LØkI - see ya later, LØkIgator (Spoilers)

Kalbear

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think everyone is overthinking the show.

The show was made to tell an entertaining story.  None of the branches or time travels or any of it makes sense… because it’s not supposed to.  This isnt some deep abiding philosophical discussion of the nature of time and the universe… it’s a comic book.  It’s surface deep and we are supposed to sit back and enjoy it.

If you can’t at that level.  That’s okay!  You aren’t the target audience.

Oh, I don't know about that. If you're engaged enough to sit and argue about how the time travel works (or doesn't), Marvel probably do think you're in the target audience. You're just not the exclusive audience.

But you're right - as I've said before, about time travel specifically and superhero stuff in general, it's unrealistic to expect them to have perfectly logical and consistent rules. They're just not that kind of story.

9 hours ago, john MCG said:

I was thinking more of how he fooled Thanos, which our Loki apparently couldn’t do. At the very least, somehow REG Loki had more awareness of his inherent abilities than our Loki did.

Yeah didn't he say something about how not relying on knives led to him focusing on improving his magic?

Though it is possible that our Loki did fool Thanos and during Endgame is sitting alone on some planet like Old Loki did. I don't think so though. 

I don't really understand why Old Loki isolated himself after cheating death. He didn't know about the TVA until he decided to rejoin the world.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah didn't he say something about how not relying on knives led to him focusing on improving his magic?

Though it is possible that our Loki did fool Thanos and during Endgame is sitting alone on some planet like Old Loki did. I don't think so though. 

I don't really understand why Old Loki isolated himself after cheating death. He didn't know about the TVA until he decided to rejoin the world.

Maybe he thought it would be better if Thor thought he was dead?

9 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Maybe he thought it would be better if Thor thought he was dead?

I understand not revealing himself to Thor but there must be plenty of populated planets he could have lived on.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Oh yeah, good point. That does emphasise that new our Loki, variant Loki, is the good guy now. Even if it’s just because he thinks he died. Although, like you say, I’m pretty sure old our Loki did die a heroic death.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I understand not revealing himself to Thor but there must be plenty of populated planets he could have lived on.

He says that he came to the realization that everywhere he went, pain followed, so that's why he stayed on a remote planet. It makes sense, his actions brought Thanos on the heads of the last remaining Asgardians.

Yeah I think it makes sense in terms of our Loki's arc as well that he'd just stay isolated.  The last thing he says before Thanos shows up is asking Thor if it's really a good idea to bring him to earth.  His guilt seemed to finally catch up with him, and then with Thanos destroying the ship and half of the survivors, I could see him wanting to languish in self-imposed exile for quite awhile.

The other obvious thing is that he faked his death around Thanos. He probably doesn't want word to get out to him that he's still alive and kicking. At least for a while. 

If we have learnt anything from these Marvel shows its that speculation is utterly pointless, because there isn't any deeper meaning or hidden stuff going on with any of them, they are just fun fluff.

Having said that, I've only just caught up with Loki and I love it. Its by far the best of these TV shows so far, and probably tops most of their movies. I'll have to see the last episode to make sure it doesn't totally jump the shark / alligator but otherwise it's been refreshingly consistent and entertaining.

Falcon and Scarlet Witch shows both had their moments, but also both ended up being pretty meh by the end of things due to the Marvel Disney thing of going super bland CGI fightfest with everything as a requirement or just not having engaging enough characters. This Loki show has got a bloody good cast though and Hiddleston has really shown why he was been such a great pick for the character since the first movie, and why they have kept him around.

13 hours ago, Kaligator said:

The other obvious thing is that he faked his death around Thanos. He probably doesn't want word to get out to him that he's still alive and kicking. At least for a while. 

Well right now the TVA's file for Loki ends with Thanos killing him.  They're not going to be fooled by regular magic, so I think Loki was fated by the "time lords," or whatever, to die on that ship in the "sacred timeline."   

It also leaves a Loki shaped hole in our regular universe, for this Loki to step back into if the TVA is somehow out of the picture.  Possibly just at the right time in the next Thor movie to help save the day and quickly show how he's changed before Thor gets too pissed off.

"Loki! You're alive!  Wait. . .where the hell have you been?"

"Brother. . .if I told you, you'd just call me a liar and hit me, so let's just skip it and say I'm back and I've really learned a valuable lesson on family."

7 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

It makes me wonder if TH loki can go to 2023 or later and meet Thor. Thor may think he is dead but would it really cause a problem?

After all Loki has put Thor through, our Thor is probably still half expecting Loki to pop out of a closet and shout "fooled you" again.  

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Having said that, I've only just caught up with Loki and I love it. Its by far the best of these TV shows so far, and probably tops most of their movies. I'll have to see the last episode to make sure it doesn't totally jump the shark / alligator but otherwise it's been refreshingly consistent and entertaining.

Yeah agreed, I find myself eagerly anticipating the final episode. Not because I want it to be over, but because I want more of this. Whatever they are paying the people involved in this series, they should pay them more.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

Well right now the TVA's file for Loki ends with Thanos killing him.  They're not going to be fooled by regular magic, so I think Loki was fated by the "time lords," or whatever, to die on that ship in the "sacred timeline."   

It also leaves a Loki shaped hole in our regular universe, for this Loki to step back into if the TVA is somehow out of the picture.  Possibly just at the right time in the next Thor movie to help save the day and quickly show how he's changed before Thor gets too pissed off.

"Loki! You're alive!  Wait. . .where the hell have you been?"

"Brother. . .if I told you, you'd just call me a liar and hit me, so let's just skip it and say I'm back and I've really learned a valuable lesson on family."

I reckon there's a pretty good chance this Hiddleston Loki dies too in the upcoming episode, and the one returning to the main universe will be SylvieLoki.

That or Sylvie dies and 'our' Loki turns into a woman in grief/as tribute/because he thinks the idea of a lady Loki is aces, but while that would be pretty nice in confirming the fluidity of the character, it'd be storytelling wise a bit shit.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I reckon there's a pretty good chance this Hiddleston Loki dies too in the upcoming episode, and the one returning to the main universe will be SylvieLoki.

That or Sylvie dies and 'our' Loki turns into a woman in grief/as tribute/because he thinks the idea of a lady Loki is aces, but while that would be pretty nice in confirming the fluidity of the character, it'd be storytelling wise a bit shit.

Almost certainly (if either carry on in the main MCU).

I can't see an of these TV shows ending with a different main storyline than they started with. They don't want to make it that, in order to understand the films, you have to have watched the shows - that's a pretty good way of wringing the neck of the golden goose

Yeah when the show was announced figured it was Hiddleston's swan song.  He's been playing the role for a decade.  Then when they introduced Sylvie, gotta figure that's his replacement.  If there is a replacement.  Don't really see why they'd need one, but that seems to be what this period is about.  And hey, they got me on board with this one - would love to see Sylvie meet Thor.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

would love to see Sylvie meet Thor.

As long as things stay platonic. For whatever reason the thought of that weirds me out more than Loki on Loki action. 

26 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I agree Sylvie will probably be the one to cross over, maybe Kid Loki can join the Young Avengers somehow? But unless it's a big fake-out they're supposedly doing a season two and I can't see that happening without Hiddelston. 

Though if the bad guy is another Hiddelston Loki then show Loki could die and he'll just be a villain next time. 

Just now, RumHam said:

As long as things stay platonic. For whatever reason the thought of that weirds me out more than Loki on Loki action. 

Absolutely.  Besides, methinks Thor has enough love interests.  Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Jaime Alexander, all in Love and Thunder.  Fuck off Hemsworth.

Archived