DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

11 hours ago, Relic said:

Pretty sure its a reference by Chani to how the Benne Gesserit planted the seeds for controlling the Fremen via the Lisan al-Gaib prophesy, and the Missionaria Protectiva

Pretty sure the entire point of planting that prophecy is to make the Fremen genuinely believe in a Messiah so they’re easier to control…Chani being self aware of it would basically ruin the entire plot. Unless Paul tells her himself in the movie.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Probably… but Chani being overtly aware of the Missionaria would be something new

Maybe that's something Villeneuve decided to do in this film. I mean, if there are literally millions of Fremen, it would only make sense that some of them would be agnostic about the Lisan al Gaib.

ETA: There are already a few who are skeptical about Paul being "the one".

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

1 minute ago, Quijote Light said:

Didn’t Villaneuve say that Chani would feature much more in this film? Maybe she’ll represent the part of Paul’s internal arguments against the jihad. 

Nah, she's the one egging him on. Chani is Fremen, Fremen, Fremen.

13 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

I can bear mentions of "holy war" only so much in the movie. Political correctness, ugh. Herbert had it easy back then.

It’s worse, now it’s ‘crusades’ why do they need to westernise everything? Also the reason it was called Jihad in the first place is because it was hinted that the ancestors of the Fremen were indeed in some part descended from Arabs.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

:rolleyes:

They use crusade instead of jihad because in between Herbert writing the book and this film coming out, the cultural perception of 'jihad' got a whole new meaning to most of the expected audience, one that draws emotional responses it would've have back then. Using it no longer achieves what Herbert wanted it to. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

:rolleyes:

They use crusade instead of jihad because in between Herbert writing the book and this film coming out, the cultural perception of 'jihad' got a whole new meaning to most of the expected audience, one that draws emotional responses it would've have back then. Using it no longer achieves what Herbert wanted it to. 

Sure but it breaks the world building, the fremen were not descended from Western European knights.

Considering that the time that separates our current time from this fictional one by far exceeds our own recorded history, this seems like an odd hill to die on.

Language changes. Words that were taboo in my youth are now normalized. Other words that were thrown around without a care, are now verboten. 

Whether they say "holy war", "crusade", or "jihad", the spirt is the same: fanatics killing over belief.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

though I'd say the current understanding of the word still fits pretty well into what happens in Dune.

It does, but if anything too well. Basically 'jihad' has come to have inherently antagonistic connotations to Western audiences. Whereas you're not supposed to think of the Fremen as antagonists. You could make a pretty strong argument that the existence of that perception is a problem, but it'd be asking a little much for Villeneuve to change it by himself. Which he'd have to do outside of the film, because using it for the jihad in the film would reinforce it if anything.

also:

9 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also the reason it was called Jihad in the first place is because it was hinted that the ancestors of the Fremen were indeed in some part descended from Arabs.

This isn't even true. Yes, the Fremen have Arab descent and are obviously in part modelled on the Bedouin, and other words in the setting carry that implication, but the word 'jihad' is (1) used by non-Fremen Paul about his visions long before the jihad starts, and (2) used for the Butlerian Jihad, a conflict that had nothing to do with the Fremen and made the word ubiquitous in-universe because it's probably the most important event to ever happen. 

Let's not even get into how dumb it is that Herbert actually used the whole Fremen - Arab connection. Inspired fiction, that! This is actually one change im fully onboard with, even as a teenager I was confused by the use of the word Jihad in the novels. 

13 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It’s worse, now it’s ‘crusades’ why do they need to westernise everything? Also the reason it was called Jihad in the first place is because it was hinted that the ancestors of the Fremen were indeed in some part descended from Arabs.

The Zensunni wanderers.  So… Bhuddist/Muslims.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Let's not even get into how dumb it is that Herbert actually used the whole Fremen - Arab connection. Inspired fiction, that! This is actually one change im fully onboard with, even as a teenager I was confused by the use of the word Jihad in the novels. 

I read Dune for the first time when I was 13 after the first attempt at a film came out.  “Jihad” didn’t bother me.

(I also know the difference between “lesser” and “greater” jihad.)

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

17 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Chani being self aware of it would basically ruin the entire plot.

Well, at least in Chapter 37 of Dune, Chani too becomes a Reverend Mother (the Freeman equivalent of a Bene Gesserit) by drinking the spice potion with Jessica. A very great deal is revealed in that long scene in which Jessica changes the 'water' so it is safe for the tribe to drink it and have a big party.

There was the dying Freeman Reverend Mother, who enters Jessica's mind, and Jessica hers, so they have mutual access to the previous generational knowledge. And Jessica's unborn child, Paul's sister, becomes a part of it too.

So ya, she does have foresight or whatever the culture calls the gift of prophecy.  She and Jessica are thus able to 'share' which is of importance in the novel.  Of course Chani knows.

Nor did the Bene Gesserit plant that concept in the Freeman for Them to control the Freeman per se, but to make a safety net for a potentially stranded Bene Gesserit.  Jessica explicitly says this in Dune

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Well, at least in Chapter 37 of Dune, Chani too becomes a Reverend Mother (the Freeman equivalent of a Bene Gesserit) by drinking the spice potion with Jessica. A very great deal is revealed in that long scene in which Jessica changes the 'water' so it is safe for the tribe to drink it and have a big party.

There was the dying Freeman Reverend Mother, who enters Jessica's mind, and Jessica hers, so they have mutual access to the previous generational knowledge. And Jessica's unborn child, Paul's sister, becomes a part of it too.

So ya, she does have foresight or whatever the culture calls the gift of prophecy.  She and Jessica are thus able to 'share' which is of importance in the novel.  Of course Chani knows.

Nor did the Bene Gesserit plant that concept in the Freeman for Them to control the Freeman per se, but to make a safety net for a potentially stranded Bene Gesserit.  Jessica explicitly says this in Dune

I beg to differ.  Chani never becomes a “Reverend Mother”.  She doesn’t undergo “the agony” and obtain “other memory”.  She was Jessica’s second… willing to undergo “the Agony” if Jessica failed in her attempt.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison