Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

1 hour ago, Week said:

Tesla's founders were pushed out in 2008 by the rainmaker that joined a year after its founding.

A fair correction. It's curious what they would have become if Elon never stepped in with the financing. 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/its-not-musks-plane-it-belongs-to-spacex

... It appears to be a corporate jet owned by SpaceX, the space launch company which along with Tesla is one of two companies on which Musk’s fortune is based. (Unlike Tesla, SpaceX remains a private company.) ...

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tesla and its stock value has always been a mirage. I've never really understood how it spiked so much. It was due for a correction anyways and Elon might have made that significantly worse than it ever needed to be. Idk how these stages work, but at some point Tesla might not want to have anything to do with the creator and just buy him out to be rid of him.

I have no understanding of economics or finance whatsoever but it has seemed suspicious and unmaintainable to me that Tesla's stock price/market cap or whatever is so much higher than all the several car companies that sell vastly more cars than they do. I know they do other stuff with the batteries they produce, but that doesn't seem enough to make up the difference. It's a boulder balancing on a blancmange, surely? 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A fair correction. It's curious what they would have become if Elon never stepped in with the financing. 

He provided about 6.5M of more than 100M of private funding (series A (when he invested/entered) and B) and ~450M loan from the US Gov (paid back with 12M interest IIRC) as well as additional funding.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I have no understanding of economics or finance whatsoever but it has seemed suspicious and unmaintainable to me that Tesla's stock price/market cap or whatever is so much higher than all the several car companies that sell vastly more cars than they do. I know they do other stuff with the batteries they produce, but that doesn't seem enough to make up the difference. It's a boulder balancing on a blancmange, surely? 

It's mostly based on their ability to produce EVs at scales and at profit margins beyond any traditional automaker at this point, which they've spent the last decade building up. EVs are in the exponential growth phase of the uptake, and many western countries are outright banning fossil fuel powered vehicles in 10-12 years.

This is while the traditional car manufacturers are really struggling to figure out how to get their manufacturing and supply lines reconfigured to building EVs at a profit. In particular Toyota (along with the other Japanese carmakers) really seem to have missed the ball on where the industry is headed, having bet heavily on hydrogen.

But yeah Tesla were wildly wildly overpriced. It's come back down to more sane levels now given their potential for growth. Elon killing the brand with their natural customer base won't help with that potential though.

4 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

It's mostly based on their ability to produce EVs at scales and at profit margins beyond any traditional automaker at this point, which they've spent the last decade building up. EVs are in the exponential growth phase of the uptake, and many western countries are outright banning fossil fuel powered vehicles in 10-12 years.

This is while the traditional car manufacturers are really struggling to figure out how to get their manufacturing and supply lines reconfigured to building EVs at a profit. In particular Toyota (along with the other Japanese carmakers) really seem to have missed the ball on where the industry is headed, having bet heavily on hydrogen.

But yeah Tesla were wildly wildly overpriced. It's come back down to more sane levels now given their potential for growth. Elon killing the brand with their natural customer base won't help with that potential though.

Electric cars have tremendous growth potential.  The billion dollar question is whether Teslas can continue to have a oligopolistic/near-monopolistic control of the market given their price.  Right now the market is assuming that Teslas will become to cars what the Iphone became to smart phones.  Doubtful bet, in my view.  

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… I just deleted my twitter app.  I got tired of being called a “pedophile groomer” for having the timerity to stand up to people defending Trump.

I got told, just got this morning, that my daughters are going to grow up to hate me and that the hater will pray for them and like… lol

They’re all god fearing no minds that are likely only alive today because of society, too hateful to be grateful.

Are you going to one of the other social media sites?  I'm on Post and Counter social.   I use Twitter mostly to read and follow people I find interesting, so I rarely engage and usually just retweet once in a while or comment on a post.  Here on this little slice of paradise we know you ain't no pedo groomer!      :cheers:

16 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Are you going to one of the other social media sites?  I'm on Post and Counter social.   I use Twitter mostly to read and follow people I find interesting, so I rarely engage and usually just retweet once in a while or comment on a post.  Here on this little slice of paradise we know you ain't no pedo groomer!      /cdn-cgi/mirage/6dc3d3eb1a38505cabd90fb7ffd43995f14702a0df4cf40d6136ae67a48e140e/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_cheers.gif

I’m on the waiting list for post.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m on the waiting list for post.

Once you get on Post let me know and I'll follow you.  I'm not on Post or Twitter as LongRider but if I follow you I'll let you know.     :) 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Electric cars have tremendous growth potential.  The billion dollar question is whether Teslas can continue to have a oligopolistic/near-monopolistic control of the market given their price.  Right now the market is assuming that Teslas will become to cars what the Iphone became to smart phones.  Doubtful bet, in my view.  

Eh, it's not valued at a trillion $ anymore, its less than half that.

Sure it's still double the value of Toyota, but their net revenue is actually pretty close right now given they make 8x more per car, and they're probably best placed of the non-Chinese companies to scale with the growing market. I don't think they need to hit iphone levels for their current valuation to not be completely stupid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/12/17/elon-musk-twitter-overkill/

In “The Madness of King George,” there are several scenes where very learned doctors dedicate considerable time and effort to squinting at the contents of the king’s chamber pot. Watching the movie, you think, “Well, at least we are at a stage of civilization where we don’t have to do that! We do not live in a world that hinges so completely on the condition of one or two powerful men that it is worth our while to spend hours every day examining their stools in minute detail and trying to draw conclusions from them." But then Elon Musk buys Twitter, and — I can think of no better analogy for what has ensued. ....

.... There is something desperately boring about despots and plutocrats. And one of the frustrating consequences of an unequal society is that the rest of us have to care what is going on with them. Now Trump might be gone, but we still have a main character we don’t want. ...

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

There is a kind of irrational madness that occurs in the stock market now and then over certain stocks. Sometimes it happens over entire sectors, like the craze over technology and internet stocks in late 90s, which led to that nasty crash that terrified an entire generation. The players really drove stock prices up, to the great sorrow of the suckers (the rest of us). I remember begging a friend to sell their Nortel, and they told me they didn’t want to pay the taxes on the profit. As the price fell they kept saying “it has to stop and go back up, right, people can’t lose all that money!” Poor fools.

There’s a reason why “Never catch a falling knife” is a truism in the industry.

People fell in love with Tesla and consider it a “must have stock”. From what I see of the pros, some consider it a good company worth owning while others have considered it a company they couldn’t afford not to own, since people were so obsessed with it.

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

They won't, for a number reasons I won't bore you with. 

It's worth noting that about 100 years ago (almost exactly) Ford Motor Co. was the biggest car maker in the world in terms of volume. They outsold the rest of the top ten combined. By the mid 1950's they surrendered the number one spot to General Motors and never got it back. 

Apparently the Tesla Semi has been released and I still cannot find any information on what the actual payload is. Funny huh? When I googled it I got some really weird shit from Tesla friendly websites.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There is a kind of irrational madness that occurs in the stock market now and then over certain stocks. Sometimes it happens over entire sectors, like the craze over technology and internet stocks in late 90s, which led to that nasty crash that terrified an entire generation. The players really drove stock prices up, to the great sorrow of the suckers (the rest of us). I remember begging a friend to sell their Nortel, and they told me they didn’t want to pay the taxes on the profit. As the price fell they kept saying “it has to stop and go back up, right, people can’t lose all that money!” Poor fools.

There’s a reason why “Never catch a falling knife” is a truism in the industry.

People fell in love with Tesla and consider it a “must have stock”. From what I see of the pros, some consider it a good company worth owning while others have considered it a company they couldn’t afford not to own, since people were so obsessed with it.

Different sectors tend to trade at different P/E ratios. Jim Chanos, famous short seller who took a bit of a bath on his Tesla shorts commented that Tesla is being priced like a tech startup. If you priced them like a car company, they'd be worth zero. He will probably end up being right. 

Tesla is already what iPhones are to smartphones - they don’t have a market share majority or even the number one spot, but they do make more money off every sold unit than anyone else. They’re also similar in that they didn’t make the first electric car/smartphone, but they improved it enough to start a revolution. Despite what we all think about Elon Musk, it cannot be overstated what Tesla has meant to the electric car.

It’s very likely that they will eventually be surpassed in profitability as well, just like Apple likely will, but just like the smartphone market once was, there is still enormous growth potential in electric cars because they will expand at the expense of gas and diesel cars, that have a combined market share on the order of 90%.

I think that is one reason Tesla look good to investors. The expect that the sales volumes will continue to soar because of the enormous demand for electric cars.

Archived