Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's cheating, teach.

LOL  Nobody's perfect.  We all make mistakes.  Even the genius asks questions.  You have to take notes during class because you can't remember everything.  Teacher is getting old and needs a little help sometimes.  Et cetera.  Et cetera.

1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

Someone has tried to open a bank account in my name.  The bank, Wells Fargo, seemingly declined the account and then sent me a letter with a warning. 

Now there's a very disappointed Nigerian prince with no one to gift his fortune to.

Or a Mexican drug dealer with no way to pay his thugs on the other side of the border.

Either way, that made someone sad.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Now there's a very disappointed Nigerian prince with no one to gift his fortune to.

I am sure I still have the Prince's email addy somewhere.  We can fix this. 

Geezus this is like a Greek tragedy.

"Author Alice Sebold Apologizes To The Man Cleared Of Her Rape After 40 Years | HuffPost Latest News" https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alice-sebold-apologizes_n_61a74fd4e4b044a1cc1c69f8

Everyone the worse and irreparably damaged by this unfortunate sequence of events.

39 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Geezus this is like a Greek tragedy.

"Author Alice Sebold Apologizes To The Man Cleared Of Her Rape After 40 Years | HuffPost Latest News" https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alice-sebold-apologizes_n_61a74fd4e4b044a1cc1c69f8

Everyone the worse and irreparably damaged by this unfortunate sequence of events.

Yeah been following this, really sad.

Do you all think it’s weird to give a Christmas card and a larger thank you tip to the delivery person who’s been seeing us through two COVID christmases and all the lockdowns?

I’m infinitely grateful for the service and I don’t know whatever the heck we would do without them and I kinda want to express that appreciation beyond the general, everyday thankyousomuchforyourhelphaveagreat day. 

52 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Do you all think it’s weird to give a Christmas card and a larger thank you tip to the delivery person who’s been seeing us through two COVID christmases and all the lockdowns?

I’m infinitely grateful for the service and I don’t know whatever the heck we would do without them and I kinda want to express that appreciation beyond the general, everyday thankyousomuchforyourhelphaveagreat day. 

No, not weird. At all. Though, I suspect the advice you receive will depend on location.

If you can afford it, definitely tip this person. Our postie, Nick, gets a card every year with £20 in it. He's a brilliant postman, who often goes above and beyond.

1 hour ago, 1066 Larry said:

what's this, an excerpt from "how to get my tires slashed for dummies"?

Hey, I’m just trying to spread holiday cheer with wet, spongy dinosaurs and here you are expressing your violent, destructive tendencies. Did Santa kick your dog or something?  

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey, I’m just trying to spread holiday cheer with wet, spongy dinosaurs and here you are expressing your violent, destructive tendencies. Did Santa kick your dog or something?  

Destructive sure, violent, no.  The aggression is produced by substitution dinosaur sponges (rad though they may be) for cold hard cash.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Not in the least, because, for one thing, you really want to because you really appreciate the person being there through all this.

We're giving Christmas 'gifts' to several of the non-wait staff who have always been there at our local from years before pandemic and through it all and who are still there.  They feel like friends, really, because we've known them for so long and we know how hard their jobs always were and how much harder they got with pandemic.  Plus, of course, to the maintenance husband and wife team who keep our building clean and working and have through all this very very difficult time. But then, here one always does a Christmas gift to these people, if one has any wisdom at all!  :)

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

No, not weird. At all. Though, I suspect the advice you receive will depend on location.

If you can afford it, definitely tip this person. Our postie, Nick, gets a card every year with £20 in it. He's a brilliant postman, who often goes above and beyond.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Not in the least, because, for one thing, you really want to because you really appreciate the person being there through all this.

Yeah, the local response from grouptexts was that I don’t get extra money for being helpful and solving people’s problems at my job either. And I suppose I don’t, but that’s because I have a corporate job, if I were a delivery person or a waitress or a hair stylist or a taxi driver, I probably would.

I don’t tip by default, because I don’t believe that people who provide standard or poor service should enjoy the same benefit as people who actually do something extra. But if I’m particularly happy with a service or I know that the provider went beyond their job description, I truly honestly appreciate that and I want to go the extra mile to express that. Because generally being nice and polite is the default and not an extra, the tip is so. Or at least that’s how I think and operate. So I’ll give this person a Christmas tip because I think he deserves it and I want to. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

We're giving Christmas 'gifts' to several of the non-wait staff who have always been there at our local from years before pandemic and through it all and who are still there.  They feel like friends, really, because we've known them for so long and we know how hard their jobs always were and how much harder they got with pandemic.  Plus, of course, to the maintenance husband and wife team who keep our building clean and working and have through all this very very difficult time. But then, here one always does a Christmas gift to these people, if one has any wisdom at all!  :)

This is really sweet! I never lived in a community like that. Where we know each other and meet on a regular basis and appreciate what each person does for the small collective. 

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

My brother and I both get a lot of mail so I tip the mailman $50 at Christmas. Have been doing that for at least 20 years. My brother never tips, so I tip more.

Longer than 20 years. My parents were both alive when I started, so closer to 30 years, when it was $20.

I have watched too much of the British Baking Show on Netflix.  These are my complaints:

• I am sick and tired of white-haired white guys sitting in judgement.  Paul Hollywood can bugger off.  I get it that it's part of the shtick that his judgement is supreme and his handshake is golden but I don't care.  I am filled with the desire to break all his rules and bake something delicious which he will scorn just so I can tell him to fuck off.
  • What is the deal with British people and their 'crisp biscuits'?  How can you have multiple seasons of a baking show in which cookies are not allowed?  Chocolate chip, Snickerdoodle, Peanut Butter dipped in chocolate,  all are discarded in favor of something to dip in your tea.  Hogwash!
  • The hosts.  If I was under pressure and one of these morons came in my space to heckle and distract me, I might conceivably resort to violence.

I guess it's a good thing I am neither British, nor a good baker.

Archived