MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

dfficult to know if the ratings is based on aesthetics or politics.  the diverse cast, positive representation of same sex marriage, and critique of imperialism and US policy is certain to rile the fascists.  i can imagine glib rightwingers complaining about CRT at the cinema.

Spoiler

Not sure what the purpose of the Deviant absorbing their powers really was in the end, as he was unceremoniously cut to pieces.

my bet is that kro returns.  comic eternals and deviants are difficult to destroy. moreover--

Spoiler

he and thena have kids in the books.

regarding jon snow--

Spoiler

they foreshadow him in the earlier scene regarding excalibur versus the ebony blade.

8 hours ago, sologdin said:

dfficult to know if the ratings is based on aesthetics or politics.  the diverse cast, positive representation of same sex marriage, and critique of imperialism and US policy is certain to rile the fascists.  i can imagine glib rightwingers complaining about CRT at the cinema.

Somehow I doubt it. If that were the case I'd expect to see review bombing out of flyover country, which would impact the audience score. Professional critics tend to place themselves at the more progressive end of the spectrum.

Even Joker, which had strong themes of class warfare and income inequality (which apparently went over most critics heads) didn't get hammered this hard. 

I saw Eternals yesterday. I liked it, from the trailers I had been a bit worried about the plot and how it would handle introducing so many new character but I think both aspects worked better than I had feared. I think it was good that there was more to the story than building up to a fight against a bunch of CGI monsters, that was still something that happened but it wasn't really the primary focus. It might not have had time to go into a great deal of depth with any one of the individual characters but as an introduction to a large ensemble cast I thought it was effective. I wouldn't rank it as one of the best MCU films (it's not as good as Shang-Chi out of recent films) but better than some of them and more distinctive than something like [i]Black Widow[/i].

I did think that judged on its own it didn't really benefit much from the MCU connection and would have worked just as well (possibly better) as a standalone, although I'm sure some of the things introduced here will become more important going forward.

While I liked Alfred Molina as Doc Ock, I'm not sure I really want to see him reprise his role in this next movie. And I definitely have no interest in Green Goblin. I was tired of the Goblin in the 3rd Tobey Maguire movie and they still kept bringing him back. I know he has iconic storylines with Peter and Spiderman, but jeez, Spiderman has he best rogue's gallery in all of comics after Batman, and they keep going back to the Green Goblin.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yes and yes.

One of those pics has a John Campea show watermark. Someone might have some 'splaining to do.

Yeah I thought that was odd. I'm not sure who he is but why not like dump them somewhere anonymously.

28 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah I thought that was odd. I'm not sure who he is but why not like dump them somewhere anonymously.

Formerly of AMC movietalk and Collider video. Now independent. Managed to stay relevant enough to keep doing movie news as a career thanks to his access, particularly regarding capeshit and Star Wars stuff. Has occasionally been accused of being a studio shill. Same old , same old.

After all the teases, if Nicholas Hammond doesn't show up in costume, I'm going to be very disappointed.

ETA: TIL OG Peter Parker was a Von Trapp. I never knew.

Archived