Are there any characters you just have 0 sympathy for?

Maegor_the_Cool

22 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Even Chett…petty, murderous backstabbing vindictive shit that he is, his backstory might be the worst we see in the books, and my god that’s saying something. 

Am I missing something? He was mocked and insulted about his looks. Oh, and his dad had a kind of gross way of making money. That's your candidate for worst backstory in the books?

I wouldn’t say I have no sympathy for him, but I probably have less sympathy for Glendon Ball than I am supposed to. I get it, he’s insecure and an underdog and has a giant chip on his shoulder. But his arrogance (however feigned) is obnoxious, and there’s something genuinely creepy about assuming the name and kinship of someone who a) probably isn’t actually his father and b) he’s never met. It’s like if someone born the year after Elvis died changed their last name to Presley and showed up at an awards show expecting a place of honor in the front row. The fact that Fireball was a POS that forced his wife to join the silent sisters also doesn’t help.

There’s also the little fact about him selling his sister for a knighthood. Maybe she was in on it and did so willingly, but it’s just as likely that he trafficked his sister to some creep so that he could be knighted.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I wouldn’t say I have no sympathy for him, but I probably have less sympathy for Glendon Ball than I am supposed to. I get it, he’s insecure and an underdog and has a giant chip on his shoulder. But his arrogance (however feigned) is obnoxious, and there’s something genuinely creepy about assuming the name and kinship of someone who a) probably isn’t actually his father and b) he’s never met. It’s like if someone born the year after Elvis died changed their last name to Presley and showed up at an awards show expecting a place of honor in the front row. The fact that Fireball was a POS that forced his wife to join the silent sisters also doesn’t help.

There’s also the little fact about him selling his sister for a knighthood. Maybe she was in on it and did so willingly, but it’s just as likely that he trafficked his sister to some creep so that he could be knighted.

Ain't nothin but a hound dog?

I agree 100% with your post, I do however also think, that if preforming at an awards show hed move those hips, rhyme those bars and shred that guitar like only a Presley could 

Dany.  Maybe I had some sympathy for her early in the first book.  But, she always came off as too entitled/stuck up.  The ideal ending has her armies crushed, and her taken captive but not killed.  Bran/the victorious Starks would show appreciation for their loyal bannerman by gifting her a a concubine to Jojen Reed.  

5 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

Dany.  Maybe I had some sympathy for her early in the first book.  But, she always came off as too entitled/stuck up.  

Yeah, I agree. I used to like her character but that really began to wear on me. Don't get me wrong, she's trying to do good work in Slaver's Bay, but I just don't really like her character anymore. In fact, I used to really like House Targaryen, but then I read Fire and Blood and it put me right off them, for the same reason. And also they could not do anything without the dragons. I thought someone called Aegon the Conquerer would be a better military strategist. But no, every battle can be summarised as: the Targaryens' much smaller army decided to engage a superior foe and was losing, then the dragons showed up. What was the point of even having their army attack in the first place? The dragons did all the work. He just got his men killed for no reason.

5 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

The ideal ending has her armies crushed, and her taken captive but not killed.

Ideally her armies don't land in Westeros in the first place and she stays to help the people of Slaver's Bay, who actually want her there.

• 3 months later...

Janos Slynt - One of the little things about him that always got me extra angry was the fact that he had many men of the watch paying him part of their salaries as bribes for their positions. There are a lot of bad leaders in the series but taking from your own men, from the money they need to feed their families, is really petty. 

Ramsay Snow - Just an absolute shithead. 

Roose Bolton - When you go back and reread knowing what Ramsay will do in ACOK and what he will do in ASOS you can see just how evil he is. How many Northern Lords and respected commanders he gets captured or killed, how much he fucks over Robb, and how he was always out for himself even before the Red Wedding. 

1 hour ago, SilverGhost said:

Janos Slynt - One of the little things about him that always got me extra angry was the fact that he had many men of the watch paying him part of their salaries as bribes for their positions. There are a lot of bad leaders in the series but taking from your own men, from the money they need to feed their families, is really petty. 

Ramsay Snow - Just an absolute shithead. 

Roose Bolton - When you go back and reread knowing what Ramsay will do in ACOK and what he will do in ASOS you can see just how evil he is. How many Northern Lords and respected commanders he gets captured or killed, how much he fucks over Robb, and how he was always out for himself even before the Red Wedding. 

Roose your forgetting raping a  mans wife to make ramsay and killing the  poor man for not asking permission to marry (how may  others on his land  has he raped?) ! The way he reacts to ramsays crimes is that hes done the same himself and just wants it to stay quiet + i doubt the original reek was the one to teach ramsay how to be an expert with a flaying blade either.

1 hour ago, astarkchoice said:

Roose your forgetting raping a  mans wife to make ramsay and killing the  poor man for not asking permission to marry (how may  others on his land  has he raped?) ! The way he reacts to ramsays crimes is that hes done the same himself and just wants it to stay quiet + i doubt the original reek was the one to teach ramsay how to be an expert with a flaying blade either.

Yes. Listing all of the reasons why Roose is awful would take all of my Sunday. I was just pointing out some side reasons that were in my head at the moment. 

On 1/23/2023 at 9:49 AM, James Arryn said:

Hmmm…hard to answer. Say Ramsay. Hate him. Least favourite character in the books. But do I think he’s without anything worthy of sympathy? With Roose raising him according to the How To Make Psychopaths cookbook? No, that sounds horrible. And we hear he’s been mocked for his appearance all his life, which is no less victimizing than it is for Brienne or Tyrion. Similarly anyone raised by Tywin. Even Chett…petty, murderous backstabbing vindictive shit that he is, his backstory might be the worst we see in the books, and my god that’s saying something. 

I can say there are characters like the Mountain about whom, possible medical theories aside, we are given no factors that contributed to his being a monster. Ergo no reason to sympathize. 

still, as he is now he is so completely terrifying I can feel no sympathy just a great desire to kill him.

I even feel more sympathy for Biter than for Ramsay! Similar cases.

No sympathy for Janos Slynt he is the essential human crumb.

Edited by Castellan

Gregor and all of his men. Just horrible people all around, possibly the worst characters in the series, with Ramsay being the only person to come even close.

Edited by sifth