R.I.P. Thread 3: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Nictarion

59 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Bryan Ansell has passed away. He was the founder of Citadel Miniatures, a half-subsidiary of Games Workshop, in 1976, and is often credited with coming up with the idea of taking their vast array of miniatures (created unofficially for games like Dungeons & Dragons and RuneQuest) and building a brand-new wargame around them. That game became Warhammer in 1983. In 1985 he orchestrated a management buy-out of Games Workshop and merged it and Citadel into one company. The following year he directed the team to do the same thing with all their existing science fiction figures to create a new game around them (to bolster the line he came up with the idea of pulling axes and bows off existing Orc figures and replacing them with guns: "Space Orks!"), resulting in Warhammer 40,000.

He started his career by hand-crafting a Gondorian archer out of spare materials he had lying around at the age of 11. He later built an entire army of orcs by "adjusting" an array of Airfix Robin Hood figures.

And so young. RIP. Just as GW are about to launch their Old World set for Warhammer Fantasy.

British actress Glynis Johns has died at age 100.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/04/entertainment/glynis-johns-dead/index.html

All the news reports are first emphasizing her role as Mrs. Banks in Disney's Mary Poppins, and her helping to popularize the song "Send in the Clowns." However, the film that originally made her a star in the UK, 1948's fantasy film Miranda, where she played a mermaid, brought Miranda back as a baby name in the USA when it was shown on American TV in the 1950s. So her original image was as a beautiful sex symbol, not the middle-aged suffragist of Poppins:

https://omaha.com/lifestyles/admired-miranda-popularity-flows-with-the-tides/article_aa30a606-f7d3-11ec-8114-3bcdbe971155.html

In sporting (footballing) news.

German legend Franz Beckenbauer has died yesterday at the age of 78.

He's won the World Cup as a player (1974) and manager (1990). He also won the Euros as a player, and pretty much every medal as player with Bayern in the 1970s.

His final years were less glorious, as he was pretty much in the middle of the corruption scandal surrounding Germany's succesful bid to host the World Cup in 2006.

Small true story for the boarders.

In the 1970s he and his girlfriend visited her father in hospital, who was sharing his room with comatose patient they did chat a bit. The nursing staff were worried about the guy in coma. During his visit the comatose guy woke up, exclaiming: FUCK ME! It's Beckenbauer!

Personally, I think that's one boss story.

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." 

RIP, legend.

Edited by Ran

Tracy Tormé has passed away at 64. Besides his last name having been made famous by his father, singer Mel Tormé, he himself went on to have a career as a screenwriter and producer in Hollywood, with a focus on science fiction. He won a Peabody for his TNG episode, "The Big Goodbye", which Variety notes is something that no Star Trek iteration has achieved since. He also co-created Sliders, which led to speculation back in the day that he took "inspiration" from a pilot called Doorways by one George R.R. Martin, speculation that gained or lost currency (depending on how you look at it) when it was noted that Tormé's agent had asked about any writing positions opening on the prospective show. I think in the years since, George still has the view (see the end of his remarks here) that someone in Hollywood "borrowed" the key concept of his show.

Looking at his IMDB, it seems Tormé was essentially retired from Hollywood for the last 15 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Graham, who appeared in a few Star Trek shows, has died at 73. https://tvline.com/news/gary-graham-dead-star-trek-actor-dies-obituary-1235138043/ RIP

And I only found out now, Adan Canto passed away from cancer a few weeks ago. He was only 42. He appeared in several TV shows in the last several years. I watched him in Designated Survivor. RIP

10 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Just saw that Carl Weathers has passed away at age 76.

Obviously not one of his career highlights, but his run on Arrested Development really made me like him for his willingness/ability to have a sense of humor about himself.

Rocky is my favorite movie of all time. The entire franchise means very much to me and Weathers was so great in it.

This hurts! :crying:

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Obviously not one of his career highlights, but his run on Arrested Development really made me like him for his willingness/ability to have a sense of humor about himself.

Weathers showed he could do comedy in Happy Gilmore but Arrested Development showed he was amazing at it! Loved him in that series!

I'll make some stew tonight in his honor. 

RIP Carl

EDIT:  Also, I was watching Rocky highlights this week (as one does), and I noticed something I'd never seen before.  In the race in Rocky 3, it is totally obvious that Apollo is letting Rocky win (you can see this scene around 3:50 in the video Ran posted).  I have to assume that this was a conscious choice by Weathers to look so relaxed in this race.  I like to assume that Apollo knew he was faster than Rocky, and was just trying to boost Rocky's confidence prior to the big fight.  What a good friend. 

EDIT2:  If we're going really deep, Apollo could also be doing it to have a truth bomb to drop on Rocky in their rematch at the end of Rocky 3.  Apollo's not afraid to play the mental game.  Genius acting by Weathers. 

Edited by Maithanet

The doctor on set in Rocky 4 literally thought he was dying because of the way he was spasming. What a fucking legend. And first ballot mustache Hall of Fame. 

Thanks for the memories, we didn't deserve you Carl!

Quite the career, but will always be remebered as the only man who had homoeroric encounters with the 2 behemoths of 80s action films (beach race and arm wrestle). 

Edited by BigFatCoward