MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

20 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The bus scene annoyed be because why the fuck did cutting the brake line mean the bus didn't just coast to a halt when the driver took his foot off the accelerator.

The bus would stop regardless of the accelerator. 

5 hours ago, lmanion said:

What did it do? Haven't seen the film but let's say they cut both brake lines the busses handbrake should come on almost immediately. Assuming of course the bus is somewhat modern meaning it would have air brakes

Yes it is and yes it would. The bus is a shiny new bendy bus that has air brakes, guaranteed. And it wouldn't be the "hand brake" it would be "the brakes".

This is a common trope going way back; getting the "cutting the brake lines" stuff backward for largish vehicles. Mad Max: Fury Road got it right. I can't think of many films that do.  

20 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Like I said, they want to make money off X-men, but don't want anything new because they either don't know what the X-men movies will look like or they don't want to reveal it too soon.

What does that mean? This show is picking up where the 90s cartoon left off, so it doesn't look like they're going back to Dark Phoenix, Genosha Island, Days of the future Past, everything already covered.

16 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

What does that mean? This show is picking up where the 90s cartoon left off, so it doesn't look like they're going back to Dark Pheonix, Genova Island, Days of the future Past, everything already covered.

The primary function of the cartoons is introduce kids to the X-men characters to make money off movies later. But right now they don't want a brand new cartoon, with different looks and possible alterations in personalities, powers, relationships, etc, either because they don't know how MCU X-men will look or they don't want to reveal yet, so there would be no point in introducing kids to characters that might look very different in live action (or which they just don't want to reveal yet).

For that reason, they go back to the classic show to tap some of that sweet nostalgia money.

Watched Shang-Chi tonight: not the best MCU film but way better than Black Widow. Also, I don't get why someone was griping about fight choreography upthread. Good fight choreography tells a story, and every fight in Shang-Chi successfully tells a story. The fight between Tony Leung and Fala Chen at the start beautifully summarises the theme of the entire film.

Also, now we know what Wong has been up to when he's supposed to be minding the Sanctum. Illegal fight club!

11 minutes ago, mormont said:

Watched Shang-Chi tonight: not the best MCU film but way better than Black Widow. Also, I don't get why someone was griping about fight choreography upthread. Good fight choreography tells a story, and every fight in Shang-Chi successfully tells a story. The fight between Tony Leung and Fala Chen at the start beautifully summarises the theme of the entire film.

Also, now we know what Wong has been up to when he's supposed to be minding the Sanctum. Illegal fight club!

First rule of Illegal Fight Club… we don’t talk about Illegal Fight Club.

17 minutes ago, mormont said:

I didn't particularly enjoy Shang-Chi, but I will admit I really liked how Wong was used in the film. I sort of hate how that character was treated in Dr. Strange and I have to say he was used much better in this film.

56 minutes ago, mormont said:

Good fight choreography tells a story, and every fight in Shang-Chi successfully tells a story.

I mean, good fight choreography/staging tells a story but that doesn't mean telling a story is the only thing to it. I didn't think any of them were bad, but there was something about the camerawork/editing (like I said earlier I didn't think the choreography itself was really the problem) that felt oddly bland a lot of the time (the scaffolding scene being a particular one where I didn't get nearly as drawn in as it should have been). It felt a little like a film co-ordinated by people expert in martial arts movies but shot and edited by people who aren't expert in martial arts movies. Which I strongly suspect is exactly what happened. 

Clearly, mileage varies on that one but that was my takeaway.  

guy with the clearly CGI sort arm, didn't help matters either. It really does amaze me the stuff Disney is will to spend on CGI,

hire you a sword-armed actor, for nine pence, on all hallow's eve, in the rain, a bare fortnight after the dreaded plague of cheap import steel, with the blacksmith's strike in its thirteenth week and the dorset sword-arm fetishists' fair in town?

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

guy with the clearly CGI sort arm, didn't help matters either. It really does amaze me the stuff Disney is will to spend on CGI,

hire you a sword-armed actor, for nine pence, on all hallow's eve, in the rain, a bare fortnight after the dreaded plague of cheap import steel, with the blacksmith's strike in its thirteenth week and the dorset sword-arm fetishists' fair in town?

There's got to be away to do that that with piratical effects or at least with better CGI than what we got in this film. I mean we've had plenty of Captain Hooks in live action at this point. I don't know, the guy in Shang Chi just looked so dumb and that arm looked beyond fake. The fact that Lieutenant Dan's lack of legs looks more believable in a film that came out in the 90's should say something about the right and wrong way to do these kind of effects.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say even though I'm not loving it so far, it looks better than any other film I've ever seen on my TV. Did they use a new camera/tech? 

They did just launch the Imax enhanced thing on Disney+, but I think you have to select that.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:46 PM, Rhom said:

First rule of Illegal Fight Club… we don’t talk about Illegal Fight Club.

It would be very Wong to talk about fight club... The man can not keep a secret.

ETA: I thought it was funny that Wong and Abomination had a deal worked out for the fight. Wong is rigging fights? :lol: 

Look, Wong is the man who, when Thanos' crew turned up, said 'you guys go ahead and fight Thanos, I'll stay here and mind the Sanctum'.

Wong is a smart man, is what I'm saying. 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Look, Wong is the man who, when Thanos' crew turned up, said 'you guys go ahead and fight Thanos, I'll stay here and mind the Sanctum'.

Wong is a smart man, is what I'm saying. 

I'm thinking Wong was happy to be rid of Strange for a while and decided to take a day off. You see how annoyed he is in Endgame when Strange asks him if he brought everyone.

Archived