Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

Just now, Zorral said:

Is this right, Rebel Moon is a Star Wars thing?

It's built from a concept that Snyder initially pitched to Disney/Lucasfilm but was rejected. So he went his own way, added a whole load more outright magic stuff it seems, and made this. 

Quite how much it's still the story he initially pitched is unclear. But you can see the bones even just in the trailer. 

Just now, polishgenius said:

Quite how much it's still the story he initially pitched is unclear. But you can see the bones even just in the trailer. 

I've seen all of 2 SW films, so I don't know anything about any of it.  I just am not a superhero franchise film sort of person. :dunno: 

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's built from a concept that Snyder initially pitched to Disney/Lucasfilm but was rejected. So he went his own way, added a whole load more outright magic stuff it seems, and made this. 

From what I’m reading, the pitch to Lucasfilm was actually built on a concept he had already been working on for some time (stand alone).

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

37 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

The Great got cancelled. Never saw it but I know it's highly regarded on the board.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-great-canceled-3-seasons-hulu-1235708497/

I think the creator and writing team suspected it was on the bubble, so it ends in a way that feels like a fair close to the series, though I know they had ideas for more seasons. I do think Nicholas Hoult being out of the picture (except as an apparation/flashback/dream) was particularly something that would inevitably create a challenge for a future season, as he was so integral to the show.

It was great fun while it lasted, though. Huzzah!

12 hours ago, WarGalley said:

The Great got cancelled. Never saw it but I know it's highly regarded on the board.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-great-canceled-3-seasons-hulu-1235708497/

Thats a big shame, but you get the sense that the show was better focusing on a singular period of time, I'm happy with a 3 season arc as it is. I haven't actually watched the Helen Mirren Catherine the Great mini series but maybe you could just jump over to that to see an older version of the character. Won't be as funny though.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Surprising buzz about..... Sophie Turner?? 

But it's CW, so...

CW boss says next CW show is awesome does not seem like the best source!

I hope it's true, though. She looks very 80s in the photo.

Met her once, years ago, on a GoT junket (it was either S2 or S3), and she was a very bubbly and cheerful, and went out of her way to say hello as she knew who I was.

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

CW boss says next CW show is awesome does not seem like the best source!

I hope it's true, though. She looks very 80s in the photo.

Met her once, years ago, on a GoT junket (it was either S2 or S3), and she was a very bubbly and cheerful, and went out of her way to say hello as she knew who I was.

Met her briefly with a bunch of other BwBers at 2012 eastercon, this was just before season two premier and he was with her mother. Shook everones hand

ha, yeah CW boss says CW show and associated lead are awards bait doesn't really speak much to me.

CW does not generally do well at awards shows either right? I've not paid attention much lately, true, but I have a vague recollection that the likes of HBO, Showtime and Netflix tended to sweep up?

I've no particular thoughts on Sophie as an actress, I think she was solidly fine through the latter half of GoT and not familiar with her other work. She always seems nice enough in interviews etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Howey Adaptation Beacon 23 Makes the Jump to MGM+

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/mgm-beacon-23-spectrum-originals-shutdown-premiere-date-1235728427/

The sci-fi series is scheduled to premiere globally on Nov. 12 on the streamer

Created and executive produced by Penn, Starring Lena Headey and Stephan James, the sci-fi thriller is said to follow Aster (Headey), a government agent, and Halan (James), a stoic ex-military man, who cross paths when they end up trapped together inside one of the many Beacons in outer space that serve as a lighthouse for intergalactic travelers.

Orphan Black: Echoes sold to ITV (for their ITVX platform) in the UK and NBCUniversal's SyFy channel across Europe.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/orphan-black-sequel-series-itv-1235601783/

Maybe we'll get a release date soon?

AMC Networks earlier greenlit the follow-up series, which is set in the same fictional world as the Tatiana Maslany-starring, multi-character sci-fi drama that ran from 2013 to 2017. Echoes does not yet have a U.S. launch date. New global buyers for the Orphan Black continuation include Stan Entertainment in Australia, New Zealand’s TVNZ, NPO in The Netherlands, France’s OCS and NOW Studio in Hong Kong.