Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

Watched the first episode of the live-action One Piece after having bounced off it during a hotel stay (the TV was 4k, but also had motion interpolation on, so all the action just seemed bizzarely video-like). I'm not sure I'll continue. It's certainly a whimsical, colorful world, and the production values are insane. The actors are also all pretty charming, particularly Iñaki Godoy as Luffy who really sells a kind of wide-eyed innocence and mischeviousness. But... the writing is, well, cartoon-quality, I guess, or maybe Manga-quality, at the dialog level. It felt like it went on forever. I suspect things will improve as more characters and threads appear to allow a broad set of themes to play out, but I'm not sure it's for me other than purely on a visual level.

May give a couple more episodes a try, see if it grows on me, but honestly, I've always been dubious of remaking perfectly good anime into live action (see Cowboy Bebop :ack:), and yes, it's a manga first, but I don't know, doubling up seems odd. For the insane budget this first season had, they could have produced... oh, I don't know, 70 seasons worth of animes.

I liked Nami and Roronoa as well. The latter in particular is a fun trope, the mysterious ronin master swordsman. I don't know. It's weird to watch something where it looks great, no problem with the actors, scoring is good, but the actual nuts-and-bolts of the writing are so...

Oh, well, Foundation has similar problems, actually (except there are issues with some of the actors!)

51 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

When Evil Lurks. Demonic possession movie from Argentina. This is one of the more disturbing and brutal horror movies I’ve seen in a while. Definitely not for the faint of heart. My jaw dropped at least a few times watching it. 

Spoiler

Lady just walking down the road casually eating her son’s brains while holding the body. That scene was wild. And obviously the dog and goat scenes.

I signed up for the Shudder 7 day trial just to watch this one. I was kinda underwhelmed by Terrified(Rugna’s other hyped one)but this one was solid.

I went into the Panderverse with South Park yesterday. It's weird how South Park has become sort of a comfort blanket. It's not as dazzling as it used to be, but there are still quite a few zingers in a given episode. This special was quite scathing for Disney, but it stayed too much on the surface for the other things they were criticizing in this episode.

31 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I went into the Panderverse with South Park yesterday. It's weird how South Park has become sort of a comfort blanket. It's not as dazzling as it used to be, but there are still quite a few zingers in a given episode. This special was quite scathing for Disney, but it stayed too much on the surface for the other things they were criticizing in this episode.

Where does South Park stream globally outside of paramount + ? I can’t find it anywhere 

‘Ponniyin Selvan’ Director Mani Ratnam On Working With A.R. Rahman & Writing For Women: “We Should Invest Intelligence In Female Characters” – Mumbai Film Festival

https://deadline.com/2023/10/mumbai-film-festival-jio-mami-mani-ratnam-ponniyan-selvan-1235586039/

I confess to some confusion as to what it means to say “We Should Invest Intelligence In Female Characters”.  Does it mean we men should use intelligence when writing characters who happen to be women in hopes then the women will produce more intelligence, like investment provides profit? Does it mean we men should write women characters as intelligent beings? Or ... ?  :cheers: 

.... While Ratnam is known for writing layered and complex characters, later in the conversation, Ali noted that his female characters always seem to be more conflicted than the men. 

He replied: “I hadn’t thought about it that way. I just feel that it’s important to invest intelligence into female characters. It just makes sense and makes everything a lot more real and specific – because that’s how women are in the real world, so you might as well put it on the screen.” ....

provide or endow someone or something with (a particular quality or attribute

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

‘Ponniyin Selvan’ Director Mani Ratnam On Working With A.R. Rahman & Writing For Women: “We Should Invest Intelligence In Female Characters” – Mumbai Film Festival

https://deadline.com/2023/10/mumbai-film-festival-jio-mami-mani-ratnam-ponniyan-selvan-1235586039/

I confess to some confusion as to what it means to say “We Should Invest Intelligence In Female Characters”.  Does it mean we men should use intelligence when writing characters who happen to be women in hopes then the women will produce more intelligence, like investment provides profit? Does it mean we men should write women characters as intelligent beings? Or ... ?  :cheers: 

Not just profit.

And all cinema around the world is still plagued by misrepresentation of women in various forms

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

"Kathleen Kennedy is goin' git ya!"

Watched the premiere of the second season of The Gilded Age. Robert Sean Leonard has joined the cast as a new priest at the fancy church high society goes to. The episode starts on Easter Sunday and my word, the costuming budget for this show must be enormous. There were so many extravagant gowns and hats on display, and some of the main characters never seem to wear the same elaborate gown twice. It's crazy. The show itself is fun, light melodrama in an American Downtown Abbey sort of way, but (if anything) a bit sillier at times. Frothy, maybe, is the best way to describe it. But the costuming really is amazing to my untrained eye.

Started watching The Newsroom, about 5 episodes in. Didn't know anything about it except for the one clip where the star tells the college kid about how the US isn't the greatest country in the world.  So far it's pretty good, the tension feels pretty real and man, replace Tea Party with MAGA... This came out in 2012 and jeez does it feel like it's taking place right now. Even the parts about the supreme court justices taking money from special interests, specifically calls out Scalia and Thomas, 11 years ago. Some things never change.

Didn't realize there would be so much soapy romance drama. Feels like that takes too much time some episodes and is really heavy handed in the tie ins to that episodes main issue.

13 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Started watching The Burning Girls. Only one ep in, so the jury's still out. Seems OK, but my oh my, is there any role Samantha Morton can't play? She is amazing. 

I'm excited for this! I listened to a podcast with the author of the book, but she was talking about her second book and the host was like, 'and what's happening with production of The Burning Girls? She said, 'oh, it's starting on Paramount in a couple of weeks'. Also, yay for me getting some more use out of my Paramount account. Then I was all excited about the first episode but I got snowed under with work and semi-forgot about it. Just remembered again yesterday.

Managed to do the full Halloween weekend triple bill of American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. Somehow (no matter that I have seen it LOADS of times) I always seem to forget how many one-liners there are in Ginger Snaps. Really want to watch the sequel but Prime has it as 'not available in your area'. :bang:

I'm home alone this evening might rewatch The VVitch.

30 minutes ago, Isis said:

Managed to do the full Halloween weekend triple bill of American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. Somehow (no matter that I have seen it LOADS of times) I always seem to forget how many one-liners there are in Ginger Snaps. Really want to watch the sequel but Prime has it as 'not available in your area':bang:

Have you seen the entire trilogy? 

7 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

It is Treehouse of Horror day! :D

I binged everyone of these during the pandemic. The difference from the first 10 verse the last 10 highlights just how bad The Simpsons has gotten. Same goes if you watch all the Sideshow Bob episodes. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have you seen the entire trilogy? 

I binged everyone of these during the pandemic. The difference from the first 10 verse the last 10 highlights just how bad The Simpsons has gotten. Same goes if you watch all the Sideshow Bob episodes. 

I do consider season 11+ heretical. :crying:

26 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I do consider season 11+ heretical. :crying:

11 and 12 are still decent. However the recent seasons from the few episodes I randomly watched are rough. People I know who've stuck with it say every season still has a few good episodes, but I think they're just chasing nostalgia. It's impressive how well seasons 2-8 (or 10) hold up. 

The show really should end though and there are a number like it that should as well. Family Guy and South Park have run their course and I can't believe they're still making DBZ stuff.