Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

33 minutes ago, Jussi said:

• A BELOVED CLASSIC—NOW FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TRADE PAPERBACK:

Weird, I'm sure I've owned a trade paperback for 18 years (it's not impossible I'm mistaken since I've been in Germany for the last 12 of those and it hasn't, but I'm pretty sure it's a big chunky paperback). Unless they mean just in the US. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Weird, I'm sure I've owned a trade paperback for 18 years (it's not impossible I'm mistaken since I've been in Germany for the last 12 of those and it hasn't, but I'm pretty sure it's a big chunky paperback). Unless they mean just in the US. 

I have the UK trade paperback. I assume they are talking about the US market.

Sorry in advance, I have not followed the development of Lynch’s writing updates/development in detail after RoT (I started reading some time after it was published). 

So barring that I may be naive, but if his post is anything else than a soft confirmation that the fourth book is to be confirmed in a very short time, or at the minimum that the writing is on track with a very firm timeline for completion and release, then I am honestly very disappointed and will loose faith in any author update in the future. 

Because to me this response is very straight forward and binary, either a) you have a genuine and real belief in releasing your book, or b) you are deliberately misguiding to play on the hunger for release to promote something else. Feel free to enlightened me/argue, please, but to me there is really no middle ground here. 

And for what it is worth, I am a huge fan of Lynch, and LoLL is one of my favourite  books. Even if I think that 2&3 are not as great, to me the series as a whole stands out as one of the better ones in fantasy and I really look forward to the continuation and conclusion and I am 100% rooting for Lynch to finish (at his own speed).

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yes, this is the first American trade paperback edition.

12 hours ago, Pellert said:

Sorry in advance, I have not followed the development of Lynch’s writing updates/development in detail after RoT (I started reading some time after it was published). 

So barring that I may be naive, but if his post is anything else than a soft confirmation that the fourth book is to be confirmed in a very short time, or at the minimum that the writing is on track with a very firm timeline for completion and release, then I am honestly very disappointed and will loose faith in any author update in the future. 

Because to me this response is very straight forward and binary, either a) you have a genuine and real belief in releasing your book, or b) you are deliberately misguiding to play on the hunger for release to promote something else. Feel free to enlightened me/argue, please, but to me there is really no middle ground here. 

The complication in this situation is Lynch's mental health. Lynch is fully capable of writing a 400-500 page novel in under twelve months. In fact, he's often said that the bulk of his books have taken months to write rather than years, but he's then lost years in editing, rewriting and not doing anything at all due to a crippling mental block and inability to do so. He had a working draft of The Thorn of Emberlain in 2019, if not considerably earlier, and ended up with paralysis on just hitting the "send" button on it.

The issue more seems to come up that when Lynch changes medication or makes some unexpectedly good progress for a while, he can suddenly be flooded with optimism and provide hugely positive updates and everything seems great, only for things to backslide and then go radio silent for a year or two.

He made a similarly sweeping update a year or so ago, but this time noted it was accompanied by a major change in medication and a new approach to therapy. So far that seems to be holding more firmly, with him sending off some more short fiction for publication, completing work on three novellas he'd had on hold with Subterranean Press for a decade, and apparently completing revisions to The Thorn of Emberlain. Hopefully that continues.

For that reason I treat a Lynch update with some caution, but am always happy to see him optimistic. His mental health battle is formidable, and carrying it out in public cannot be easy.

I also think that, although not really our business how it affected him, it feels almost impossible that the accusations against him and Bear in 2020 didn't have some effect (especially since whether the 'grooming' allegations were true or not- I'm inclined to believe not for a few reasons, but you never know- it was a public airing out of problems in his marriage). 

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

The complication in this situation is Lynch's mental health. Lynch is fully capable of writing a 400-500 page novel in under twelve months. In fact, he's often said that the bulk of his books have taken months to write rather than years, but he's then lost years in editing, rewriting and not doing anything at all due to a crippling mental block and inability to do so. He had a working draft of The Thorn of Emberlain in 2019, if not considerably earlier, and ended up with paralysis on just hitting the "send" button on it.

The issue more seems to come up that when Lynch changes medication or makes some unexpectedly good progress for a while, he can suddenly be flooded with optimism and provide hugely positive updates and everything seems great, only for things to backslide and then go radio silent for a year or two.

He made a similarly sweeping update a year or so ago, but this time noted it was accompanied by a major change in medication and a new approach to therapy. So far that seems to be holding more firmly, with him sending off some more short fiction for publication, completing work on three novellas he'd had on hold with Subterranean Press for a decade, and apparently completing revisions to The Thorn of Emberlain. Hopefully that continues.

For that reason I treat a Lynch update with some caution, but am always happy to see him optimistic. His mental health battle is formidable, and carrying it out in public cannot be easy.

Thanks! I knew of the mental illness to a certain degree, but not to the depth you described it here. 

Of course it is awful and I only wish Scott the best, regardless of what that is. 
The key point of my first point still stands though, but in view of your explanation it might come across as a bit harsh, so I’ll moderate it to that I then hope that at least the post is written “in honest and good faith at this point in time” that a release of ToE is upcoming in not too distant future.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, Pellert said:

See the ongoing thread for Patrick Rothfuss for behavior b). Come for the misguiding, stay for the misdirection and outright lying. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw a Reddit post that showed a preorder date of this September.

Dunno how reliable that would be.

I just saw a post by a YouTube "Book Tuber" who said Lynch will be publishing some novellas with stories set in the time period between his third and fourth novels, so perhaps in terms of these preorder date speculations some people are confusing the novellas with the fourth novel. 

Edited by Ormond
add YouTube link

On 3/6/2024 at 3:45 PM, Werthead said:

At the moment I'd put money on Lynch delivering before GRRM or Rothfuss, and GRRM before Rothfuss.

From the look of the updates on Patreon, JV Jones will beat all three of them.

And I'd like to know if Clive Barker will ever finish the Abarat series. :)

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

And I'd like to know if Clive Barker will ever finish the Abarat series. :)

Good news on that front

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3803050/clive-barker-making-final-convention-appearances-to-focus-entirely-on-writing-heres-whats-coming-exclusive/

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 4:45 PM, Werthead said:

At the moment I'd put money on Lynch delivering before GRRM or Rothfuss, and GRRM before Rothfuss.

From the look of the updates on Patreon, JV Jones will beat all three of them.

I’m a member of her Patreon, and it seems to me like she’s doing well. 

I hope that Endlords’ eventual publication will spark interest in her back catalogue and spur more sales of her previous books.