Ukraine: Breakthroughs… the vast majority of us hope…

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Less-reported, but one of the LPR's headquarters in Luhansk Oblast was hit and destroyed yesterday, apparently by a bunker-busting missile. The facility was located in an old mineshaft to protect it from attack. Possibly the first use of a bunker-buster by Ukraine in this war.

The damage to the Kerch Bridge seems to have been sufficient to put one roadway out of action but not destroy or collapse the bridge altogether. It would appear a more complex job to fix this time, with one roadway slanting to one side and falling into the sea.

Wonder if they maybe don’t wajt to destroy it too soon, because if the bridge is gone and land-bridge cut, the Russian troops and civilians in Crimea are stuck. Taking the railway part of the bridge out is probably a good idea.

There's still the coastal highway out through the land bridge. The rail link is also still intact for now.

Another bad weekend for Russia in the artillery duels, 11 systems reported destroyed.

Edited by Werthead

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Ukrainian attack on Crimea thwarted as Kerch Bridge heroically intercepts and destroys all enemy munitions!

(the attack doesnt seem to be as serious as the pic depicts)

Clearly photoshopped and clearly meant to be recognized as photoshopped. But another hit on the bridge that has caused some amount of damage does not inspire confidence in Russia being able to protect it's important infrastructure assets for prosecuting the war and defending the territory it currently occupies.

It's some kind of mental gymnastics to be say that while one might be prepared to admit Russia should not have invaded the reason to support Russia pushing on for the win, at whatever cost to both sides is because Russia would be destroyed as a nation if it called it a day and went home. I would hope that the world would have learned from the failed victor's policies of WWI and the much more successful victor's policies of WWII to at least attempt to make Russia comes out of this a better global citizen not a worse one. Punish the warmonger few, not 145 million people.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

It would appear a more complex job to fix this time, with one roadway slanting to one side and falling into the sea.

Wert is the only person I can find in all my research from numerous sources, the only person even if including trolls on twitter, the ONLY person who suggests the damage is in any way more significant than last time. 

There's a running theme here. 

35 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Punish the warmonger few, not 145 million people.

Would be a more powerful statement if anyone responsible for the reprehensible invasion of Iraq had been punished. Yet another reason, in an endless litany, why that was such a massive crime. 

52 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Wert is the only person I can find in all my research from numerous sources, the only person even if including trolls on twitter, the ONLY person who suggests the damage is in any way more significant than last time. 

There's a running theme here. 

I'm curious what you're intent was in posting here. If anything, you've steeled resolve for Ukraine defending itself against Russia with a litany of half-truths, questionable history, and fairly absurd claims. Is that what you what you intended? If not, why do you continue in such a manner?

1 hour ago, Week said:

Bridge looks fine to me. The missing spans were planned so that they could test out new hovercars.

The image is a bit confusing but I don't think there are actual "missing" spans, although I thought there was initially. The span has collapsed on one side and is hanging almost sideways, you can see the barrier rail still stretching across where it connects.

Pretty hard to say that's not more damage than the last explosion on it.

5 hours ago, Week said:

Bridge looks fine to me. The missing spans were planned so that they could test out new hovercars.

That damage will buff out anyway. Coat of paint and good as new!

Russia has been launching attacks in the Lyman and Kupiansk sectors for months now. The Ukrainians have heavy defences there, and have been building them up since they decided against a push to retake the twin cities. Interesting to see how that unfolds: Ukraine has acknowledged an attack but not the scale of it.

The extent of the damage to the bridge according to the Kremlin: one structure of the vehicle part is destroyed and cannot be repaired. One railway track is slightly damaged. Two way traffic is to be opened on 15 September on one part of the bridge, the other in November. One of the part of the bridge's structure in Kerch direction has been destroyed completely, it will have to be taken off. Bridge out of commission for two months, four months until full operation is restored (assuming no further damage or attacks).

Oleg Khorzhan, a Communist leader and pro-Russian politician in Transnistria, was found stabbed to death yesterday.

Girkin's latest gloomy rant is about how Turkey might provoke a confrontation with Russia in the Black Sea and use that as an excuse to cut off, if not outright destroy, Russian forces in Syria and Armenia. Erdogan might be checked by Iran, but Girkin is pessimistic on Iran sticking their necks out that much for Russia. As usual, take with salt.

A group of Ichkerian fighters (pro-Ukrainian Chechens) ambushed and destroyed a Russian transport vehicle on Russian territory near Serada, close to the border with Ukraine.

Edited by Werthead

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why?  If we are going to be respectful of Nation’s preferred nomenclature “Kyiv”… why be inconsistent?  Isn’t that rather rude?

I don't think so. Kyiv is a deliberate attempt to break with a colonial past and the new spelling should be followed for that reason There are some other exceptions, like we don't really use the German names for some places but that's also not consistent. We say Ljubljana instead of Laibach. But not Gdansk - and of course wouldn't translate the band names either.:D

But why should we exactly follow the local naming when there is a perfectly good transcription of the name or even a traditional non-controversal name in your own language?

I'm not even sure, that me as a German writing texts in my own language should write Kyiv. Why on earth should I follow some English transcription rules? It's probably Kyjiw but I never see that version anywhere.

3 minutes ago, kiko said:

I don't think so. Kyiv is a deliberate attempt to break with a colonial past and the new spelling should be followed for that reason There are some other exceptions, like we don't really use the German names for some places but that's also not consistent. We say Ljubljana instead of Laibach. But not Gdansk - and of course wouldn't translate the band names either.:D

But why should we exactly follow the local naming when there is a perfectly good transcription of the name or even a traditional non-controversal name in your own language?

I'm not even sure, that me as a German writing texts in my own language should write Kyiv. Why on earth should I follow some English transcription rules? It's probably Kyjiw but I never see that version anywhere.

I prefer Munchen to Munich and Rheinland Plafz to Rheinland Paletinate.