The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

And now to something completely different...

Anybody seen or heard anything from Jace?

I know, we all talk about DMC, who is at least logging in now and then without posting, but jace is also MIA.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Most people were workers or slaves. What hope did they have from Roman and Greek gods? Their worlds were full of multiple gods who ruled at a whim, came down to rape and murder, and even treated their own with cruelty. And Romans and Egyptians and even Israelis used human sacrifice to appease their gods.

Small point, but the Romans didn't practice human sacrifice at the time of Augustus. It was banned in 97BC and continued as such for the remainder of the Republic and into the Empire. Given the ritual aspects of death in the area and the execution of captives, this may seem to be splitting hairs. But the educated classes of Rome definitely saw human sacrifice as something uncivilised and unroman. 

Human sacrifice in the form of retainer burials died out in Egypt long before even the Ptolemies. 

And it was written into the faith of the Roman-era Jews that they shouldn't commit human sacrifice. They were also joyless stick-up-the-bums who disapproved of the Romans' amphitheatre entertainments. 

Ran across this clip of a Bison letting a couple fools off with just a warning. 

Another fellow was less lucky as the story was accompanied with a photo of him pinned to the ground by a massive wild Yellowstone Bison. Fortunately the animal was unharmed and not euthanized over the thoughtless tourists irresponsible actions.

Leave the G@D@MN wildlife be !!!

On 9/5/2023 at 1:54 AM, dog-days said:

Small point, but the Romans didn't practice human sacrifice at the time of Augustus. It was banned in 97BC and continued as such for the remainder of the Republic and into the Empire. Given the ritual aspects of death in the area and the execution of captives, this may seem to be splitting hairs. But the educated classes of Rome definitely saw human sacrifice as something uncivilised and unroman. 

Human sacrifice in the form of retainer burials died out in Egypt long before even the Ptolemies. 

And it was written into the faith of the Roman-era Jews that they shouldn't commit human sacrifice. They were also joyless stick-up-the-bums who disapproved of the Romans' amphitheatre entertainments. 

Earlier Caananites however did practice some human sacrifice though, I thought ive read as much from some archeological reports?

Im sure an argument could associate many cultures with such practice even upto our modern genocides of the 20th century, lots of unclean hands to go around.

54 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Earlier Caananites however did practice some human sacrifice though, I thought ive read as much from some archeological reports?

Millennia prior to the Roman Republic and the empire.  Who were not Caananites in first place.  One of the reasons the Romans were horrified by Carthage is it did human sacrifice -- though archaeology is currently divided, it seems, as to whether or not Carthage did indeed perform the sacrifice of children.

Recall, in all ages, one of the reasons always trotted out to justify one group's hatred and desire to conquer another is -- 'the children!'  Most recently recall the totally, professionally manufactured death of preemies to steal the equipment in the first Iraq war, which Congress bought at their hearings, full sinker.  To be embarrassed (as much as politicos can ever be embarrassed) when the facts of this phony video etc. came out.

We have a presentation next week. Launching something big. Something I've been thinking about for the best part of three years.

The Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative.

Here's the introduction to the document I will be handing out.

p.s. I can't believe this is my life now, lol.

In an era where the spectre of climate change looms ever larger, casting its long, foreboding shadow over our fields, farms, and future, one question persists, haunting the minds of agriculturists, policy-makers, and concerned citizens alike: How do we protect the lifeline of our civilization—the crops that feed us, fuel us, heal us, and fundamentally sustain our way of life?

The Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative is a venture that dares to confront these existential challenges head-on. This document serves as both a manifesto and a roadmap, charting a course through the murky waters of uncertainty towards a more secure, sustainable future.

Fire. Flood. Storm. Each of these elemental threats carries with it a history of ravaging landscapes, ruining livelihoods, and robbing communities of their hard-earned sustenance. They are the ancient adversaries of human progress, ever-present and ever-merciless. But while these forces of nature have been with us since the first time we planted grass for food, the frequency, intensity, and scale at which they strike are undeniably on the rise. This isn't merely a challenge; it's a clarion call for immediate, tangible action.

But what if we could pre-emptively shield our crops from these devastating events? What if we could create an agricultural fortress, not built from bricks and mortar, but through the ingenuity of modern technology and the indomitable spirit of human innovation? Imagine a world where farms are not just passive plots of land, but active defence systems. A world where crop fields are no longer just a medium for growth, but a secure vault safeguarding our future harvests. This is not the stuff of science fiction or idle daydreams; this is the audacious ambition at the heart of the Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative.

And yet, optimism is nothing without action, and vision is nothing without validation. Our presentation today will delve into the mechanics, the scientific reasoning, and the implementation strategies that make this initiative more than just a lofty idea.

From intensive R&D, to extensive field trials and public-private partnerships, we outline the comprehensive measures that are necessary to transform this vision into a working reality.

Today, we find ourselves at a pivotal juncture in human history, a moment fraught with peril but also ripe with opportunity. The challenges are staggering, but so too are the possibilities. With the Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative, we do not merely aspire to weather the storm; we aim to redefine our relationship with the natural world itself, transforming vulnerabilities into strengths and threats into opportunities.

So, can we really do this? Can we build this bulwark against the capricious wrath of Mother Nature? The answer is an unflinching, unequivocal yes. We can build anything. And with your collaboration, investment, and belief, we will.

Welcome to a revolution in crop security. Welcome to the Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative.

I'd like to see Elon try and stop a wildfire in its tracks.

Edited by Spockydog

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

We have a presentation next week. Launching something big. Something I've been thinking about for the best part of three years.

The Lazyframe Crop Security Initiative.

Here's the introduction to the document I will be handing out.

p.s. I can't believe this is my life now, lol.

I'd like to see Elon try and stop a wildfire in its tracks.

Nicely done!  Only thing I might have added is a bit about potentially eliminating pestilence.  (Keeping with the Biblical disaster theme!)   I remember your talking about how, because plants are airborne, ground dwelling insect threats are eliminated.  

Was someone hired to write this, or is it self-authored?  Group effort?

How exciting! - both for you and yours, but also for so many other reasons.  

10 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Nicely done!  Only thing I might have added is a bit about potentially eliminating pestilence.  (Keeping with the Biblical disaster theme!)   I remember your talking about how, because plants are airborne, ground dwelling insect threats are eliminated.  

Was someone hired to write this, or is it self-authored?  Group effort?

How exciting! - both for you and yours, but also for so many other reasons.  

Nah, this is all me. Major firms used to pay me £600 a day for shit like this. :D

But I know my limitations as a project manager, and that's why I put this in the final section of my report (though, I'll hopefully still get to play with a flamethrower....)

While my contributions as the inventor behind the Lazyframe system cannot be overstated, I fully recognize the scope and complexity involved in turning this ground-breaking concept into a large-scale, functional infrastructure project.

My forte lies in ideation, research, and the developmental phases of this project. However, the execution of Lazyframe at this kind of scale requires a distinct set of skills—experience in managing large infrastructure projects, intricate logistical details, and vast budget, more than I have ever had to manage.

A Pragmatic First Step: Appointing a Specialized Project Lead

• Understanding my own limitations, the first action we intend to take upon receiving funding will be the appointment of a dedicated Project Lead with proven experience in managing large-scale infrastructure projects.
  • This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day operational aspects, making sure the project stays on track in terms of timelines, budget, and quality.
  • Oversight and Decision-Making: A Committee Approach
  • In tandem, we propose the formation of an oversight committee comprising representatives from government and relevant NGOs, along with myself.
  • While the Project Lead will manage the execution, all key decisions will pass through this committee, ensuring a diversity of perspectives and a system of checks and balances.
  • My role will evolve into one of executive oversight, bringing to the table my deep understanding of Lazyframe's potential and how best to realize it, without getting mired in the nitty-gritty details of project management.

By taking this collaborative approach, we combine the best of both worlds: my visionary concept and a team of experts capable of executing it. This ensures that Lazyframe not only remains true to its original purpose but also stands the best chance of successful, efficient implementation.

It's a win-win scenario, leveraging specialized skills and visionary thinking to transform the future of crop security.

This governance model prioritizes both efficiency and integrity, promising a balanced and well-executed project that stays true to its revolutionary roots while benefiting from top-tier execution expertise.

A lifetime ago, I was splitting my time between London and Paris, running massive, multi-million-dollar IT implementation projects that made me want to tear my fucking face off. Then I gave that up to look after Chops.

Now I'm back. But this time, I'm launching my baby. I don't have kids, but I'm suddenly CEO of a start-up that is poised to launch a product that Literally Every Single Person I've Talked To Recently has told me will likely sow widespread, multi-sector disruption, and probably end up changing the world. It appears that I might have a legacy, after all.

I was watching a documentary recently about Joseph Bramah, the chap who patented the hydraulic press. They performed an experiment that demonstrated the principle with just a pair of syringes, a tube, and some water. It was so simple, yet so powerful.

People tell me that's the mark of a great invention. Like mine. :hat:

The whole thing is freakin' exhilarating. And terrifying. I am beset with imposter syndrome and I have to prep for half-a-dozen face-to-face meetings in the City next week, culminating in a presentation to a room full of people on the Parliamentary Estate.

I think I said it before. I feel like I'm in someone else's body. I just fear-spunked a grand on reiss.com. Been a long time since I shopped there. 

p.s. I put an entire chapter on pesticide reduction and soil regeneration in my report. It might get published one day, lol.

Fun Fact: Did you know that between 20-40% of all agricultural crops are lost every year to some form of pestilence?

I think this rocks. 

Elevating Agriculture: How the Lazyframe Can Redefine Crop Security

At the heart of Lazyscrog Technologies lies an ethos of transformative simplicity—of innovations that rewrite what’s possible, without complicating the goal.

The Lazyframe is a stunning manifestation of this philosophy, a harmonious extension of our Lazyscrog product range. It takes the inherently uncomplicated yet effective concept of the A-frame—one of mankind's most ancient architectural designs—and imbues it with the technology and utility to meet the needs of a modern, perilous world.

Imagine, for a moment, a child’s swing set. But instead of laughing, swinging children, a series of Lazyscrogged plants sway gently in the breeze, their branches heavy with fruit.

It’s the first morning of harvest. The farmer arrives for work. Craning his neck, he looks up with satisfaction at the fruits of his labour. As he does at the same time every year, he thinks about the last time crops were lost in these fields. He thinks about it, but he can’t remember. Not really. He was just a boy. But one thing he will never forget was the hunger. Nor the living skeletons his parents became in the years that followed.

The Lazyframe – Breathing Life Into An Emaciated Landscape

At its core, The Lazyframe is a skeleton, an architectural marvel simplified to its most essential form. The frame from which everything hangs.

Consider its prime functionality—keeping your crops suspended, safe from the invasive reach of ground-borne pests. A revelation that could alone revolutionize the agricultural sector. But then, ponder upon its serendipitous resilience against the devastating power of floods. Elevating crops off the ground doesn't just deter pests; it also places them beyond the ravages of rising waters—a dual advantage conceived almost by happy accident, yet one with far-reaching implications.

Yet, the true genius of The Lazyframe lies in its capacity for adaptation, for growth, for safeguarding life against the most formidable of Earth's temper tantrums—storms and fires.

Imagine the Lazyframe not just as a life-support system, but as a housing unit for something far more ambitious: protective screens, like gargantuan, life-preserving roller blinds, that can be deployed at a moment's notice. Think of them as shields in a knight's armor, ready to fend off the enemy's arrows whether they come as winds, rains, or flames.

The Lazyframe is more than a structure; it's an ecosystem, a sanctuary. It aligns seamlessly with Lazyscrog's mission of simple efficiency, showing us that sometimes, the most straightforward ideas are the ones with the power to change the world.

And so, as we stand at the cusp of a future fraught with uncertainty, The Lazyframe extends an open invitation to us all: to take what we've learned from the  past, apply it with the technology of the present, and build a safer, more secure future for the next generation of life on Earth.

This is not just an A-frame. This is The Lazyframe.

Yay, I'm actually quite good at this shit. :D

Edited by Spockydog

Wow. Some people have amazing family histories. I watched an episode of Henry Louis Gates’ show, Finding Your Roots, which looked at Jeff Daniel’s’ ancestors. His 8th grandfather was involved in the Salem Witchcraft trials, and his testimony about two people contributed to their being hanged as witches. (And another great-grandfather fought at Gettysburg, was captured and died in a prison camp). In the same show they looked at Clair Danes, and they must have put the two of them in the same show because her 9th grandmother was an elderly woman who was accused of witchcraft and was one of the 11 people hanged. Her great-grandfather died in France during WW 1. Danes also found out that there was a bench dedicated to her ancestor that had been unveiled by Elie Wiesel. 

On 9/4/2023 at 5:22 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And now to something completely different...

Anybody seen or heard anything from Jace?

I know, we all talk about DMC, who is at least logging in now and then without posting, but jace is also MIA.

Jace is probably in jail still (not forum jail, but actual jail).

DMC got banned, but he's doing well otherwise. Or at least as much as you can  being a liberal poli sci professor in FL. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wait. In jail for real? 

I believe so based on what she last told me. I'll leave it at that.

And DMC - temporary or permanent??

Perm, but people can come back from the dead. 

And ... AND ... AND(!!!)  even so-called "safe" pesticides are responsible for CCD Colony Collapse Disorder, where whole communities of bees die off.  The pesticide industry (at least in the USA) has spent big $$$ to lobby against this idea and laws written to tighten down on them.  

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but big AG companies fight regulations tooth and nail due to the very fact you mentioned - the major loss of crops due to insects, and probably disease too.  

Edited by Tears of Lys
This is directed at Spockydog. Walked away for a few hours and the convo took a turn!

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jace is probably in jail still (not forum jail, but actual jail).

WTH? I think you already gave away more info you should've.

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

DMC got banned, but he's doing well otherwise. Or at least as much as you can  being a liberal poli sci professor in FL. 

What for? I know he would not really moderate his language, esp. when he was annoyed, but simply telling someone that their expressed views are stupid in a rather rude manner = permanent ban?  Anyway, I tried to warn him about Florida not being a good place to be.

29 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

What for? I know he would not really moderate his language, esp. when he was annoyed, but simply telling someone that their expressed views are stupid in a rather rude manner = permanent ban?  Anyway, I tried to warn him about Florida not being a good place to be.

My last 2 warning points were received on 22nd and 23rd of September 2020 and 2021, from the same mod. I can only imagine said mod has a shitty anniversary of some description around that time of year, I have since have made an effort to be more polite for those few days.  Know your audience.

Edited by BigFatCoward

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

WTH? I think you already gave away more info you should've.

Yeah... I'm going to follow that up with a what the fuck, Ty.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Though do say hello to him for me the next time you talk.

2 hours ago, JGP said:

Yeah... I'm going to follow that up with a what the fuck, Ty.

She'd laugh about it. 

Though do say hello to him for me the next time you talk.

I gave him a collective hello. Maybe sometime down the road he can apologize and we'll see what happens. But that's the last I'll say about it for now.