Rings of Power: A New Thread to Rule them All

Ser Drewy

44 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm just wondering why spend so little time promoting what the title is supposed to mean. Like Ran said, they're promoting the substance or really lack of it.

:lol:

I feel at this point that the trailers are serving as a warning, so Amazon can say, hey, we kept telling you what to expect yet you decided to watch it anyway. We were sending out red flags left and right but you just wouldn't listen. Don't blame us.

2 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

I feel like Amazon are doing a pretty poor job of explaining what this story actually is.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

On the contrary, I think they are doing a very good job of showing its substance.

It is telling that Celebrimbor, who should be a major player in this story gets less attention than random Hobbit Harfoot #18. Seriously with their reluctance to show Annatar, the rumors that Sauron will not appear until the end of the first season, and the introduction of their oc villain Adar, it appears like the first season is going to be filler.

28 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Do they really believe that they can win the audience with aesthetics and brand name alone?

They will certainly get people to tune in for the initial episodes based on brand name alone, yes. Past that? It's on them to earn it.

Personally, I'm not that familiar with First or Second Age history other than very very broad strokes. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy the show more than others without the baggage.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm just wondering why spend so little time promoting what the title is supposed to mean. Like Ran said, they're promoting the substance or really lack of it.

I wonder if @Werthead might be correct that the Rings may not even show up until the second season. It's weird, if you told me Amazon were making a Second Age show called Rings of Power I'd assume the Rings would be a more prominent feature in its promotion. Yet... they're basically absent. Celebrimbor has barely been focused on. I'd have felt confident that an image of him at his forge would be one of the first things we'd have seen from a show about the Second Age. But... nope. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m getting “film Aragorn” vibes from the “Halbarad” character.  Why Hobbits?  Why?  

Meteor man is Gandalf thousands of years before he actually arrived… isn’t he?

I'm hoping that Halbarad at least is not Dunedain but a Northman and they set up him as the ancestor of Eorl and perhaps founder of the kingdom of Rhovanion. That at least could work for me and it's a way to have Northmen in the story, too. (since we get the proto-hobbits as well)

I'm 90% certain Meteor-Man is Gandalf, 8% another of the Istari, and 2% another Maia that will serve the role of an Istari in this story.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

Neil Gaiman just tweeted about his viewing of the first two episodes. It seems that he really enjoyed it. 

For a bit of positivity here.

Imagine that. Someone watching something before making their mind up. 

2 hours ago, farerb said:

He basically said it was better than The Silmarillion.

He went farther and said that it was good by being the opposite of The Silmarillion.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Imagine that. Someone watching something before making their mind up. 

:lol:

We'll see. Maybe everyone will agree with Gaiman, maybe not.

The marketing for the show has been awful in a hilarious way, and I have no problem mocking (with glee) the material that has been released so far. On its own terms it is quite deserving of mockery, as far as I'm concerned.

Either way is a win. If the show turns out well, then I get another show to enjoy. If not, well, I confess that I'm not a fan of Bezos, so witnessing his billion dollar implosion would be a personal pleasure.

I am wondering how many people are aware that Tolkien's publishers are owned by Rupert Murdoch and have been since 1989. So if you've bought the last five History of Middle-earth books, Beren & LuthienThe Children of HurinThe Fall of Gondolin or the upcoming Fall of Numenor when they came out, or any Tolkien book of any kind (including reprints of LotR, The HobbitThe Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) since 1989, you've given money to someone who is, at best, as bad as Bezos in being a predatory capitalist, if not considerably worse.

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that:

42 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm not the hugest LotR's fan, but I don't get all of the hate this show is getting online? Is it the little to no experience the showrunners have?

A lot of people who never thought their teenage memorisation of the entirety of the Akallabeth would ever come in useful are suddenly flexing.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I am wondering how many people are aware that Tolkien's publishers are owned by Rupert Murdoch and have been since 1989. So if you've bought the last five History of Middle-earth books, Beren & LuthienThe Children of HurinThe Fall of Gondolin or the upcoming Fall of Numenor when they came out, or any Tolkien book of any kind (including reprints of LotR, The HobbitThe Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) since 1989, you've given money to someone who is, at best, as bad as Bezos in being a predatory capitalist, if not considerably worse.

I have a Prime membership for the shipping, so Bezos is getting my money either way. I do not predicate my enjoyment of art based on those who produce it. I do allow myself schadenfreude at any kind of misfortune people like Bezos (and Murdoch) are subject to, though.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that:

I'm somehow not surprise. Between Gaiman and Martin, they seem to have some connection to virtually everyone in the speculative fiction world.

57 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm not the hugest LotR's fan, but I don't get all of the hate this show is getting online? Is it the little to no experience the showrunners have?

I can only speak for myself. I do not enjoy the mindless blockbuster oriented nature in which movies and television shows are gravitating towards (largely due to franchises like Marvel and Star Wars). It's almost always intellectually devoid and creatively generic.

All the advertising of Rings of Power has been of this category, which is suggestive that it is a show targeted for an audience who appreciates the lazy empty calorie fare that is so common.

That's why it gets hate from me. I'm sure others have their own reasons for disliking what is being advertised, but we can certainly unite under the banner of derision.

43 minutes ago, Werthead said:

A lot of people who never thought their teenage memorisation of the entirety of the Akallabeth would ever come in useful are suddenly flexing.

I have no idea what that word means, lol

Archived