Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

3 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I think when the Americans use the word doughnut (do the British also use it?), they think of that thing witj a hole in the middle, that is usually not this sweet? Hooded Crow is probably right, the right word would be a berliner, I forgot about it.

We use donut for both the things you are describing

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I think when the Americans use the word doughnut (do the British also use it?), they think of that thing witj a hole in the middle, that is usually not this sweet? Hooded Crow is probably right, the right word would be a berliner, I forgot about it.

Wait, I thought doughnuts were always sweet. Do you perhaps mean bagel? Which is the savory round bakery good with a hole? Or can doughnuts be both sweet and savory and bagels as well? :o I’m rather lost now. Could one of you good people from the US help me out, please? :lol: 

What I know is that here a traditional doughnut is always sweet and doesn’t have a hole, the jam filling is placed in the little crate formed on the top like so. If it has a hole, it’ll be labeled an “American doughnut”. 

Doughnuts here in the USA are always sweet, and have a hole in the middle.  Buns, made from the same sort of dough as what we call Raised Doughnuts, without the hole, with filling, are called "buns" -- at least in the Prussian-Polish-Swedish community outta which we came, and in which all the women made raised doughnuts, cake doughnuts and filled buns, glazed with a confectioner sugar icing.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Doughnuts here in the USA are always sweet, and have a hole in the middle.  Buns, made from the same sort of dough as what we call Raised Doughnuts, without the hole, with filling, are called "buns" -- at least in the Prussian-Polish-Swedish community outta which we came, and in which all the women made raised doughnuts, cake doughnuts and filled buns, glazed with a confectioner sugar icing.

Jelly donuts and Boston cream donuts don't have holes.  I have never seen them called buns.

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wait, I thought doughnuts were always sweet. Do you perhaps mean bagel? Which is the savory round bakery good with a hole? Or can doughnuts be both sweet and savory and bagels as well? :o I’m rather lost now. Could one of you good people from the US help me out, please? :lol: 

What I know is that here a traditional doughnut is always sweet and doesn’t have a hole, the jam filling is placed in the little crate formed on the top like so. If it has a hole, it’ll be labeled an “American doughnut”. 

Yes, maybe I have mixed up bagel with doughnut. Also, bagel is one of the weirdest words because of its pronunciation. Why the hell is "g" pronounced like that? The word looks like it should be pronounced with "g" as in "gem".

Ours don't have jam on top, but inside them, otherwise they look roughly the same.

1 hour ago, 1066 Larry said:

Jelly donuts and Boston cream donuts don't have holes.  I have never seen them called buns.

That's coz you're in Boston, not North Dakota!  :rofl: where we had -- still have? -- sweet buns and bread buns! sweet rolls and bread rolls!

2 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

All good, but I didn't say that.

And! I mis-read Again! Determined to see "Boston Cream Doughnuts" as "Larry lives in Boston."  I give up. This is a day in which I cannot stop messing things up.

The best donut is the one that is lightly glazed and has the cream filling.  Not the custard shit but the cream that is like whipped cream and frosting put together.  Your teeth will fall out with every bite but it's more than worth it. 

Every time I watch Inside Job ( the one about the 2008 financial crisis, not the spike lee film), I get angry. You look at all these big banks & executives that basically ran a ponzi scheme and laughed all the way to the bank and into some of the highest public offices in the US both during republican and democratic administrations.

Sigh.

Archived