Ukraine: Breakthroughs… the vast majority of us hope…

To continue with the thread derail, I personally am finding the posts of our friend distinctly interesting. They do seem to be giving a real insight into what Russian propaganda wants people to think, and what many Russians presumably do think. There is a lot to pick out of them e.g.:

• Russia's unique culture entitles it to act like a 19th century expansionist power.
  • It is faced by existential enemies who are simultaneously decadent (with a special emphasis on them tolerating LGBT people) and a deadly threat.
  • Any setback in Russia's escalating series of military adventures will lead to a Gotterdammerung that will destroy Russia forever.
  • Whatever the Ukrainians might think, they are not a separate people and have zero right to not be ruled from Moscow.
  • In any case, most Ukrainians want Russian rule, apart from a small minority who have been brainwashed.
  • The deaths of cannon fodder Russian conscripts are to be ignored, the deaths of soldiers fighting Russia are solely the fault of those resisting Russia or the shadowy powers behind them.
  • Russian armies and occupying forces do not commit atrocities. Any apparent exceptions are caused by enemy combatants hiding amongst civilians, or some equally good justification.

Obviously, there is a fair amount from the fascist playbook in the above.

Perhaps more interestingly though, I am picking up echoes of the 5 stages of grief. Mostly denial and anger, but also touches of depression. The grief presumably relating to an image of Russia as a world bestriding Great Power having been destroyed.

18 minutes ago, A wilding said:

To continue with the thread derail, I personally am finding the posts of our friend distinctly interesting. They do seem to be giving a real insight into what Russian propaganda wants people to think, and what many Russians presumably do think. There is a lot to pick out of them e.g.:

• Russia's unique culture entitles it to act like a 19th century expansionist power.
  • It is faced by existential enemies who are simultaneously decadent (with a special emphasis on them tolerating LGBT people) and a deadly threat.
  • Any setback in Russia's escalating series of military adventures will lead to a Gotterdammerung that will destroy Russia forever.
  • Whatever the Ukrainians might think, they are not a separate people and have zero right to not be ruled from Moscow.
  • In any case, most Ukrainians want Russian rule, apart from a small minority who have been brainwashed.
  • The deaths of cannon fodder Russian conscripts are to be ignored, the deaths of soldiers fighting Russia are solely the fault of those resisting Russia or the shadowy powers behind them.
  • Russian armies and occupying forces do not commit atrocities. Any apparent exceptions are caused by enemy combatants hiding amongst civilians, or some equally good justification.

Perhaps more interestingly though, I am picking up echoes of the 5 stages of grief. Mostly denial and anger, but also touches of depression. The grief presumably relating to an image of Russia as a world bestriding Great Power having been destroyed.

That does seem to be the Russian propagandist position.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

17 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Besides the fact no one ever said any of this, it’s interesting you need to create straw men to debate since the truth is just too obvious. 

I find western propaganda to be a very interesting beast: it persuades polite liberals to hand wave ethnic cleansing as “forced assimilation” and dignify human wave tactics using kidnapped civilians as ‘sappers’. 

Oh yeah, and genocidal fascism has been repackaged as anti-imperial sentiment. 

Very Orwellian.

2 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Besides the fact no one ever said any of this, it’s interesting you need to create straw men to debate since the truth is just too obvious. 

I find western propaganda to be a very interesting beast: it persuades polite liberals to hand wave ethnic cleansing as “forced assimilation” and dignify human wave tactics using kidnapped civilians as ‘sappers’. 

Very Orwellian.

What “ethnic cleansings”?Document your allegations.  Remember RT News doesn’t count.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I normally wouldn't say anything, coz I don't love stiffling discussion and in any case I'm not a mod, but we've been going round in circles with this dude for weeks now and no-one's achieved anything. It just makes me not want to look in to the topic. 

Anyway cheers chaps.

Edited by polishgenius

I do think insight into the mindset of people like this is valuable. It explains a lot. I've had some conversations with Russian nationalists in recent months that repeated the same exact talking points, but the individuals were older, I'd say all mid forties and up. Most Russian youth ive met in Central Europe have been reluctant to discuss the topic, mostly because they didnt want to draw attention to themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

I do think insight into the mindset of people like this is valuable. It explains a lot. I've had some conversations with Russian nationalists in recent months that repeated the same exact talking points, but the individuals were older, I'd say all mid forties and up. Most Russian youth ive met in Central Europe have been reluctant to discuss the topic, mostly because they didnt want to draw attention to themselves. 

That is fair.  But at this point all Butter is doing is repeating what we’ve already learned.

21 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Live by the quack, die by the quack.

…..You are correct. I should quack at anyone and anything when I deem it necessary. I apologize for losing faith. 

I hereby declare my promise null and void.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

2 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

Very Orwellian.

Uh...no.

In prior posts you have stated all of the points listed with only slight variations at best. If need be, this can be verified by quoting YOUR prior posts.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I normally wouldn't say anything, coz I don't love stiffling discussion and in any case I'm not a mod, but we've been going round in circles with this dude for weeks now and no-one's achieved anything. It just makes me not want to look in to the topic. 

Anyway cheers chaps.

Issue for me is more likg the clogging of the threads. I am too lazy to scroll through 5 pages of nonsense to find the interesting posts buried somewhere within them.