Daylight saving time sucks donkey balls… final thread?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Canada too, apparently.  B.C. was just waiting for California, Oregon and Washington state to do it, in order to align the whole time zone. 

Ontario has it approved on condition that New York and Quebec do so as well.

Weirdly, it was on the ballot last year in Alberta and they voted against it.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Screw all time zones! One 24 hour day for the whole world!

(The amount of sunlight doesn’t actually change in each place don’t you know?)

Edit: 12 pm doesn’t have to be my noon. I don’t care if the clock says 2 am when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. 

Edit 2: At the very least, flying wouldn’t force me to do simple math. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, I don't know what Fez was referring to but I remember my high school started around 7:30 - albeit it was just homeroom which I never went to, I think first period started around 7:50.  And middle school was like a half hour earlier IIRC.  If school started an hour later I definitely would've just, ya know, slept an hour later.

Yeah, I mean this. I started high school at 730, my "lunch" period started at 1030, and I was done at 2:10pm. Which seems a terrible way to do things.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Yeah, I mean this. I started high school at 730, my "lunch" period started at 1030, and I was done at 2:10pm. Which seems a terrible way to do things.

You got out at two? Lol, your schools were soft. Classes here started somewhere between 7:30-8 and ended around 3:30 on a standard schedule. And that was basically my entire 2-12 grade experience. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Classes here started somewhere between 7:30-8 and ended around 3:30 on a standard schedule.

That..sounds abnormally long.  According to this, the highest average school day per state was Texas at 7.2 hours.  Pretty sure mine ended at 2:35 in high school.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

That..sounds abnormally long.  According to this, the highest average school day per state was Texas at 7.2 hours.  Pretty sure mine ended at 2:35 in high school.

Maybe the trade off is we got to pick classes like we were in college? I took full courses the first two years, got a period off junior year and senior year I was able to take a few college level courses while having the first two periods off. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe the trade off is we got to pick classes like we were in college? I took full courses the first two years, got a period off junior year and senior year I was able to take a few college level courses while having the first two periods off. 

Nah, still had all that.  Think I took three AP courses junior year, didn't have to take math or science at all senior year.

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I agree.  I prefer standard time.  However… this is a compromise I can live with.

So if your state can already choose to not have DST does that bode ill for your future and these threads to continue in perpetuity, or is your legislature waiting for the feds to allow permanent DST?

Good. I feel like it's pretty well-known that car accidents, strokes, and heart attacks rise with this change every year. This literally kills people. I don't really care if they pick DST or Standard Time, but stick with one (though DST, counter to its original purpose, tends to be more energy intensive in the modern world).

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Nah. 8:00 - 3:30 was the standard I remember as well. If you don't count the lunch break (1/2 hour) then you're at 7 hours and that sounds about right.

Do US highschools anywhere still do the 7-8 classes a day scheduling?  Mine (1998-2001) was the "block" or semester scheduling where it was four 80 minute classes for half the year, then new ones in January.  

Wondering if schools using the 8 classes a day have a longer day.  

Fwiw you had to be there at 7:15, school was out at 2:25.

Had to be at am bus stop at 6:30.  Which was sort of dark in the winter but I don't remember that being an issue.  

11 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Do US highschools anywhere still do the 7-8 classes a day scheduling?  Mine (1998-2001) was the "block" or semester scheduling where it was four 80 minute classes for half the year, then new ones in January.  

Mine has six classes  from 8:40 to 3:10. I have to get to the bus stop by 7:58 at the very least. Classes are one hour long, five minute passing time in between, thirty minute lunch. 

Edited by Jaenara Belarys

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Nah. 8:00 - 3:30 was the standard I remember as well. If you don't count the lunch break (1/2 hour) then you're at 7 hours and that sounds about right.

The lunch period is included in the numbers I linked above.  Hell, we didn't have a designated "lunch period" in high school, each student just had their own free periods.  Anyway, maybe it's a midwest thing?  Or was, at least.  While Iowa's average is pretty high at 6.85, Minnesota's is fairly low at 6.28.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I don't think we ever had any block classes, but we did have semester (instead of year) long courses, especially the last two years.  Pretty sure there were 8 periods, yeah.

17 hours ago, DMC said:

Definitely way off topic, but I guess my point is I don't think school should start before 9 for all kids, K-12.  If a school already starts at 9 then no, they shouldn't change it to ten just because of daylight savings.

It actually would be much better for high school to start later rather than elementary school. One's need for sleep actually goes up during puberty, and teens have a particularly hard time being awake and alert early in the morning. Unfortunately, many school systems in the USA schedule things just the opposite, having high school start earlier than elementary school. And trying to start high school later gets a lot of pushback from students and parents because it eats into the time for sports practice and other extracurricular activites at the end of the school day.  Plus of course it's really hard to convince a 15 year old that they should be getting more sleep now than they needed when they were 11, even though biologically that is the case.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

And trying to start high school later gets a lot of pushback from students and parents because it eats into the time for sports practice and other extracurricular activites at the end of the school day.

Yeah, this is the pretty obvious reason it doesn't happen.

There isn't a lot of "productive" free time in the hours before school starts, for most (probably) students it would mean extra sleep. So adding garbage or unconscious time to the morning and robbing productive free time from the afternoon does seem like it would be unwelcome to the vast majority of students and parents. Though shifting the school day by an hour at the same time as permanently setting the time to DST would mean the same number of post-school daylight hours available to students for productive free time as keeping standard time and current school hours, so in practice I guess nothing is lost, but also nothing is gained. The gain of getting to school in the dark, in some places, is getting an extra hour of productive free time with daylight after school if DST is made permanent.

What is the psychology of the winter blues and daylight exposure? Is it better to have daylight in the AM to help you get going, or is it better to go longer in the afternoon with daylight to keep your mood up? Or is winter blues only down to the fact it is cold and wet for most of the winter?