Jump to content
RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I think she had been eyeing Grindr/Tinder for awhile. I can't say whether this was her first time or not hooking up with a random stranger, it's not clear, but I don't think she was really aware of how it was going to go. 

I believe that photo was also the lock screen on Nate's (the jock) phone before he showed his buddy the private photos that Cassie (Sydney Sweeney's character) had sent him.

I tend to agree with the thought that she had been trolling tinder or whatever for a while and found what she wanted, a father figure who thinks she is beautiful.

Spoiler

Will it come out that she is transgender? I mean they didn't hide it so I assume they will make it a part of the show at some point.

The photo was the fathers lock screen, Jules looks at it while he is in the shower.

 

Now for the tough part. I am a father of a daughter who is/has grown up in this generation of selfies, chat room videos, revenge porn etc. By some stroke of luck my daughter had no part of sending nudes etc. I saw a text stream of hers to a guy where it was clear she liked him and he was asking her to send some and she said no, I don't do that. I felt such a weight lift off of me that you can never imagine. So that's what I hold on to! Anything else I will imagine she also chose "correctly"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished Bad Blood S2 on netflix. Unless you are a mafia style show obsessed person don't watch S1 or 2. S1 is based off true story and people, S2 I believe is all fiction.

I watched Annihilation this week, movie came out a year or two ago. I thought it was ok, nothing special. I liked a lot of the visuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son is now a week into his summer break from school.  With no homework for him to worry about, we’ve been doing some more fun stuff in the evenings after I finish work.  We went to see Men In Black last Friday, and then X-Men: Dark Phoenix today.  Despite the weak box office and tepid reviews for both, they are perfectly serviceable summer action films to see with your kids.  In fact, these are the kind of movies my wife likes most, outside of Star Wars.

Neither was excellent, and I’m pretty fatigued from all the Marvel movies in the past several years, but still a decent enough family movie.  I’m sure we’ll see the new Spiderman too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone try the Swamp Thing series yet?  I watched the first 2 episodes and really wanted to like it.  The series so far has established some interesting storyarcs -- stopping the "green flu", Swamp Thing figuring out what he is, the impending war between the green and the rot.  Yet, I can't bring myself to keep watching because I can't stomach all of the gory violence and body horror that they keep putting on the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started Bosch S1, about 9 episodes through it. Definitely liking this and can see myself binging it pretty quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Baby Driver last week. It was... I don't know, sort of what I was expecting? Actually in some ways I was expecting more from it. Kevin Spacey totally phones it in. Can't really say any of the performances are 'strong' really. It's basically a film centred around a single concept, which is reasonably entertaining. But the rest of it is pretty weak. It's kind of like a short story that's been made into a feature length film; like butter spread over too much bread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Isis said:

Watched Baby Driver last week. It was... I don't know, sort of what I was expecting? Actually in some ways I was expecting more from it. Kevin Spacey totally phones it in. Can't really say any of the performances are 'strong' really. It's basically a film centred around a single concept, which is reasonably entertaining. But the rest of it is pretty weak. It's kind of like a short story that's been made into a feature length film; like butter spread over too much bread...

It was a big disappointment when I came out of seeing in the cinema too. It was very hyped up by a number of reviewers, Kermode especially as a sort of love letter to movies themselves.

But it wasn’t. It was a weak chase movie with cardboard characters. The central concept of using music along with the visuals never worked that well because, IMO, they picked the wrong music. Nothing they used was especially memorable and it barely seemed to tie into the editing of the action either at times. Tarantino would have done it better and has done stuff like this better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Baby Driver was not as good as it was made out to be. A couple of nice set pieces and a good soundtrack do not a great movie make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 11:28 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Did anyone try the Swamp Thing series yet?  I watched the first 2 episodes and really wanted to like it.  The series so far has established some interesting storyarcs -- stopping the "green flu", Swamp Thing figuring out what he is, the impending war between the green and the rot.  Yet, I can't bring myself to keep watching because I can't stomach all of the gory violence and body horror that they keep putting on the screen.

I think this was cancelled after the first episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

This latest season of attack on Titan has just been epic

Agree! This "season" had probably the best episodes of the whole series. I am tempted to start reading the manga, but I will not, since the anime is done very well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched David Lynch’s Lost Highway for the first time last night. I really liked it. Can never get enough of Patricia Arquette, and she was great as usual. So was Bill Pullman. He’s kind of an underrated actor, imo. Wish he was in more good stuff. Other than the series, The Sinner,  I can’t remember the last time I saw him in something decent. I really missed him in Lost Highway during the middle act when the switch happens. Robert Blake’s character was fucking terrifying. Classic Lynch. 

Also, I loved Baby Driver. Eiza González :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, me too. I think what hurt the film was having its best chase scene at the start. I also think it's a little reductive to call it just a soundtrack, i.e., I think it does a lot more with it's music than most other films. The combination of visual storytelling being in sync with the music really stood out to me; I would also disagree with it being the 'wrong' musical choice - what does 'wrong' music even mean? The weakest part of the movie for me is the central romance, I wasn't really invested in that at all. But I think Foxx, Hamm & Spacey are pretty good. Unfortunately, since the multiple accusations against Spacey have come out, I can't quite bring myself to watch the movie again.

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah, me too. I think what hurt the film was having its best chase scene at the start. I also think it's a little reductive to call it just a soundtrack, i.e., I think it does a lot more with it's music than most other films. The combination of visual storytelling being in sync with the music really stood out to me; I would also disagree with it being the 'wrong' musical choice - what does 'wrong' music even mean? The weakest part of the movie for me is the central romance, I wasn't really invested in that at all. But I think Foxx, Hamm & Spacey are pretty good. Unfortunately, since the multiple accusations against Spacey have come out, I can't quite bring myself to watch the movie again.

What I meant was that timing music and visuals is really not a new thing, it gets done all the time. The Fury Road trailer is a brilliant example of syncing audio and visuals perfectly to make you feel like your heart is going to burst.

The music in baby driver did nothing for me. I barely remember what they even used and except in one scene it wasn’t even even noticeable. There are certain iconic tracks that move you and just work, and I felt they picked some pretty bang average or predictable songs and it hurt the movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sure - it might not be a new thing to you, but it's new to other people. I'm sorry it didn't do anything for you - even as someone who doesn't really listen to that kind of music, I love the soundtrack and it has stayed with me since I've seen the movie. Also, re: Fury Road, that's a trailer, not a movie. I can remember *some* scenes from Fury road and the music, but it's nowhere close to the number of scenes I can remember from Baby Driver and the music in that film. As soon as I hear the music, I can picture the scene, and weirdly enough, I've seen Fury Road more times than Baby Driver.

'Certain iconic tracks' - is totally subjective, and clearly they didn't work for you. Totally did for me. Which is why your statement re 'wrong music' is kinda weird.

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-watching Season 3 of Last Kingdom.  It's even better this time around.  The 10 episodes instead of the 8 per seasons 1 and 2 were used very well by the writers, helping them with better pacing, among other elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Sure - it might not be a new thing to you, but it's new to other people. I'm sorry it didn't do anything for you - even as someone who doesn't really listen to that kind of music, I love the soundtrack and it has stayed with me since I've seen the movie. Also, re: Fury Road, that's a trailer, not a movie. I can remember *some* scenes from Fury road and the music, but it's nowhere close to the number of scenes I can remember from Baby Driver and the music in that film. As soon as I hear the music, I can picture the scene, and weirdly enough, I've seen Fury Road more times than Baby Driver.

'Certain iconic tracks' - is totally subjective, and clearly they didn't work for you. Totally did for me. Which is why your statement re 'wrong music' is kinda weird.

Have to say, I consider Fury Road to have one of the best soundtracks that pair with the movie. However I think my judgement is distorted in that I consider it one of the best movies made in the last 20 years. It's flawless. I can't think of a single negative criticism I might have over it. The visuals, the score, the pace, the action, the characters.. are a perfect blend of entertainment. I don't watch a lot of TV these days, but if it's on when flipping through channels, I'm instantly sucked in. I don't think a more rewatchable movie has been made since The Shawshank Redemption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I think Fury Road is great too.  I think it's a better film than Baby Driver, but I think Baby Driver's melding of the soundtrack and the visuals have stuck to me more than Fury Road's. Fury Road's sountrack sort of melds together for me, as opposed to Baby Driver where I can associate every song with a particular scene ( IE - Harlem shuffle with the scene of him getting coffee)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Toy Story 4 (yes, alone. Yes, the screening was full of families with younger children*. Suck it). It wasn’t perfect, but it didnt feel like a blatant cash grab and there were some genuinely brilliant moments. And the animation was unbelievable. Seriously the animators working on this, sheriff’s hat off to them, it was to infinity and beyond** good.

Couple of points 

Spoiler

While the new characters were great, it was slightly disappointing to see the core cast sidelined so much. This was basically Woody goes in an adventure with a couple of Buzz scenes thrown in.

 

Buzz was the worst part of this film. They just made him a complete idiot to the point he is even worse than in the original Toy Story. Completely tossed out 3 films of character work.

 

Gabby Gabby was awesome and her henchmen were horrifying. 

 

I loved Bo Peep. And that her three headed sheep was named Billy, Goat and Gruff.

 

 

*i must say these were some freakishly scary well behaved children though. Not a (Bo) Peep out of them from the beginning of the film to the end

**thats the last pun i swear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Re-watching Season 3 of Last Kingdom.  It's even better this time around.  The 10 episodes instead of the 8 per seasons 1 and 2 were used very well by the writers, helping them with better pacing, among other elements.

Any news on when the next season is coming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×