X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

‘X’ removed after being installed atop company headquarters following Twitter’s rebrand

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/tech/x-sign-twitter-elon-musk/index.html

Officials from the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection on Monday morning observed that the new “X” on top of the building formerly known as Twitter’s headquarters was being dismantled, according to Patrick Hannan, the department’s spokesman.

The news comes after the company was issued a notice of violation (NOV) Friday for work without a permit for the new sign, which flashes at night, that adorns the building.

“Over the weekend, the Department of Building Inspection and City Planning received 24 complaints about the unpermitted structure, including concerns about its structural safety and illumination. This morning, building inspectors observed the structure being dismantled. A building permit is required to remove the structure but, due to safety concerns, the permit can be secured after the structure is taken down,” Hannan said in an email to CNN.

“The property owner will be assessed fees for the unpermitted installation of the illuminated structure. The fees will be for building permits for the installation and removal of the structure, and to cover the cost of the Department of Building Inspection and the Planning Department’s investigation,” he added.

Musk's X Delays Ad Revenue Sharing Payout, Says No Revenue Share For Non-X Premium Users

Elon Musk's Twitter, now rebranded as "X," says that it won't be able to pay people who have signed up for ads revenue sharing.

In a tweet on Saturday, the X support team said that, because the company's ads revenue sharing program is so popular, it needs "more time to review everything for the next payout" and aims to get all eligible accounts paid as quickly as possible.

https://uk.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/musks-x-delays-ad-revenue-sharing-payout-says-no-revenue-share-for-nonx-premium-users-3112501

But he will pay legal bills of those who get in trouble with their employers for their social media postings.

X owner Elon Musk is now offering to cover the legal bills of anyone “unfairly treated” by their employers due to their activity on the social media platform. He made the bizarre proposal in a late-night Saturday post on the platform previously known as Twitter, offering to back those in hot water due to their “posting or liking something.” “No limit,” he said. “Please let us know.” Strangely, his offer comes shortly after the company announced on Friday that they wouldn’t be able to make promised revenue-sharing payments to Blue subscribers on time.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Got to ask the legal eagles, is that binding language? No limit seems like a dangerous game.

Only if (depending on the State) someone materially changes their position in “reasonable” reliance on this representation from Musk.  Even then there is… a lot… of wiggle room in a general promise not made to a specific individual. 

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Only if (depending on the State) someone materially changes their position in “reasonable” reliance on this representation from Musk.  Even then there is… a lot… of wiggle room in a general promise not made to a specific individual. 

He’s argued in court that people would be unreasonable to take what he says on Twitter as reasonable 

On 8/6/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's the estoppel argument.  Couldn't you also argue this is a Carbolic Smoke Ball type unilateral promise? 

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Elon is a nazi

He's not, he just follows a lot of them, jokes around with them on his platform, and signal-boosts them all the time.  Doesn't make him a nazi.  Next thing you know we'll be saying people who hang out with nazis and do normal stuff like go to meetings and out to eat with nazis are nazis.  

On a somewhat tangential note, this article on how wrecked Tesla vehicles are living a second life in Ukraine raises some good points.

Particularly, it seems like Tesla has not thought through the process of ownership transfer in a connected world.

Crashed Teslas Are Ending Up In Ukraine And Former Owners Are Tracking Them - The Autopian 

On 8/7/2023 at 5:35 PM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Uh, I'm sure this is great news for Yaccarino
https://mastodon.sdf.org/@[email protected]/110850428025836397

"CEO is fake title" is just great. Super awesome. 

She's having a great week: Sounds like yesterday's interview was a disaster.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/media/linda-yaccarino-elon-musk-reliable-sources/index.html

I lean heavily left, truly wish nothing but the worst fate for Musk, and generally agree with every sentiment in that opinion piece. But that shit felt like the worst of the New York Post or Fox News and was thinly labelled as "analysis". I feel like I have to find some mouthwash after reading it. Ugh. I suppose CNN is a flashy antithesis to Fox News now and maybe that's for the best, but man I am very happy that Reuters' US feed is my bookmark these days and not CNN.

On topic: Wow she sounds as contemptible as Musk himself. Eat the rich.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:24 PM, Tywin et al. said:

She's having a great week: Sounds like yesterday's interview was a disaster.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/media/linda-yaccarino-elon-musk-reliable-sources/index.html

It should be remembered musk explicitly said said the person who’d become Twitter’s ceo would be a fool.

35 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Has Elon Musk just flat-out lost his shit over the past few years, or was he always like this?

Good money would be on always. 

---

Evidenced elsewhere [can't link] Musk on Twitter: 'If Zuck my [tongue emoji] really wants a lesson on why there are weight categories in fighting so badly, I could just head over to his house next week and teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.'

So he's also turning in an acclaimed performance as a comedian, one thing I did not see coming. 

Edited by JGP

I gotta admit, he was never on my radar (beyond just knowing he owned? Tesla and got involved in space travel, also crazy-rich) so it wasn't until he got off the chart wacky that I zeroed in on him.  

Just purely out of curiosity, I (of course) Googled him.  Yes, he did come from a wealthy, land-owning family, something about emeralds too, but what i read was that his father was anti-Apartheid, as were the children.  Elon beat it out of S. Africa to Canada to avoid having to fight to support it.  probably for other reasons too.

He sounds like he's off the wire, but until recently was he really a Nazi?  That sounds a bit hyperbolic.  Has he actually been responsible for killing over 6 million people?