphed in advance that they'll come back. The real outrage would be if we thought they really were gone and then they got brought back cheaply. And we still got emotional scenes like Spidey's death. 

And even though we know most of them will be coming back, I think the outrage and shock at the end of the movie (at my screening there was an eruption of shouting) shows that even though we know it couldn't possibly be permanent, it still had a real impact. I think much of it was because Thanos' threat, throughout the whole movie, was so palpable that we were looking for a release (there was a big cheer when Thor's axe hit Thanos at the end - finally! we get a win) and then didn't get it.

There was also the shock value in that we had been prepped to lose some of the original heroes and it was the newer ones who bit the dust. So they kept their audience off balance.

In my view the ending had the right balance of daring negativity, outrage and shock value, but after people thought about it, hope that things haven't been completely wrecked. And that's a very fine needle to thread.

Did it seem like pretty much all the heroes who turned to dust are also all the heroes who will ultimately survive? Same for the survivors, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America etc.

Agree with others about Ant Man and Wasp, I would think the end of their movie is one of those two turning to ash, to add to the drama and linking the story lines.

Saw the 1115pm show last night and it was interesting listening to peoples reactions as I went in (people from previous shows, it was on like 8-10 screens at a time), during the movie and after. One guy was like man we just got our first black super hero and you killed him!!! Others were not happy with Groot, and Spidey.

Thinking of going to see it again next week on EPIC screen to enjoy it as big as I can.

Side note, the previews were pretty good, Solo, Little Foot, DeadPool and Venom. Other than Little Foot I plan to see all of these, going to be a good movie year for me.

Fantastic movie, better than I expected and I thought it was going to be pretty good. Well, I guess Thor is a god now. I thought the movie was going to devolve into Age of Ultron's mookfest mistakes, but they brought in Thor's lightning to clean up just as my eyes began to glaze. I was overwhelmed sometimes by the action, but it was mostly good, it was a  bit like an out of control ride at times. Also very funny in places, in particular the Guardians. It's always fun to rag on Star Lord.

BTW, I think that was the take off Juggernaut's helmet and beat him with Professor X plan they did there.

I did manage to avoid the rumored alt-right and DC fan spoilers, but some website writer got me and tipped off the ending using just a title and a picture, as I didn't click on the dumb article. What a jive turkey, next time I may have to do a full media diet for a few days.

I could have watched another 3 hours of this. I barely felt the length of it. This movie had, by far, the best action scenes in the entire franchise. And a lot of that had to do with how menacing Thanos was throughout the movie. One of the strongest villains so far.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I could have watched another 3 hours of this. I barely felt the length of it. This movie had, by far, the best action scenes in the entire franchise. And a lot of that had to do with how menacing Thanos was throughout the movie. One of the strongest villains so far.

You know, I have to agree.  I didn't notice the time going by at all. 

One thing that did suprise me was that Thanos was basically the main character.  I didn't expect that for some reason.  They also picked the perfect way to really introduce him.  When he put the beat down on the Hulk, I just sat there stunned.

I loved this. My emotions were all over the place during the film and my Marvel characters were so badass. Thor was definitely MVP and his intro to Wakanda is probably my all time favorite theatre experience(my stomach almost jumped out my throat)I thought this movie was visually beautiful. Marvel has been bringing the visuals in their movies lately and I love it. I loved all the locations we went to in such a short time. Tony and Peter with the Guardians was so awesome. Thor, Rocket and Groot were so cool. And Wakanda was everything. There is so much that I loved about this movie. 

I was glad that that the original Avengers were left standing but I was also curious on how Thanos decided which half to leave destroy and which half to keep alive. 

Ill definitely be seeing this again in theaters(which is very rare for me but I loved it that much) 

I’ve been waiting for The Mad Titan to be unleashed for like 26 years and I was not letdown. The more I think of it the more I love it. It was funny as hell, developed Thanos more than I ever would’ve imagined, the action was great and it even had a few touching moments. I will definitely be seeing this in the theatre again. 

I actually wish they made Thanos a little more devastating but totally understand why they didn’t/couldn’t. Although it would’ve been nice to see him do some work without the gauntlet on, and they missed out on a chance to have smoke coming out of his eyes in a fit of pure rage. But those are all just silly, fanboy nitpicks. I never would’ve thought that he’d be the main character of any type of movie ever. My 12 y/o self would’ve passed out from excitement watching this.

59 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I was glad that that the original Avengers were left standing but I was also curious on how Thanos decided which half to leave destroy and which half to keep alive. 

Does he decide? He simply says half of everyone must die, then they do. Half of all living people/aliens in the universe right, not just Avengers? You could see regular Wakanda fighters dying as well as Avengers. There is no way he could choose between a half trillion beings (or whatever the number is) in an instant right?

3 hours ago, Fiddler said:

One thing that did suprise me was that Thanos was basically the main character.  I didn't expect that for some reason.

I’d argue that he’s the main character by default, as the movie simply doesn’t have enough time to be about anyone else. Virtually none of the heroes have any meaningful character arc, in fact the Avengers themselves barely have a chance to interact. They essentially greet one another and fight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thanos’s ‘character development’ scenes actually take up less screen time than many other villains.

I think this is as good as the movie can be, and I’m certainly amongst the fans who was dying to see eeeeeeevery single hero they’ve built up all on screen at once.  But it’s interesting to think of what the movie could’ve been if it didn’t have that remit. You could open with Thanos decimating the population of Gamora’s planet with much more exposition as to why he’s doing it, or even open with his own planets fate. You could have more scenes of Gamora growing up and gradually realising what had happened to her family, having her hatred of Thanos growing and growing. How does Tony feel about magic? Does he know all about Strange? When Strange asked the cloak to make sure he didn’t close his fist, is that a necessary part of using the gauntlet? Could this be a flaw built in by Tyrion? I could almost picture a Feast/Dance version of the film, where we follow half the heroes on one quest and half on another in two different movies. I hope they do something like that one day.

Again, not being negative about it, I really enjoyed it and it has to be this way to fit everyone in. But it’s interesting to think about what is sacrificed if you want this many people in a film. I’d argue that this movie has very little value to anyone who isn’t well versed in their MCU, as a stand-alone, it’s pretty redundant.

Archived