X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

Elon Musk admits X ‘may fail’ after glitch deletes Twitter photos
Platform’s users voice concern as it removes pictures and links on posts made before December 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/21/elon-musk-x-glitch-deletes-twitter-photos-pictures-links

... Musk said: “The sad truth is that there are no great ‘social networks’ right now.”

He added: “We may fail, as so many have predicted, but we will try our best to make there be at least one.”

Over the weekend, a glitch on the platform meant that the site removed pictures and links on posts made before December 2014. The posts showed broken links instead of the pictures and videos that were previously there. ....

This, while he was in a slap fest with actor James Wood re blockage.  :lol:

Edited by Zorral

I can't get into tweetdeck any more- it asks me to sign up for Premium.  So that's my main useful interface gone, along with many of the people I follow who have already gone, so this feels like the last stages of the end for me.  Plus Elon Musk (well, a bot I imagine) followed me, so I feel very creeped out.  I have a Mastodon account just in case (but not posted yet), Threads doesn't work in the EU, and I haven't got a Bluesky invite yet.  So I'm just waiting to see if anything as good as (old) Twitter will emerge from the wreckage.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:34 AM, Sophelia said:

I can't get into tweetdeck any more- it asks me to sign up for Premium.  So that's my main useful interface gone, along with many of the people I follow who have already gone, so this feels like the last stages of the end for me.  Plus Elon Musk (well, a bot I imagine) followed me, so I feel very creeped out.  I have a Mastodon account just in case (but not posted yet), Threads doesn't work in the EU, and I haven't got a Bluesky invite yet.  So I'm just waiting to see if anything as good as (old) Twitter will emerge from the wreckage.

I'm on Mastadon, and it's not like twitter, which was so easy to use.  There is a bit of learning curve, but it gets easier and more understandable every day.  I'm also on post but I am liking Mastadon better than post.  

On 8/19/2023 at 10:07 AM, Zorral said:

As thousands of Canadians fled raging wildfires in the Northwest Territories on Friday, the country’s top leaders called on Meta to reverse its ban preventing users in Canada from sharing news articles on its social networks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/08/18/meta-news-ban-canada-wildfires/

Sorry, but Canadian politicians are morons on this issue. Canadians still have access to the news sites.

1 minute ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Sorry, but Canadian politicians are morons on this issue. Canadians still have access to the news sites.

Is google search blocking news already in Canada?

I guess that would be a far bigger problem because that is the gateway to news to a lot of people.

Just now, Luzifer's right hand said:

I guess that would be a far bigger problem because that is the gateway to news to a lot of people.

As far as I know, Google is not blocking anything, only Meta.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

U.S. Justice Department sues SpaceX over hiring practices

https://www.rawstory.com/us-justice-dept-sues-spacex-over-hiring-practices/

I can see how someone with decision-making power who possesses a vague idea of US export controls might think that hiring only US citizens will help them with compliance.  A lot of middle managers who come out of defense contracting companies think that the reason they only have US citizens at the defense contractors is because of export controls.

But that is why you hire subject matter experts in both the legal and IT fields.  The lawyers keep you from this exact kind of HR trap, and the IT staff build a maintain an appropriate set of data asset handling processes.  Musk's companies seem to be way too light on the administrative side, and as a result shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly.

What is ITAR Compliance? (Regulations, Fines, & More) (digitalguardian.com)

20 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Why use Facebook for news when the CBC has a perfectly good site?

I really think Elon Musk needs his head examined.  And I'm speaking seriously here!  His decisions over the past several years have been so whack that there could be something medically wrong with the guy.  He had some pretty good ideas early on, but since then, he almost seems determined to scuttle everything he touches.

31 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I really think Elon Musk needs his head examined.  And I'm speaking seriously here!  His decisions over the past several years have been so whack that there could be something medically wrong with the guy.  He had some pretty good ideas early on, but since then, he almost seems determined to scuttle everything he touches.

Prolonged use of central nervous system stimulants has damaging effects on personality, judgement, and impulse control. From an article in Nature:

Disability in drug-dependent individuals is marked by impairments in cognitive function and concomitant neural biomarkers. Abnormalities in the orbitofrontal cortex and loss of prefrontal gray matter (GM) commonly accompany prolonged drug abuse,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 along with increases in impulsivity and poor inhibitory control.7, 8 These deficits are typically viewed as the consequence of protracted stimulant use

Alternating fistfuls of Adderall with weed and daily LSD 'microdosing' ... "Found dead on his toilet like Elvis" seems a likely outcome.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

At which point the conspiracy theorists heads all fucking explode…

Almost disturbing how amusing that would be given the percentage of the human race we're talking here.

I mean, if you got a problem with facts there's no might be. *You're a conspiracy theorist at what gives for a heart, visible to all who can stand to see it. No matter how respectably *you try to dress it.

*both are general, not personal

• 2 weeks later...

A hacking group called Anonymous Sudan took X, formerly known as Twitter, offline in more than a dozen countries on Tuesday morning in an attempt to pressurise Elon Musk into launching his Starlink service in their country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66668053

.... One member of the group, who calls himself Crush, told the BBC that Tuesday's attack flooded X's servers with huge amounts of traffic to take it offline - the same blunt and relatively unsophisticated hacking techniques for which the gang is known.

The outage-tracking site Downdetector said nearly 20,000 outage reports were logged by users in the US and the UK, with a far higher number of people likely to have been affected.

Another hacking group member - Hofa - said the so-called DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack was aimed at raising awareness about the civil war in Sudan which is "making the internet very bad and it goes down quite often for us".

X has not publicly acknowledged the disruption caused, and Mr Musk has not responded to questions to launch his satellite internet service in Sudan. ....

Wow a free speech absolutist who screech’s about free speech when it comes to platforming views he likes(fascist shit), and then uses whatever legal and/or monetary ability they have to silence their critics(people who don’t like fascist shit). 

Now that this stunning hypocrisy is shown there will be direct consequences./s

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wow a free speech absolutist who screech’s about free speech when it comes to platforming views he likes(fascist shit), and then uses whatever legal and/or monetary ability they have to silence their critics(people who don’t like fascist shit). 

Now that this stunning hypocrisy is shown there will be direct consequences./s

Legit said that, after replatforming racists lol