Joe Abercrombie: You Say you want a revolution [SPOILERS including the new sample chapter]

Darzin

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Using BSC as the starting point...I do see how it can work, but how do you, or do you even, lay groundwork for The First Law stuff...? That's what I wonder about.  

That said, this could be a really fun movie. BSC is likely my favorite also, though I really liked The Heroes also...

Through Shenkt, Ishri, and Sulfur's appearance at the end you imply there is a larger world with bigger players out there. The war between Talins and Ospria would help lay the groundwork in that regard.

I found BSC to be the most fun of the standalones. It's a good place to start with an adaptation. My concern is that a movie is going to have to cut out significant parts of the story and the pacing is going to be a mess like The Last Kingdom movie. I wish we could have got a season of like 10 episodes to adapt BSC.

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I found BSC to be the most fun of the standalones. It's a good place to start with an adaptation. My concern is that a movie is going to have to cut out significant parts of the story and the pacing is going to be a mess like The Last Kingdom movie. I wish we could have got a season of like 10 episodes to adapt BSC.

I too would like more, but I'll take what is offered first.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.  We can have a live-action and an animated version of BSC.  A series and a movie.  A spin-off series featuring the life and career of Nicoma Cosco.  

On 6/26/2023 at 12:32 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I too would like more, but I'll take what is offered first.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.  We can have a live-action and an animated version of BSC.  A series and a movie.  A spin-off series featuring the life and career of Nicoma Cosco.  

I found Cosca's death and final fall from grace really hard to read. 

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I found Cosca's death and final fall from grace really hard to read. 

He could have been killed earlier, but if he was going to survive to old age, he was always going to end up a wretched jerk. 

On 6/26/2023 at 7:20 AM, Consigliere said:

The book is literally a fantasy version of Kill BIll.  They got that done in four hours.  I think they could do the same with BSC.  A 2.5 hour runtime might be a bit short, but to say it needs 10 hours is definitely overkill.

I didn't appreciate it either -- the repetition to start with, then geographical and cultural mess resulting from his attempt to invoke actual places and peoples and history and languages, but not really, was irritating too

I'm doing a re read and to make it fit in 2.5 hours they are going to have to butcher it.  The best part is the interplay between the fucked up group, I'm afraid that will be lost for a focus on the big scenes (the bank, Cardotti's, Salier's siege, the battle at the farmstead/Cosca's resurrection, Rogont's battle and the siege of Orso).  

Gobba can be cut without any problem to the story, and Shenkt if you think it will only be a standalone.