DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin

@Myrddin

Spoiler

You know what, no, it doesn’t set up the new one. It so easily could’ve, but they opted for a weird gag (I think?) instead. I can only think that maybe Gunn / DC figured that they didn’t want Ezra’s Flash even associated with the new stuff, so fuck it, let this be its own confusing thing and reboot fresh. But … with like, Peacemaker presumably, and Amanda Waller. Holy balls I will never stop being amazed at how much DC are capable of shitting on their own doorstep.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

@Myrddin

Hide contents

You know what, no, it doesn’t set up the new one. It so easily could’ve, but they opted for a weird gag (I think?) instead. I can only think that maybe Gunn / DC figured that they didn’t want Ezra’s Flash even associated with the new stuff, so fuck it, let this be its own confusing thing and reboot fresh. But … with like, Peacemaker presumably, and Amanda Waller. Holy balls I will never stop being amazed at how much DC are capable of shitting on their own doorstep.

Spoiler

Wasn’t the film completed long before Gunn entered the frame?

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
  Hide contents

Wasn’t the film completed long before Gunn entered the frame?

Completed maybe, but this has been heavily tinkered with. Reading some of the ‘leaks’ before it released and comparing them to the finished product, there’s all kinds of ‘this scene was supposed to be X but they changed their minds’.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Completed maybe, but this has been heavily tinkered with. Reading some of the ‘leaks’ before it released and comparing them to the finished product, there’s all kinds of ‘this scene was supposed to be X but they changed their minds’.

Yeah, but more often then not, ‘leaks’ are BS anyway.

On 6/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, Myrddin said:

Non-detailed spoiler request: Does the movie end/wrap up Snyderverse or does it effectively reboot into the new DCU?

It definitely wraps up the Snyderverse.

My thoughts:

Spoiler

It was almost really good. Unfortunately act 3 is quite messy, and sad to say most of Keaton's stuff... wasn't very good and derailed the movie after a very strong act 1. I quite enjoyed what they did with Zod.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.  I hate that Ezra Miller has made himself so toxic.

Spoiler

The story is well thought out.  Emotional satisfying without ignoring the broader consequences of being able to move freely backward in time.  

(The “Back to the Future” discussion was amusing… as was watching the Nick Cage Superman fight a gigantic mechanical spider)

It does run into serious paradox problems though.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I haven't ever seen a DCEU movie in theaters, and never suspected this would be the one to tempt me, but:

Spoiler

Nic Cage finally getting to fight the giant mechanical spider from Wild Wild West is just a great thing to happen. Afterall these years of wondering what could have been I may have to see that on the big screen. 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

not sure i can stomach seeing miller on screen

I really don't understand the redemption tour and 'a moment of bad mental health' angle when even the most generous interpretation of events has them running off with a girl they met when she was 12.

Enjoyed the movie, but it was hard to follow at times. It was weird because they did a great job at simplying it at certain points, but it got very convuluted at others. (And at a high speed so no time to think it out before the action proceeds)

Glad Keaton as Batman was more than a cameo as that was the main reason I was going to the movie. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:54 PM, polishgenius said:

I really don't understand the redemption tour and 'a moment of bad mental health' angle when even the most generous interpretation of events has them running off with a girl they met when she was 12.

It's pretty interesting to me, too. You have someone like JK Rowlings, who commits no crimes and devotes a lot of her resources to charitable causes, but doesn't align fully with the groupthink orthodoxy of transgenderism, and the denizens online and the press are enraged. This also applies to Johnny Depp, who is alleged to be a domestic abuser by another domestic abuser...sufficient to rally the press and denizens of the net against him.

Then you see someone like Miller, who did in fact not only engage in a lengthy criminal rampage, but openly groomed an underage individual, and things are much more muted.

I personally separate the art from the artists, and won't let Miller's actions prevent me from watching this (the perfect string of completely abysmal movies the DCEU has thus far produced is preventing me from watching this). But it is fascinating to see the more limited outrage here, to the point the studio thinks that a redemption story of a psychopath is a good idea (as opposed to simply refusing to discuss Rowlings, or summarily firing Depp).

Please god, spare me another discussion or side by side of JKR. 

Not even sure I’ll watch The Flash once it’s free on Crave, and I was pretty clear about Miller from the get go. 

The DC IP for WB has been swirling around the toilet bowl for years, but that turd just won’t flush. Can’t imagine the pressure Gunn and whatshisface are under, but it’ll be full on now that Flash is finally out. 

Watched it last night, wasn’t bad. Imax screen I was in was almost deserted.

At least if it bombs, Gunn can cut Miller loose easily enough.

Spoiler

Was odd how it was hyped as being the film that transitions the DCEU into the DCU. It does no such thing other than introduces the multiverse.

1 hour ago, JGP said:

Please god, spare me another discussion or side by side of JKR.

:lol:

Oh yes, please excuse me for having the audacity of sullying your day by idly observing a point of obvious social hypocrisy that I found personally interesting. I often forget that you are the center of the universe, and accommodating your whims should be prioritized.

I’m listening to the Weekly Planet podcast. The words “Scorpion King” were invoked to describe the CGI.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Flash appears to br bombing hard at the box office. Black Adam’s numbers would be looking good to DC/WB around now

it won’t be the last. Elemental also opened soft, Indiana Jones 5 looks like it’s going to suck wind, Aquaman, Blue Beetle, and The Marvels come out later this year. Unless they get insanely good word-of-mouth, I’m not optimistic for any of them. 

I had low expectations for Flash but it still disappointed. Way more Ezra Miller than a stomach can handle. Who the hell thought having two of them would be a good idea?

Michael Keaton was fun and Supergirl was intriguing for the short time she was onscreen, but other than that, not much to go on.

Also a podcaster said there was an ass shot of Gal Gadot but I didn't see any. Not happy.

Don't get the reason for the cameo at the end. Were they just trying to be funny?

48 minutes ago, IFR said:

:lol:

Oh yes, please excuse me for having the audacity of sullying your day by idly observing a point of obvious social hypocrisy that I found personally interesting. I often forget that you are the center of the universe, and accommodating your whims should be prioritized.

I was more speaking out loud than anything, but I mean, if you wanna start some shit this is great opening salvo. :)