MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

I just mentioned this in the Endgame thread but perhaps it wasn't the snap that caused problems with the multiverse but actually a much more low key event that was immediately before the snap but almost no one knows about - Strange's 14 million simulations actually created 14 million new timelines. Obviously these wouldn't be all the alternate timelines, but perhaps so many new ones being created at once (followed immediately by 14m snaps) puts some extra strain on the multiverse due to the sudden load.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I haven't seen Thor 2 since, well, since I saw Thor 2 but I think they were just other planets/systems.

They can certainly fly from Asgard to Earth in a regular spaceship.

Seems weird that the 9 realms are just 9 random planets (or solar systems) that are just scattered various places around the one universe. Midgard and Asgard being in the same dimension does rather suggest it though. Is it just that those planets all have a mysterious wormhole hovering above them that brings about a potentially cataclysmic convergence once every few thousand years that makes them particularly special to the Asgardians?

In original Norse mythology they are different planes of existence though, right?

The 9 realms are supposed to be separate dimensions, but it does seem uneven az hell considering Niflheim is one real cold planet and Midgard is our whole universe.   

So.....  9 regions of space?  And asgardians usually just visit the central landing zones of each realm that they're most familiar with.    Maybe they only found 9 places with life on them in the early days, to show they're not really gods, and those regions were all they could manage historically.  Other galaxies would have other pantheons of godlike elder beings.  Then the galaxy entered its spacefaring era, and asgard got onboard with that, so they got introduced to thousands of new "realms" that were basically seen as new neighbors where they weren't the landlords as they are in the 9 Realms.

Or, if asgard is a differenf dimension for real, spaceships like the Ravagers' may normally only warp jump within the Midgard dimension, but asgardians found a way to jump realms from asgard for trading purposes, and then thanos' ship overcomes more obstacles than the average spaceship so he could track them into that dimension?

I don't know which is preferable,  nine regions or nine dimensions.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:12 AM, Morpheus said:

I fully expect a new X-Men to be announced for 2022 or 23. There is no way Marvel puts them on a shelf, they finally have some of their best known characters back, they are going to use them, they don’t care about what FOX did or how big a disaster Dark Phoenix will be, I’d bet they already have shortlists for casting of roles like Wolverine and Storm.

Just want to point out it was two years between Garfield's second Spider-Man movie (2014) and Holland's first appearance in Civil War (2016), with his own full-blown movie coming out a year later.

I don't expect an announcement in 2022 or 23. I expect some sort of opening salvo in the Mutant entrance into the MCU by then.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

To be fair, they've kinda been doing that ever since The Mandarin in IM3.

True. I guess the captain marvel one was better received. Although i found the mandarin wuite funny after the initial surprise.

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

They’ve repeatedly said they’re putting the X-men on hold for 5 years minimum. 

Hmm. 5 years for us or 5 years for the MCU? If they have been specifically saying 5 years there's a very good chance they are being cute with us.

It's been 5 years since we've had a spidey film afterall.

I loved that Spiderman trailer, it managed to convey the imoact of Endgame, retain the fun and whimsy of homecoming and up the stakes in terms of threat level (with stunning visuals!) all in one. The tone of the humour is perfect for Spiderman too. “Bitch please you’ve been to space”

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Feige specifically said that the next five years of movies were set before the Fox deal happened and they won't be juggling that plan about for the X-Men.

Having read that, that also means we probably won't see Doom, sadly. :(

They quickly changed course for spidey - even altering civil war substantially. While it's much harder to plug in the entire x-men concept i don't see how the FF or doom can't be incorporated relatively quickly/easily.

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

They quickly changed course for spidey - even altering civil war substantially. While it's much harder to plug in the entire x-men concept i don't see how the FF or doom can't be incorporated relatively quickly/easily.

I should probably be more accurate in saying that it probably means that Doom won't be the main threat for the next phases as a lot of us had hoped.

28 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Terry Pratchett disagrees.

I consider that the exception that proves the rule

Can also add the much closer to home "into the spider-verse" to show it can work too. That said the appeal of the MCU is that it contains multiple franchises in a shared world. Adding a multiverse doesn't really help as it splinters franchises and also confuses. I think a multiverse is fine if it's about the adventures of MCU characters exploring but not so much if there are multiple universes the films are set within. Eg there being a universe with X-men, a universe with the tv shows and the main MCU

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I should probably be more accurate in saying that it probably means that Doom won't be the main threat for the next phases as a lot of us had hoped.

That makes more sense if they already have the next connecting uber villain planned (be interesting who or what the alternative is if not doom, galactus, magneto etc). I guees if it was kang/immortus that would require planning.

To be honest they should probably have given themselves a few films before starting the next big villain (like they did in phase 1). That way they could be more fluid with plans. Although i tend to think the MCU is more fluid and flexible to change than they want us to think. They know "it's all connected" drives sales so they don't want people starting to think that black widow, shang chi and the eternals might not be the essential stepping stones to the next crossover

The Phase 4 roster appears to be as follows:

Black Widow

The Eternals

Black Panther 2

Doctor Strange 2

Spider-Man 3

Shang-Chi

Captain Marvel 2

The Avengers 5 (probably)

Ant-Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Thor 4

The Thunderbolts (possibly)

That takes us through to 2023 and the end of Phase 4. There physically isn't much release room for any X-Verse or FF movies, unless they go beyond 3 movies a year which I think would be a challenge.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't that make them beta by definition?

Aren't they basically inaccessible without the rainbow bridge? I thought the 9 realms were different dimensions, not just remote places in the universe. 

I just thought they were different places and the bifrost is a way of traveling vast distances swiftly.  Like earth and asgard are on the same dimension but different realms.

I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

That takes us through to 2023 and the end of Phase 4. There physically isn't much release room for any X-Verse or FF movies, unless they go beyond 3 movies a year which I think would be a challenge.

I'm not sure it would be that big a challenge actually. With Fox no longer making superhero movies, except for the couple legacy ones coming out this year, there's a new gap in the yearly blockbuster calendar that Marvel could fill. And they have the production capacity from all the Fox employees who are now under the Disney banner. I'm sure a few Marvel folks would need to go over to Fox, to ensure the new movies fit into the Marvel style guide, but much of the actual work could be done by people who aren't involved in the slate of movies you list.

The only potential wrinkle is if that many blockbusters would cause Disney to run into trouble with whatever the remaining rules in the US (or other big market countries) are about taking up too much of movie theaters' screen capacity.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure it would be that big a challenge actually. With Fox no longer making superhero movies, except for the couple legacy ones coming out this year, there's a new gap in the yearly blockbuster calendar that Marvel could fill. And they have the production capacity from all the Fox employees who are now under the Disney banner. I'm sure a few Marvel folks would need to go over to Fox, to ensure the new movies fit into the Marvel style guide, but much of the actual work could be done by people who aren't involved in the slate of movies you list.

The only potential wrinkle is if that many blockbusters would cause Disney to run into trouble with whatever the remaining rules in the US (or other big market countries) are about taking up too much of movie theaters' screen capacity.

I think there is the risk of killing the golden goose. 3 movies a year isn't too bad but they may worry about extending that to 6 a year they will be fatiguing people. They also don't want to cannibalise either their own audience (which would happen if you have multiple movies in the theatre at the same time) or the rest of Disney's audience.

I can see them stepping up to 4 in one particular year as a test run though.

2020 looks like it will be lucky to get even two Marvel movies, though. GotG 3's shenanigans resulted in a hole in the schedule and although Black Widow might scrape into late 2020, I can't see The Eternals being ready in time.

Archived