The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

I'm intrigued, people have been saying for a long time that a series / movie / game / whatever which explores Star Wars' seedy underworld could have potential.

What I don't like is that Jon Favreau apparently tweeted that The Mandalorian would lead into the sequel trilogy. This makes me sad. I was hoping that Favreau, as a true Star Wars fan, would recognize the need to wipe the sequel trilogy from the collective memory of humankind.

With any sense, it'll tie back to the Han Solo movie to continue fleshing that out a little...even as it looks forward too...

And we can just hope that Favreau means that the Mandalorian will tie into the new, improved, we don't know what you mean when you say there already was one, sequel trilogy...

Listen, if you ask me to pretend a Star Wars movie never happened I guarantee you 10 times out of 10 I'm picking the Han Solo movie over the sequel trilogy. Not that the Solo movie is offensive, it's just... pointless.

The trailer looks pretty entertaining. I'll watch!

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

What I don't like is that Jon Favreau apparently tweeted that The Mandalorian would lead into the sequel trilogy. This makes me sad. I was hoping that Favreau, as a true Star Wars fan, would recognize the need to wipe the sequel trilogy from the collective memory of humankind.

I mean, it's already hinted at that.  The S2 episode where they broke into the Imperial compound on the cliff...there were some tanks (bacta?) filled with some "Snoke-like" figures.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And we can just hope that Favreau means that the Mandalorian will tie into the new, improved, we don't know what you mean when you say there already was one, sequel trilogy...

I would be ok with them shamelessly retconning the sequel trilogy. 

20 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I would be ok with them shamelessly retconning the sequel trilogy. 

At that point though, just reboot the thing. Like over half the movies are "meh" to outright bad. 

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

At that point though, just reboot the thing. Like over half the movies are "meh" to outright bad. 

Seems safest to me to just go back and put any new series and movies in The Old Republic era.  Find someone that loves the lore of Star Wars in all its broken mess glory and wants to build something new inside that framework with essentially a blank canvas.

"A longer time ago... in a galaxy far, far away..."

I know it's well loved because we get to see Darth Vader kill a bunch of people in a hallway, but I'd argue that Rogue 1 is the most pointless Star Wars movie. It was basically a pointless story, that told us something we already knew and by the end just about every character is dead. Heck it even makes the beginning of A New Hope seem silly now.

23 minutes ago, sifth said:

I know it's well loved because we get to see Darth Vader kill a bunch of people in a hallway, but I'd argue that Rogue 1 is the most pointless Star Wars movie. It was basically a pointless story, that told us something we already knew and by the end just about every character is dead. Heck it even makes the beginning of A New Hope seem silly now.

Solo, on the other hand, tells us the origin story of Han's trousers and canonises years of internet discussions of how the parsecs thing wasn't really a mistake if you think of it this way.

17 minutes ago, mormont said:

Solo, on the other hand, tells us the origin story of Han's trousers and canonises years of internet discussions of how the parsecs thing wasn't really a mistake if you think of it this way.

Ohh, by all means I hate Solo as well, probably more than all the sequel films, which I really, REALLY don't like. Aside from The Mandalorian and the final season of the Clone Wars, I've just hated all of the Disney properties in different ways. I think Rogue One is probably the film I'm the most divisive on, since for everything I liked in it, there is at least one thing I hated. I was just saying narrative speaking it felt beyond pointless.  

I don't hate Solo, to be clear. It's fine. It's not hurting anything. It's just silly and a bit of a waste of time. It can be safely ignored.

I really like the first two sequel films, and I wish The Rise of Skywalker wasn't such a hot mess (though largely its biggest problems are caused by trying to walk back everything that was interesting in The Last Jedi). But Star Wars as a franchise has always been resilient enough to cope with things that were tried and didn't work. Apart from the racism in the prequels, perhaps.

If this series ties into the sequel films, I'm up for that.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Absolutely. Even the Darth Vader stuff is shoehorned in and doesn't connect to the main plot - it would have been far better if he'd been hunting down the actual characters, rather than a bunch of extras who never even met them. And the thermal port being a deliberate flaw was a completely unnecessary retcon; it would be more implausible for a machine built on such a staggering scale not to have any exploitable weaknesses at all.

44 minutes ago, mormont said:

It does go a bit overboard on the references, yes, but I don't think they get in the way of the story. I'm pretty sure somebody with no prior knowledge of the Star Wars universe could watch and enjoy it. Maul at the end is a bit out of the blue, but really that's equivalent to the Thanos cameo at the end of Avengers. For me, Solo is easily the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy; it's fun, and all the others have much, much bigger flaws.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Seems safest to me to just go back and put any new series and movies in The Old Republic era.  Find someone that loves the lore of Star Wars in all its broken mess glory and wants to build something new inside that framework with essentially a blank canvas.

"A longer time ago... in a galaxy far, far away..."

I thought that was the plan, actually. After a brief hiatus from making Star Wars movies. They were going to release some books and stuff to set it up? 

Yeah. Rogue One is the one redeeming movie of the last five...it isn't perfect, but it certainly fits the existing narrative and does (almost seamlessly, almost) bridge the gap.  It also made that difficult choice, the redeeming choice, to kill off their core group of protagonists, letting the original trilogy then proceed on its course without trying to rewrite what the fans already knew...

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

To be fair, all the films are silly and a bit of a waste of time. They’re homages to Flash Gordon films of the 30’s.

What are you doing in this thread? :lol:

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah. Rogue One is the one redeeming movie of the last five...it isn't perfect, but it certainly fits the existing narrative and does (almost seamlessly, almost) bridge the gap.  It also made that difficult choice, the redeeming choice, to kill off their core group of protagonists, letting the original trilogy then proceed on its course without trying to rewrite what the fans already knew...

I think you can go even further and argue it's the third best SW movie. Yes, it's not necessary by any means, but it's actually well done, which is more than you can say about most of the films in the series after the OT.

God fuck this argument in the ear, again.

So this Book of Boba Fett looks humorless and drab, revisiting one of the least interesting parts of the original series with an even less compelling version of a cypher from that show. 

16 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

God fuck this argument in the ear, again.

So this Book of Boba Fett looks humorless and drab, revisiting one of the least interesting parts of the original series with an even less compelling version of a cypher from that show. 

Was there really much of a thought that it was going to be any other way?

Archived