DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I don't know if I'd call Batman Begins darker and gritter than the Burton movies.

It wasn't really following the Burton movies, though.  It was following the abject disasters that followed the Burton movies.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I don't know if I'd call Batman Begins darker and gritter than the Burton movies.

Maybe not darker but definitely grittier.  Also, the Burton movies were much lighter in tone.  They're actually pretty funny.

Caught this last a few days ago

1. I think Reeves had a vision and he totally went for it and the film 100 percent commits to this, and that won't be for everyone, but I respect that he's fully commited here to what he wants to do. I don't think it's a spoiler to give away the fact that the movie is bleak & 'gritty' and sorta maintains that tone throughout with very few laughs, though I think Selina Kyle and a couple of scenes with the penguin do try to *sorta* lighten the tone a bit - now I don't need my movies to have 'laughs' per se, but I think in an almost 3 hour movie I think I missed those moments. I think the dark knight toes this line better than this movie does, but again, Reeves went swinging for his vision, which I respect.

Some spoiler-ish thoughts

Spoiler

2. I don't think Serkis makes a good Alfred, I just didn't feel it with him

3. The climax in the stadium is easily the weakest part of the film, I don't really think we needed that.

4. Selina Kyle is great and I think Pattinson is excellent too.

5. I think the central plot is a little meh, it's good, but I think you can lose some of it and it wasn't as engaging as I thought it was going to be, especially as I found it a little bit tough to care about Thomas Wayne and whatever he did. Pattinson sells the impact of that well, which I think saves that bit of plot, but I dunno, I think they could have fleshed that out better, or at least made it more engaging.

6. The film is fucking gorgeous.

7. I need my boy Paul Dano to maybe get some roles where he isn't the certified creep in the movie.

8. Was it the joker reveal at the end? That didn't really work for me, tbh. And for the love of god, can we do *any* other antagonist other than the joker! We've seen so many versions. I want a different villian, and batman has enough good ones ( like clock king, obvs)

On 3/6/2022 at 8:32 AM, JEORDHl said:

I saw it earlier today, and I don't know. I guess it was ok?

I managed to have a decent sleep last night, which kinda helped [but maybe not enough, sleep or help] but about 3/4ish into the film I realized something:

Hide contents

when the bat signal lit up, but by neither Gordon or Bruce, and both then find Selena beating the shit out of that corrupt cop? 

That was the point when I reckoned this movie would've been a lot tighter, and engaging, if it'd been told through Selena's pov. 

There is a LOT of shit in this movie that doesn't make sense, really. Most of it involving the Riddler being able to do whatever he wants until he decides to get caught. 

The ending was bad, and pointless. Wish they would stop going for these big endings.

Otherwise, i thought the movie looked great, and enjoyed the first half of it a lot. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

There is a LOT of shit in this movie that doesn't make sense, really. Most of it involving the Riddler being able to do whatever he wants until he decides to get caught. 

The ending was bad, and pointless. Wish they would stop going for these big endings.

Otherwise, i thought the movie looked great, and enjoyed the first half of it a lot. 

Yea, the Riddler's line about

Spoiler

not physically being able to get close to Falcone, to kill him doesn't make a lot of sense, given all of the physical effort he showed to take down all of his other victims earlier in the film. For the mayor of Gotham, he had to scale the mans gates, break into his house, all the while doing this in a stealthy manner.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Yea, the Riddler's line about

Hide contents

not physically being able to get close to Falcone, to kill him doesn't make a lot of sense, given all of the physical effort he showed to take down all of his other victims earlier in the film. For the mayor of Gotham, he had to scale the mans gates, break into his house, all the while doing this in a stealthy manner.

Spoiler

But we see Batman having somewhat of a hard time getting in where Falcone is. Through seeing the three times Batman gets in there in various ways I would say we get the implication that Falcone's place is highly secure and his travel outside the club is maybe less predictable than the other victims and always has bodyguards. 

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

But we see Batman having somewhat of a hard time getting in where Falcone is. Through seeing the three times Batman gets in there in various ways I would say we get the implication that Falcone's place is highly secure and his travel outside the club is maybe less predictable than the other victims and always has bodyguards. 

I guess, just seems like a reach to me is all.

Spoiler

I feel like their are all sorts of ways the Riddler could have gotten to Falcone, had he really wanted to kill him. Put a bomb in his car, poison one of his meals, maybe place a bomb in his house and so on. The guy is suppose to be a super genius after all. 

On 3/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, sifth said:

That was a really good movie, but it's long; VERY LONG.

It's sort of like that new Blade Runner film, where it's so long you have to plan your whole day around watching it.

That’s exactly what I had to do.  Last weekend I was out of town for a basketball tournament with my son; on Saturday it was an evening game… I had hoped to watch Batman during the day; but the showtimes didn’t fit around the other things going on because it was so long.  Couldn’t fit it in during the week.  Finally today; because we had a last minute cancellation in our schedule I went out and watched it alone. Had to catch it after church and if there hadn’t been a 12:30 showing; the next one was at 4… so I almost wasn’t able to see it today.  :dunno:   Also had to duck out mid film when Catwoman is monologuing on her parentage to use the bathroom because my middle aged bladder is not cast iron like it used to be! :crying:

Loved the movie.  Generally agree that the end climax felt a bit out of place; but I didn’t hate it.  The movie felt like crossing Se7en with the Nolan Bat movies.  I thought it worked.

Spoiler

I don’t follow the Batman comics too closely.  I’ve read a few omnibuses of things like Knightfall, Long Halloween, etc.

Does Bruce typically journal?  It felt very much like Rorsach from Watchmen.

Part of me was almost expecting that there would be a twist where you find out that what you thought was Bruce journaling would turn out to be The Riddler all along.

Watched first episode of the new season of Upload. Should I continue though? Realised very quickly I have no interest in the central romance, and this episode seemed to leverage it quite heavily, and the show does as well. Problem is that they separated out the two main characters and sent one of them on a not very interesting diversion. 

Without the quirky, funny online elements, this show really is quite empty and not very good, maybe I just realised that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good scene taken individually but I'm glad they cut it. It's an obvious nod to The Long Halloween, which obviously the whole film is inspired by though not really based on, but in that there were good reasons for Batman to visit the villain he visited and get his perspective, and here there wouldn't really have been any.

Also they might not have wanted to lock in a Joker/Batman relationship before they decide what they're actually gonna do with Joker. 

19 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

A good scene, but maybe it was good it was deleted. Joker pegged The Riddler right away

HOLY CRAP THAT WENT A DIFFERENT DIRECTION THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD

Archived