R.I.P. Thread 3: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Nictarion

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Maybe because for the most part, Europe doesn't have this group of sports?

We here, see Europeans and their fetish with Soccer/Football in much the the same way.

Its not the sports thats weird, its the connection people have to their colleges. Other than Oxford and Cambridge I doubt anyone in the UK gives their university a backwards glance when they leave. 

Europeans & South and Central Americans, Africans, Asians etc. 

Article on Norman Lear final moments

Dr. Jon LaPook, son-in-law of Lear and CBS News chief meledical correspondent, said in Lear's final moments, the family gathered around his bed and celebrated Lear's life through music, singing songs from his favorite show, "Les Misérables," and themes from his own TV shows.

It was during the rendition of "Movin' On Up," the theme song from "The Jeffersons," that LaPook — who was also Lear's doctor — felt the full weight of the moment.

Left on "Movin' On Up.", wonderful end to a wonderful man.

Thank you Mr. Lear. Will miss you Norman.:crying:

Ryan O'Neal has passed away at the age of 82, due to cancer. By all accounts not a particularly good man, certainly not a good father (at least to Tatum O'Neal, his daughter and co-star in Paper Moon -- he was infamously jealous that she got an Academy Award for the film while he wasn't even nominated), but he had the great good fortune to make a couple of great films with great directors -- the aforementioned-Paper Moon with the late Peter Bogdanovich (O'Neal was just a month short of having outlived Bogdanovich by two years), Barry Lyndon with the great Stanley Kubrick -- and of course he broke out with Love Story.  

Edited by Ran

On 12/8/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ran said:

Ryan O'Neal has passed away at the age of 82, due to cancer. By all accounts not a particularly good man, certainly not a good father (at least to Tatum O'Neal, his daughter and co-star in Paper Moon -- he was infamously jealous that she got an Academy Award for the film while he wasn't even nominated), but he had the great good fortune to make a couple of great films with great directors -- the aforementioned-Paper Moon with the late Peter Bogdanovich (O'Neal was just a month short of having outlived Bogdanovich by two years), Barry Lyndon with the great Stanley Kubrick -- and of course he broke out with Love Story.  

O'Neal's fame was a big influence on the use of Ryan as a boy's name. Though Ryan had been rising in use in the USA before he was famous, it boomed in the USA after he first became known on television's Peyton Place and then skyrocketed after Love Story.  Love Story also introduced Ryan as a boy's name in the UK, where before then it had been very rare. Many of the other famous Ryans today, such as Seacrest, Reynolds, and Gosling, were born after Love Story and so may partially owe their names to O'Neal.

This is hard :bawl:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/andr-braugher-dies-star-homicide-012500997.html

André Braugher has died. The two-time Emmy-winning star of series including Homicide: Life on the Street, Men of a Certain Age and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was 61. B...

An incredible actor in many of my favorite TV and movies.

25 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

This is hard :bawl:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/andr-braugher-dies-star-homicide-012500997.html

André Braugher has died. The two-time Emmy-winning star of series including Homicide: Life on the Street, Men of a Certain Age and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was 61. B...

An incredible actor in many of my favorite TV and movies.

Ok, this one really fucking hurts. Vale Braugher, a powerhouse tower of talent. 

Ouch.   I remember being in middle school and loving homicide: life on the street, especially his character, Pembleton and how intense/brilliant he was in the interrogation box.  My young mind was blown by the depth of his stroke storyline and how much it changed the character - I remember just feeling like “you’re not allowed to do this on TV, he’s the good guy and this isn’t supposed to happen, why can’t he get better and go back to the way it was before”.  I legit mourned what happened to him, even when I was too young to understand how much it reflected the reality of debilitating illness. Such a great talent.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Actor Lee Sun-kyun from Parasite has died. Reports say he left a suicide note a few days earlier and they had been looking for him. Apparent drug history as well.

It's feels very much like he was hounded to death by police and media. Read this report. Stuff like this stands out:

Lee has gone through three rounds of police questioning on suspicions of using marijuana and other illegal drugs at the home of a hostess working at a high-end bar in Seoul's Gangnam district on multiple occasions since early this year, including last Saturday, when the questioning lasted for 19 hours.

South Korea, like some other Asian countries, tends to try to make examples of high-profile but low-influence people who fall afoul of the law. Lee Sun-kyun became the latest victim of this approach to social policing. RIP.

I'm not a fan of drugs or their legalization, but this repeated bringing him in and leaking stuff to the press and just harassing him over it is just wrong. Charge him and take it to trial, or let it go, rather than treating celebrities like piñatas you can beat on to instill moral virtue in society.

Edited by Ran

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Comedian Tom Smothers, who was one of the most controversial entertainers on TV back in my day, has died of cancer at age 86.

RIP, Yo-Yo Man. :( Was introduced to the Smothers Brothers from Nick at Nite reruns of their Smothers Brothers Show when I was a kid, and later their appearances on Carson and other variety shows. 

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

I guess someone liked Dickie the best since he is still around.

I loved the show as a kid. Tommy always looked good in that leather jacket.

Edited by maarsen

Tom Wilkinson has passed, far too young, IMO, at 75 years of age: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/30/full-monty-actor-tom-wilkinson-dies-aged-75

I hate that the Guardian focuses its headline on The Full Monty. His work in Michael Clayton and especially the wrenching In the Bedroom were Oscar-worthy, and his were among the most memorable performances in ensembles such as Shakespeare in Love and John Adams.

Edited by Ran

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Tom Wilkinson has passed, far too young, IMO, at 75 years of age: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/30/full-monty-actor-tom-wilkinson-dies-aged-75

I hate that the Guardian focuses its headline on The Full Monty. His work in Michael Clayton and especially the wrenching In the Bedroom were Oscar-worthy, and his were among the most memorable performances in ensembles such as Shakespeare in Love and John Adams.

Didn't recognize the name but man he was in a lot of movies I like.

Bryan Ansell has passed away. He was the founder of Citadel Miniatures, a half-subsidiary of Games Workshop, in 1976, and is often credited with coming up with the idea of taking their vast array of miniatures (created unofficially for games like Dungeons & Dragons and RuneQuest) and building a brand-new wargame around them. That game became Warhammer in 1983. In 1985 he orchestrated a management buy-out of Games Workshop and merged it and Citadel into one company. The following year he directed the team to do the same thing with all their existing science fiction figures to create a new game around them (to bolster the line he came up with the idea of pulling axes and bows off existing Orc figures and replacing them with guns: "Space Orks!"), resulting in Warhammer 40,000.

He started his career by hand-crafting a Gondorian archer out of spare materials he had lying around at the age of 11. He later built an entire army of orcs by "adjusting" an array of Airfix Robin Hood figures.