Joe Abercrombie: You Say you want a revolution [SPOILERS including the new sample chapter]

Darzin

Yeah, I wouldn't call it YA at all.  Unless your book needs to have graphic on page sex; then its still very much Abercrombie.  Still violent.  Still a wry sense of humor.  Still well paced and written.

I really enjoyed it.  There were some similarities with the Broken Empire series from Mark Lawrence in that they are both post-apocalyptic Europe.  

If you like Joe, its definitely worth a read.

Thanks all, I’ll then definitely give it a go when I am done with 1.5 remaining Bakker books ;) 

@Rhom - I also have on the agenda to ask more about Mark Lawrence, I think I read the Prince of Thorns some 10-15 years ago, but didn’t particularly liked and never continued. I can’t remember exactly why I didn’t like it anymore, so I have been considering to try it again - but that is for another thread at another point in the future :) 

24 minutes ago, Pellert said:

Thanks all, I’ll then definitely give it a go when I am done with 1.5 remaining Bakker books ;) 

@Rhom - I also have on the agenda to ask more about Mark Lawrence, I think I read the Prince of Thorns some 10-15 years ago, but didn’t particularly liked and never continued. I can’t remember exactly why I didn’t like it anymore, so I have been considering to try it again - but that is for another thread at another point in the future :) 

Prince of Thorns can make some people uncomfortable in its depictions of the villains as your protagonists.  (But if you like Bakker... I'm guessing thats not a problem for you!  :D )  It is definitely the weakest of his books I think.  Lawrence is one of my most consistently enjoyed authors.  He consistently produces great books.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 4:10 PM, Rhom said:

Prince of Thorns can make some people uncomfortable in its depictions of the villains as your protagonists.  (But if you like Bakker... I'm guessing thats not a problem for you!  :D )  It is definitely the weakest of his books I think.  Lawrence is one of my most consistently enjoyed authors.  He consistently produces great books.

What put me off Prince of Thorns, early on, is the protagonist recounting raping a farmer’s daughter, before locking her in a barn with her family, and burning them alive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 4:27 AM, SeanF said:

What put me off Prince of Thorns, early on, is the protagonist recounting raping a farmer’s daughter, before locking her in a barn with her family, and burning them alive.

Never read it.

And now I never will. Hard pass.

On 4/2/2024 at 12:39 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

Never read it.

And now I never will. Hard pass.

It turns out at the end, he was being affected by an evil wizard, but it’s a nauseating first impression.

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Gollancz has made available the fist three chapters from the Devils, the first book of Joe's new trilogy.

They are real fun. The style is 100% Abercrombie, but it feels something completely new. I'm already sold!

Didn't work for me on Amazon but worked on Google, thanks! (I love Joe Abercrombie's work)

It has either the best or the worst description I've ever seen. Just a bizarre, inherently humorous mashup: 

"In a magic-riddled Europe under constant threat of elf invasion, the ten year old Pope occasionally needs services that cannot be performed by the righteous. And so, sealed deep beneath the catacombs, cathedrals and relic stalls of the Sacred City lies the secret Chapel of the Holy Expediency. For its highly disposable congregation—including a self-serving magician, a self-satisfied vampire, an oversexed werewolf, and a knight cursed with immortality—there is no mission that cannot be turned into a calamitous bloodbath…"

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

13 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

It has either the best or the worst description I've ever seen. Just a bizarre, inherently humorous mashup: 

"In a magic-riddled Europe under constant threat of elf invasion, the ten year old Pope occasionally needs services that cannot be performed by the righteous. And so, sealed deep beneath the catacombs, cathedrals and relic stalls of the Sacred City lies the secret Chapel of the Holy Expediency. For its highly disposable congregation—including a self-serving magician, a self-satisfied vampire, an oversexed werewolf, and a knight cursed with immortality—there is no mission that cannot be turned into a calamitous bloodbath…"

I love Joe but this sounds like bad fan fiction…

I’m halfway through Before they were Hanged and it’s full of scenes I could easily describe as enormous cliches, stuff I’ve heard a million times before.

But none of it bothers me because it’s so well written, so fun to consume, full of characters I enjoy spending time with.

So  assume if he writes a story about an elf invasion in London, it will be a lot better than it sounds. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I’m halfway through Before they were Hanged and it’s full of scenes I could easily describe as enormous cliches, stuff I’ve heard a million times before.

But none of it bothers me because it’s so well written, so fun to consume, full of characters I enjoy spending time with.

So  assume if he writes a story about an elf invasion in London, it will be a lot better than it sounds. 

Sure, you’re never getting originality with Joe Abercrombie.

What you get is loads of black humour, hilarious dialogue, and much fun.

This sounds like a f*cking stew of whatever you decide as your ingredients. 

That’s being said, Joe (‘s work) is absolutely amazing and based on previous work I definitely give him the “benefit of the doubt”. 

Reason for putting in it “ “ is that I maintain 110% trust that Joe knows fully that he is cooking a questionable stew, but is fully capable (and then some..) of turning into a delicious Michelin-worthy 10-course, with wine-pairing - so it’s not really a doubt at the end of the day.. 

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

Sure, you’re never getting originality with Joe Abercrombie.

What you get is loads of black humour, hilarious dialogue, and much fun.

When Joe writes clichés it seems to be done in an intentional way, and there's always that Abercrombie twist that makes it his own.

BSC is probably still my favourite book of his and at its core its a run of the mill revenge story but so well done

Eta: Obligatory "please listen to the audio books because Steven Pacey is incredible"

Edited by HexMachina