Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

I have been reading Heroes Die by Matt Stover for the first time, so that has soaked up most of the spare time I have left from work.

I did manage to shanghai a friend into watching Mean Girls with me. His girlfriend and I basically had to force him to give it a chance, but he ended up loving it. It's incredible how funny that movie is and still remains even though it's almost twenty years old... 

I could probably write several paragraphs praising all the actors (it's an incredibly stacked cast) and how great it is to see a film that really places its female cast members front and centre, but I guess that has been done already many, many times before by others here (including me).

Watching it did contrast nicely with Brick a while back. I think we came to the conclusion then that Brick is a far better film noir than a high-school film, because it never seems to resemble a real high-school experience in any way, shape or form.

Mean Girls on the other hand, well, it's a marvellous comedy. One of the best ever, but it is also a great high-school film. A lot of the high-school high jinks the characters pull in this film are instantly recognizable, although of course dialled up to eleven. I think that contributes a great deal to its status as a classic.

Edited by Veltigar

I have nearly finished watching Home Improvement. Most episodes aged ok but I skipped a handful. Still entertaining enough.

The episode in which one of the sons gets cought with pot is just hilarious when you consider the history of Tim Allen. They even made Jill the parent that had smoked pot in the past not Tim. 

I watched it one the side most of time though. It's no FraiserSeinfeld or even Friends but entertaining enough.  

I tried Married... with Children but I find it unwatchable and unfunny nowadays.

Hopefully I can find another decent old show because when they work for me I enjoy them a lot even if you got to ignore stuff like body shaming which is something only Golden Girls portrayed as something negative IIRC. It was just that mainstream I guess.

I tried Tim Allens more recent show Last Man Standing and did not work for me at all but it is a sitcom aimed at modern conservatives I guess.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

24 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Hopefully I can find another decent old show

Cheers and MASH have aged well imo. Blackadder, NewsRadio and Father Ted are also good. I rewatched Scrubs (minus season 9), Malcolm in the Middle, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sanford and Son and 3rd Rock from the Sun over the past couple of years and enjoyed the lot.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Cheers and MASH have aged well imo. Blackadder, NewsRadio and Father Ted are also good. I rewatched Scrubs (minus season 9), Malcolm in the Middle, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sanford and Son and 3rd Rock from the Sun over the past couple of years and enjoyed the lot.

Good suggestions.

I might give Cheers a try. I really enjoyed Fraiser and it is a spin off after all. Never saw it back in the day. I dunno if Austrian TV even showed it. It is on Paramount here which I currently have(mainly got it because of Fraiser).

Malcolm in the Middle, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Scrubs and Blackadder are shows I have watched and enjoyed in recent years.

Never seen more than a glimpse of MASH but I see it is on Disney+ I might give it a try too.

Sanford and Son I had to google and it looks interesting but it was sadly never dubbed back in the day and the streaming services usually don't carry stuff that has no German track here.

3rd Rock from the Sun is something I have already on my list and I should get an alert from a streaming info website if it becomes available here.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Hopefully I can find another decent old show

Barney Miller

If you haven't seen it trust me give it a chance, you will not be sorry! You will be amazed how relevant this series is to today with the stories it has to tell. Just subtract the lack of modern technology and a wardrobe department screaming "1970's!" ... or just let be part of the fun! The show profoundly exhibits one of those "the more things have changed the more they've just stayed the same" deals. It can be sesn on the progressive side of things even by today's standards but it's still working in the era of 1970's conduct and attitude. 

In my opinion this is one of the most sadly forgotten great sitcoms of the past. It also was the spiritual predecessor to Night Court another sitcom to watch if you haven't seen it. The head writer of Barney Miller went on to create and executive producer Night Court. The two shows (especially in Night Court's early seasons) go together like they could be combined into one show: Law & Order: Laugh Track Edition.

Plus Shepherd Book from Firefly is in it.

Also Taxi is another great sitcom that never gets old and if you're going to try Cheers, which was another excellent suggestion, Taxi is that show's spiritual predecessor. 

Happy Watching!

Edited by drawkcabi
Spellchecker hates me

Just noticed Justice League Action is available in Amazon Prime. For the longest time it was only available on the premium version of Hulu.

Think this is gonna get a rewatch. It's fun and lighthearted yet still really smart. Plus it's the last time Kevin Conroy voices Batman in a series :crying:

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Barney Miller

If you haven't seen it trust me give it a chance, you will not be sorry! You will be amazed how relevant this series is to today with the stories it has to tell. Just subtract the lack of modern technology and a wardrobe department screaming "1970's!" ... or just let be part of the fun! The show profoundly exhibits one of those "the more things have changed the more they've just stayed the same" deals. It can be sesn on the progressive side of things even by today's standards but it's still working in the era of 1970's conduct and attitude. 

In my opinion this is one of the most sadly forgotten great sitcoms of the past. It also was the spiritual predecessor to Night Court another sitcom to watch if you haven't seen it. The head writer of Barney Miller went on to create and executive producer Night Court. The two shows (especially in Night Court's early seasons) go together like they could be combined into one show: Law & Order: Laugh Track Edition.

Plus Shepherd Book from Firefly is in it.

Also Taxi is another great sitcom that never gets old and if you're going to try Cheers, which was another excellent suggestion, Taxi is that show's spiritual predecessor. 

Happy Watching!

Sadly those shows do not seem to available around here.

But thanks for the recommendations neverhanless. 

I think a cheat sheet for the latest episode of Reservation Dogs would be a necessary reminder of how these people from 50 years ago are related to the present day Rez Dogs.  Maybe others will find this useful:

Spoiler

Maximus / Chebon --> old man Bear met who told him about UFOs
Fixico --> Maximus's cousin, who is teaching Willie Jack to be a Medicine Man.
Mabel --> Elora's grandma who died last year.
Irene --> old woman Cheese adopted as his grandmother to get out of group home.
Brownie --> Elora's great uncle, who warned about the tornado.
Bucky --> local artist who stole a truck, and was stopped by Big while Cheese was on a ride-along. Later helped Willie Jack and Bear break a curse.

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Started Watching Killing Eve and I am really enjoying it. I enjoy Villanelle's (Jodie Comer) humour than I probably should.She's absolutely killing it.

leave it on a cliffhanger after S1, it goes downhill so fucking fast its insane. 

Watching episode 7 of The Great, Elle Fanning gives one of the most amazing performances I can ever remember! I’ve always liked her in the role, but it wasn’t often she really had to display many emotions due to the nature of the character. Here she has to really let it all out.

The scene where she watches the play is just a masterclass of someone trying to hide their emotions but telling you too much with their face. 

I was always under the impression she one of these forgettable child stars who is just there, but maybe she was great all along. I think she was in Neon Demon which is the one Refyn movie I checked out of. Maybe I’ll go back.

Have been enjoying each new episode of the Paramount+ series "Lioness".

Also nearly complete with a complete rewatch of Boardwalk Empire.

it's been astounding to remember the amount of talent assembled for the cast over the 5 seasons BE ran.

Just amazed they were all apart of this one series.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Been on a horror kick lately and getting some recommendations from r/horror. 

Anything for Jackson was the first rec that I actually watched and I loved it. I’m a sucker for demon possession movies done right and this one worked, and was actually original. 

I rewatched A Dark Song for the first time since it came out. A real slow burn but very impressive with what they got out of the actors and budget. Not for everyone but I think it’s solid.

I also rewatched The Blackcoat’s Daughter. I legitimately love this movie. The atmosphere and sense of dread throughout is great. This one is also a slow burn but absolutely delivers in the end. I’ve watched it with a few people who loathe it though. Another not for everyone I guess.

I finished the second season of Netflix's Shadow and Bone adaptation. Overall, I liked it although I think it does suffer a bit from trying to combine two novels from the trilogy and completely new plotlines intended to give the Crows something to do into eight episodes. On the plus side, it does mean a fast pace and avoids some of the duller bits of the books, but it does also mean some things feel a bit rushed. There are also some significant plot changes and parts of the ending are dramatically different, I think I prefer how Alina ends up in the show. I liked most of the cast and characters, particularly the Crows so I hope they do end up making the Six of Crows adaptation.