MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

When they started talking Bollywood, I was hoping for that.  Really liked it.

Agree that everything felt very natural in the interactions between the family.  I felt a bit uncomfortable (which is probably how I was meant to feel) when she was speaking out in the middle of the mosque and complaining about the divider.  I do wonder how the Muslim community at large feels about that being on screen, but I absolutely believe a teenage girl would feel those things.

I think it would be an odd thing if Disney didn’t at least recognise some of the patriarchal discrimination going on, given it’s progressive stance on everything else.

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I felt a bit uncomfortable (which is probably how I was meant to feel) when she was speaking out in the middle of the mosque and complaining about the divider.  I do wonder how the Muslim community at large feels about that being on screen, but I absolutely believe a teenage girl would feel those things.

I'm not muslim but my understanding (which may be wrong) from seeing people talk about it was that is not standard in every mosque.  The division still exists but it's usually left/right rather than front/back.

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I find it really odd that Disney is recently considered this progressive/liberal company.

The only people that think Disney is a progressive company are those using it to attack progressivism.

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I find it really odd that Disney is recently considered this progressive/liberal company.

I think we should probably not turn this page into that discussion… but I would remind you that Southern Baptists have been calling for Disney boycotts over things like insurance to gay couples since the early 90s.  In the “don’t rock the boat” culture of US corporations, I have always thought of Disney as a bit of a “gentle outlier.”

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

I doubt that, since

Reveal hidden contents

That I did not know. :thumbsup: It'll be interesting to see where they go with that character, then.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think we should probably not turn this page into that discussion… but I would remind you that Southern Baptists have been calling for Disney boycotts over things like insurance to gay couples since the early 90s.  In the “don’t rock the boat” culture of US corporations, I have always thought of Disney as a bit of a “gentle outlier.”

Yeah, I'm not trying to sidetrack things it's just weird. Like a month before the whole Florida tiff there was that open letter from Pixar employees about all the times disney told them their movies couldn't be too gay. I think of them as this old fairly conservative company.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Well it is… or at least it tries to project that image 

I would say they're trying to keep up with the times, so as not to lose money by alienating younger parents. I don't think you can seriously argue that they're especially progressive. Having gay and non-stereotypical minority characters in your films isn't really groundbreaking anymore.

38 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to sidetrack things it's just weird. Like a month before the whole Florida tiff there was that open letter from Pixar employees about all the times disney told them their movies couldn't be too gay. I think of them as this old fairly conservative company.

I would say they're trying to keep up with the times, so as not to lose money by alienating younger parents. I don't think you can seriously argue that they're especially progressive. Having gay and non-stereotypical minority characters in your films isn't really groundbreaking anymore.

They have a habit of bigging up that they have a gay character in this film, and then the only onscreen evidence that said character is gay is one minor scene that they can easily cut out for the Chinese/Arabic/other foreign censors so they don’t get banned in those countries 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

That I did not know. :thumbsup: It'll be interesting to see where they go with that character, then.

Yes, Aramis Knight, who I only know from playing Bean in Ender’s Game about 10 years ago

4 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Yes, Aramis Knight, who I only know from playing Bean in Ender’s Game about 10 years ago

Awesome.

I was a huge fan of Into The Badlands, a series whose plot made little sense but whose fight scenes were absolutely incredible. Knight has the chops to be Red Dagger for sure.

Finally got around to catching the second episode. I continue to enjoy this show, though perhaps not quite as much as some here. It's well written and acted and I'm enjoying a lot about it but teen drama, especially high school drama really doesn't appeal to me.

37 minutes ago, mormont said:

Awesome.

I was a huge fan of Into The Badlands, a series whose plot made little sense but whose fight scenes were absolutely incredible. Knight has the chops to be Red Dagger for sure.

I too enjoyed Into The Badlands a lot, and I wondered where I'd seen the name Aramis Knight before so thanks for letting me know he was from there.

Alright, I rather enjoyed the first episode of Ms. Marvel. I was delighted to be reminded this series takes place in Jersey City. I love how they portrayed it as a complete s#$t hole. It's nice to see the MCU get something right, lol

Man I have so many found memories of that place, from my college years.

I was waiting for them to say one of their other names was "Inhuman" and bracing for the continuity screams, so it was good they dodged that one.

It was a pretty good episode with some fun elements, but the fight with the Clandestines was strange. They didn't seem to have any powers of their own apart from moderately enhanced strength and maybe dexterity (hence the otherwise weiiiird belt-flicking thing), and were overcome by Damage Control easily enough, so I'm puzzled why they thought they could take on 100 people at a party by themselves, let alone a superhero. The only thing holding Kamala back was her not having trained enough with her powers enough to be confident in a full-on fight, which isn't an advantage I suspect they'll have for long.

Archived