DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

Well Peacemaker was a lot of fun. I can't believe a show about a character I hated so much in the Suicide Squad film, could have so much heart and soul. I guess redemption stories are always nice, but this one just left me with so many warm feelings and great laughs. Also the music was amazing, which is pretty much standard for any James Gunn project.

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

Well Peacemaker was a lot of fun. I can't believe a show about a character I hated so much in the Suicide Squad film, could have so much heart and soul. I guess redemption stories are always nice, but this one just left me with so many warm feelings and great laughs. Also the music was amazing, which is pretty much standard for any James Gunn project.

I didn't hate Peacemaker in TSS but this definitely improved the character immensely and allowed John Cena to deliver a good performance. A show that was much more entertaining and well constructed than I expected. The cameo in the finale was hilarious. 

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I didn't hate Peacemaker in TSS but this definitely improved the character immensely and allowed John Cena to deliver a good performance. A show that was much more entertaining and well constructed than I expected. The cameo in the finale was hilarious. 

I hope we get to see other characters from The Suicide Squad film return in someway shape or form. I'm not gona lie, when I briefly saw a rat, in the season final, my heart jumped, just for a second.

Plus a really good friend of mine absolutely loves Ratcatcher 2. She plans to cosplay as her, in the near future.

They should give Ratcatcher 2 her own solo movie, if only to confuse people.

I was thinking earlier that the Butterfly plot kinda ended just as it was getting really interesting

Spoiler

There were a lot of dots on that map of possessed people all over the world. They were taking over important people to try to control governments and companies. Now they're all doomed, but not instantly. Since they're global there must have been other bottling plants and stockpiles for the short term. (where was Not-Murn getting his anyway?)

Like Peacemaker basically tells Superman to fuck off, but the day isn't remotely saved yet.

I suspect season two will be about something else entirely but it'd be cool to see how the butterflies choose to go out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to watching Peacemaker today, very good James Gunn fare.  Perhaps it was a bit hyped up for me - both on this board but more so my brother constantly asking me if I've started watching it yet.  Cena was indeed very funny, but I'm not particularly surprised.  What I do find ironic is the icon of WWE's PG era starred in the most profane mainstream comic book movie/show I've seen (at least from DC or Marvel).

I thought the season was very well constructed and executed, which is what I've come to appreciate and respect out of Gunn.  The friendship between Peacemaker and Leota, as well as their similarities derived from their parents, driving the story.  Also thought the guy who played Deadpool Vigilante stood out.  Couple spoilery thoughts...

Spoiler

I loved Robert Patrick playing Cena's asshole dad, but could've done without the super-Nazi stuff.  What, does every superhero thing HBO does now have to involve white supremacist groups as a secondary villain/red herring?

The speech the main butterfly gave to Cena at the end - "Goff" - was quite the persuasive argument.  Gunn did a pretty great job there interweaving social commentary into his story.  I hope Adam McKay was taking notes.  Also liked Cena's explanation for why he didn't go along with it.

I guess one reason I wasn't as enthused as others is a lot of it was Gunn relying on his old tricks.  The source music and its use, in particular, was a little much.  Although part of that may be I didn't like the music he used here nearly as much as what he used in Guardians.  Still, the bit with Cena and Vigilante trying to get the eagle to fly the helmet to a certain place in the finale was a way-too-on-the-nose ripoff of Rocket and Yondu trying to get Baby Groot to retrieve Yondu's arrow in GOTG 2.

On 2/20/2022 at 12:53 AM, RumHam said:

They should give Ratcatcher 2 her own solo movie, if only to confuse people.

I was thinking earlier that the Butterfly plot kinda ended just as it was getting really interesting

Hide contents

There were a lot of dots on that map of possessed people all over the world. They were taking over important people to try to control governments and companies. Now they're all doomed, but not instantly. Since they're global there must have been other bottling plants and stockpiles for the short term. (where was Not-Murn getting his anyway?)

Like Peacemaker basically tells Superman to fuck off, but the day isn't remotely saved yet.

I suspect season two will be about something else entirely but it'd be cool to see how the butterflies choose to go out. 

I mean we don't know if it's 100% over.

Spoiler

Goof is still alive, for example. The current rumor is that Slade might be the main villain for season 2, so who knows.

I really liked it and I'm curious to see where it goes.  Interesting that it is still firmly in the Snyderverse for now. Funny that they shot that JL scene with Batman in it too wearing the Batfleck suit but cut that out due to what supposedly happens in the upcoming flash movie.

Watched The Batman last night and I thought it was legitimately great.  Even more so because it was different.  He actually is a detective and most importantly 

Spoiler

He actually is a hero for the first time I believe on screen.  By that I mean not just being a hero by beating up people or stopping a missile.  He gets a genuine Superman moment and it is great.

I really liked the first three-quarters, I didn't like the end so much. 

Spoiler

It started to drag a bit, but more damagingly, it felt like something from a different film, and specifically from a Nolan one. Just the wrong tone to it for me. I did like the character wrinkles it gave to Riddler, with him still essentially having won and achieved almost all his objectives, but thinking he's lost because Batman won't be his friend and isn't as clever as he thought. But I think they could have found a more elegant way to get to that point.
I did thoroughly enjoy everything until then - the visuals, atmosphere and music, Batman doing detective work, Zoe Kravitz is great as Catwoman and their relationship definitely worked better for me than in TDKR. Worthwhile film.

Yeah, The Batman is pretty good. I would give it a 8.5/10. It does suffer from some low volume dialogue but it's not as bad as Tenet and I was able to get most of the dialogue. Overall a good (tech)noir detective story with just enough action to still call it a superhero movie. Pattinson did a great job emoting Batman. 

That was a really good movie, but it's long; VERY LONG.

It's sort of like that new Blade Runner film, where it's so long you have to plan your whole day around watching it.

I loved most of the film, but I'm not sure how I feel about the climax and ending. It felt almost out of place and as another user already posted; it felt like something from a different movie. I wonder if Covid had an effect on this movies ending, because the tone just feels completely off to me, compared to everything that came before.

Also Robert Pattinson nailed his Batman voice.

I saw it earlier today, and I don't know. I guess it was ok?

I managed to have a decent sleep last night, which kinda helped [but maybe not enough, sleep or help] but about 3/4ish into the film I realized something:

Spoiler

when the bat signal lit up, but by neither Gordon or Bruce, and both then find Selena beating the shit out of that corrupt cop? 

That was the point when I reckoned this movie would've been a lot tighter, and engaging, if it'd been told through Selena's pov. 

I can't help, but feel several events from last year influenced the climax of this film. I was sort of taken right out of the movie during a certain segment, shortly before the climax. 

I was going to try to watch this weekend, but the three hour runtime really was a hindrance to me.  I couldn't fit it in and around the other things we had going on.

Archived