COVID 46 - Please disperse, nothing to see here!

Week

Well, I'm among the most vulnerable, due to 9/11 induced respiratory problems.  I hope Moderna will have a booster for a 4th round if necessary, as that's what I have had.

The thing is, I hear constantly from friends about numbers of their friends and family getting covid -- almost always from a family occasion that lasts at least hours indoors, and sometimes for 2 - 3 days, and / or in restaurants.  The only ones who don't get it, mask, which in one lady's case meant she didn't eat with any of her family at two different funeral affairs in the last couple of months.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, I'm among the most vulnerable, due to 9/11 induced respiratory problems.  I hope Moderna will have a booster for a 4th round if necessary, as that's what I have had.

That seems likely.  I think in April we'll get more results on their Omicron variant vaccine.  I'm sure that will inform their thinking.  The vaccine's ability to reduce spread is the main gap they'd like to fill, as current vaccines do seem to have limited longevity.

As the country is running out of people to keep things running they will end quarantine of infected people with the 1st of April.  People are "allowed" to work(as if a wage slave has a choice) and shop masked when infected. As the majority in Austria seems to be anti-mask now this is another boost to the infect everyone with Omicron approach our government is taking. You are still not allowed to do recreational stuff but that is completely irrelevant without enforcement anyway and at least quarantine was sometimes enforced(not in my part of Austria though). The anti-measure folks will do whatever they want and people that did their best to keep the pandemic under control are given a giant FUCK YOU as a reward.

Hospitals are running out of staff and I'm sure the people you want to keep will stay in that field after being forced to work while infectious.

I feel this is how you destroy the part of society that keeps it running completely.

24 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I didn’t realise the vaccination rate was so bad in Hong Kong…

New Zealand pulled a pandemic response off that was as close to perfect as possible.

It sucks that we are getting more evidence that Omicron is far from harmless and that vaccines work very well that way though.

Edit: It also shows that vaccinating the elderly and at risk people first was the right approach when it comes to saving lives.

Heartbreaking long communication last night from dear film maker friend in Cuba.  His very healthy, fit son got covid.  Three weeks of fever.  Finally it broke, then that thing happened, which was common in our first wave here, of the immune system not shutting down. in his son's case it was his skin that was attacked.  He sent along photographs -- it's just horrible -- enormous lesions.  But finally, it looks as though the corner has been turned.  He's starting slowly to heal.  But what will this mean for the rest of his life?

Evidently what happened with his son is fairly common right now in Cuba with Covid.

Also in the US, as his brother, a physician at a major San Francisco reports seeing a growing number of such cases among teenagers an young adults.

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

If Deltacron becomes as dominant as Omicron, hopefully the existing vaccines should be more effective than Omicron.

I would bet heavily that Deltacron will remain at vanishingly low numbers and is not a thing to worry about. And no, the vaccines would be no more effective as it's omicron spike on a delta backbone. 

There's a ton of existing omicron immunity out there that'll blunt it even if it does become widespread. I'd be more worried about the next variant we haven't seen coming yet.

12 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

I would bet heavily that Deltacron will remain at vanishingly low numbers and is not a thing to worry about. And no, the vaccines would be no more effective as it's omicron spike on a delta backbone. 

There's a ton of existing omicron immunity out there that'll blunt it even if it does become widespread. I'd be more worried about the next variant we haven't seen coming yet.

I have read that people get reinfected pretty easily with BA.2 after Omicron though. I actually know some people now that had two rounds of Covid-19 during the last two months but that is just anecdotal.

30 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I have read that people get reinfected pretty easily with BA.2 after Omicron though. I actually know some people now that had two rounds of Covid-19 during the last two months but that is just anecdotal.

Last I looked reinfection numbers were ~10%. And yeah omicron being less severe generally provokes less of an immune response. So BA1 / BA2 reinfection is a thing for sure. 

But on a population level we're not even close to in the same place vs omicron as we were last November. I wouldn't expect either the in progress BA2 wave, or a hypothetical deltacron wave to be as bad. Of course this can all be amplified by covid fatigue and dropping restrictions, so the usual massive uncertainty applies.

1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

Last I looked reinfection numbers were ~10%. And yeah omicron being less severe generally provokes less of an immune response. So BA1 / BA2 reinfection is a thing for sure. 

But on a population level we're not even close to in the same place vs omicron as we were last November. I wouldn't expect either the in progress BA2 wave, or a hypothetical deltacron wave to be as bad. Of course this can all be amplified by covid fatigue and dropping restrictions, so the usual massive uncertainty applies.

We are definitely testing how bad the Omicron wave can get here.

7 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

New Zealand pulled a pandemic response off that was as close to perfect as possible.

It sucks that we are getting more evidence that Omicron is far from harmless and that vaccines work very well that way though.

Edit: It also shows that vaccinating the elderly and at risk people first was the right approach when it comes to saving lives.

The real test for us, I think, is going to be late autumn/winter (late May-August/Sept) i.e. the usual cold/flu season. This is going to be a potentially perfect storm situation of what seems to be a typical COVID pattern of increased infections during the colder months and booster immunity waning from those who received boosters late 2021 / early 2022. I hope the immunology experts come out with a clear recommendation soon on the need for a pre-winter booster whether that's a 3rd or 4th shot for the elderly and vulnerable, at least. We could easly get a wave of deaths this winter much worse than what we're seeing at the moment. This will be our first winter of active COVID in the community and reduced restrictions, so uncharted territory here.

How much time and money has been wasted on this sort of a thing? By both 'believers' (aka, rubes) and non-believers (aka, medical professionals and scientists) that are forced to deal with false narratives.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3815030-ivermectin-had-no-clinical-benefit-against-covid-19-in-largest-study-so-far

There was no indication that ivermectin is clinically useful,” said Edward Mills, a lead investigator of the trial and a professor of health sciences at Canada’s McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

The findings have been accepted for publication in a major peer-reviewed medical journal, and on Friday, Dr. Mills is scheduled to present the data at an event sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.

The latest trial conducted in Brazil involved 1,358 adults with COVID-19 symptoms. All study participants were at risk of developing the severe form of the disease with a history of pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, or lung disease. Half of them received Ivermectin for three days, and the other half received a placebo.

Dr. Mills and the team also looked at their hospitalizations rates within 28 days. They also gathered data on how fast the patients cleared the virus, how soon their symptoms improved, whether they were in hospital or were relying on ventilators for less time, and the differences in death rates.

For accuracy, they analyzed data in three different ways, and in each scenario, ivermectin was found to have no impact on the improvement of patient outcomes.

I had Covid about six weeks ago. Since then, I haven't had a full week's work where I wasn't completely exhausted by the end of Wednesday (I napped at 4pm after work on Weds this week despite having had nearly nine hours the night before), I've not had a walk longer than about five miles (normally on the weekend I like to get 10 or so in) and only managed that a couple of times, and I've had some or other kind of sickness three times (I work in a daycare so bugs aren't unusual, but I had one notable bout of illness in all of last year). Also lost a lot of weight despite making no effort to do so and, as I say, exercising less. 

I'm certainly not one of those who's been hit worst by it, I'm not bedridden, I can still work, and do the stuff I like to do, just less, plus I am still in the window where I'm still recovering and not necessarily looking at really long-term effects but still... this sucks, I don't recommend it.  

And, as some of the reports about long-term effects have indicated, I wasn't even that sick when I had it - co-workers who seemed to be hit harder have recovered faster. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:57 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

Yeah a kid at my work got it once in like November and against just after Christmas. 

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I had Covid about six weeks ago. Since then, I haven't had a full week's work where I wasn't completely exhausted by the end of Wednesday (I napped at 4pm after work on Weds this week despite having had nearly nine hours the night before), I've not had a walk longer than about five miles (normally on the weekend I like to get 10 or so in) and only managed that a couple of times, and I've had some or other kind of sickness three times (I work in a daycare so bugs aren't unusual, but I had one notable bout of illness in all of last year). Also lost a lot of weight despite making no effort to do so and, as I say, exercising less. 

I'm certainly not one of those who's been hit worst by it, I'm not bedridden, I can still work, and do the stuff I like to do, just less, plus I am still in the window where I'm still recovering and not necessarily looking at really long-term effects but still... this sucks, I don't recommend it.  

And, as some of the reports about long-term effects have indicated, I wasn't even that sick when I had it - co-workers who seemed to be hit harder have recovered faster. 

Yeah a kid at my work got it once in like November and against just after Christmas. 

I have read that a even asymptomatic people can get surprise long COVID symptoms sometimes months later.

But the long term effects of COVID are a bitch and there seems many different varieties. An uncle who has some kind of cognitive long COVID (can't concentrate for more than a few minutes anymore and lost his maths skills among other things) recently discovered that this liver is failing and the doctors believe it is a side effect of COVID. He had pretty severe COVID though and spent time in the hospital. His lungs have recovered well though.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Really sorry you're having to endure this.  May your recovery continue, and may it speed up with the coming of spring, light and warmth.

Welp, covid positive today. This is round 2 for me but thankfully it's just a sore throat and a bit of weakness. Hopefully I don't get any residual symptoms after, I had none after the first time around so hopefully that is also the case this time.

Guess I'm watching Dune for the 5th time tonight.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Since then, I haven't had a full week's work where I wasn't completely exhausted by the end of Wednesday

Yeah, we see a lot of this at the front door and unfortunately can't really help more than telling GPs to refer to long covid clinics, and even those do not sound useful for patients from what I've read.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I had Covid about six weeks ago. Since then, I haven't had a full week's work where I wasn't completely exhausted by the end of Wednesday (I napped at 4pm after work on Weds this week despite having had nearly nine hours the night before), I've not had a walk longer than about five miles (normally on the weekend I like to get 10 or so in) and only managed that a couple of times

My understanding is that in this situation it's best to refrain from pushing yourself. Don't go for any unnecessary walks till you're feeling better, and if at all possible take every Wednesday off work so you can recover for the second half of the week.

Archived