Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I remember watching this and for the first hour I was thinking 'why am I watching this?!' because it felt like it was really going nowhere, but for some reason I noticed I was enjoying it, and by the end I thought it was great.

I get that takeaway. The first half or so of the movie is slow and uncomfortable. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people turned it off before the film started to really take off. 

22 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Plus Neil Gaiman apparently credits POG and the Silver Snail comic book store in Toronto as creating interest in his work and starting his career.

Follow up interview with Mark Aswith, producer of POG and manager of Silver Snail.  He includes the story of selling more copies of Neil Gaimon's Violent Cases than all other comic stores in North America combined.   When he ordered The Dark Knight Returns for Silver Snail it was 2/3rds of the whole order for all of Canada - and it sold out in 3 weeks.

^^^ Yeah, first episode was intriguing and well done. I’m definitely in. I have the whole weekend off so might just plow through it.

Speaking of Succession, I have 3 episodes left to finish it off. It lived up to the hype mostly. Unfortunately I was spoiled to how it ends because morons love putting blaring spoilers in the titles of their YouTube vids. 

I watched the David Beckham documentary on Netflix

I always felt Becks was a superb footballer who was actually underrated, not overrated, because of his pop lifestyle.

I enjoyed the part where he talked about his admiration for Hoddle, since my older brother hero-worshipped Hoddle.

Obviously, Hoddle's man management left something to be desired. He seemed to be playing some kind of 4D chess with Beckham's mind by saying he was unfocused. He kind of proved to be right though, didn't he?

I knew Beckham was vilified but didn't realise how bad it was. The England fans were horrendous. I just don't see something like that happening today.

52 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I always felt Becks was a superb footballer who was actually underrated, not overrated, because of his pop lifestyle.

I enjoyed the part where he talked about his admiration for Hoddle, since my older brother hero-worshipped Hoddle.

Obviously, Hoddle's man management left something to be desired. He seemed to be playing some kind of 4D chess with Beckham's mind by saying he was unfocused. He kind of proved to be right though, didn't he?

I knew Beckham was vilified but didn't realise how bad it was. The England fans were horrendous. I just don't see something like that happening today.

Yeah I’ve been watching too, it’s very interesting, it’s like a Time Machine to a previous age, one I was alive for!

I remembered all the abuse he got but never really considered how nasty a lot of it was. Maybe the documentary painted it from his perspective quite heavily to make him more of a sympathy figure, but a lot of the stuff said about him was quite often said for fun, I guess it wasn’t clear how deeply he felt it.

I did get the sense the documentary also missed that one of the reasons he got so much stick was because he was a pretty boy who married a spice girl and had almost everything in life, there was jealousy and just a sense that people were aiming up rather than down. When the crowd shouted ‘posh spice takes i up the ***’ I just thought that was funny. Nobody saw them as victims at the time because the seemed so untouchable.

Watched the first two eps. of Fall of the House of Usher is a campier sensibility (due to folding in all the Edgar Allan Poe references higgly piggly) Succession, but the writing for the characters' is no where near as sharp, and doesn't have that inevitability of flow that Succession did.  Plus, much cheaper budget.  Instead of Murdoch media empire that is busy murdering democracy and egalitarianism, it's a pharmaceutical empire like the Sacklers' that literally murders human beings.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Watched the first two eps. of Fall of the House of Usher is a campier sensibility (due to folding in all the Edgar Allan Poe references higgly piggly) Succession, but the writing for the characters' is no where near as sharp, and doesn't have that inevitability of flow that Succession did.  Plus, much cheaper budget.  Instead of Murdoch media empire that is busy murdering democracy and egalitarianism, it's a pharmaceutical empire like the Sacklers' that literally murders human beings.

It’s not as good as Succession for sure when it comes to dysfunctional family dynamics but it works very well as a horror show,in typical Mike Flannagan expository style. Loved Mark Hamills performance as well, been a while since I saw him in non-SW related stuff 

14 hours ago, Darryk said:

I think he made as much of his actual talent as anyone ever, but he was pretty limited. What he did he did incredibly well but I don't know where you would get superb from. To paraphrase the famous quote, 'he can't tackle, no left foot, can't head, no pace, no tricks, doesnt score many goals, but apart from that he's alright'. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think he made as much of his actual talent as anyone ever, but he was pretty limited. What he did he did incredibly well but I don't know where you would get superb from. To paraphrase the famous quote, 'he can't tackle, no left foot, can't head, no pace, no tricks, doesnt score many goals, but apart from that he's alright'. 

It’s by design that the doc doesn’t really discuss how limited he was, if you didn’t watch football you’d be under the impression he was as good as Ronaldo or Messi, but to make their point all they have is some clips of the free kicks he scored and times he ran around a bit.. which is really the extent of what he did. 

Also the doc really skims over whether he did have an affair, but you do get the sense he did in fact do it

Edited by Heartofice

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did they cover him throwing the toys out the pram when he didn't get a knighthood? 

Nope, wasn’t mentioned, also none of his activities in Qatar were talked about. Like a lot of sports documentaries this is totally a fluff piece made to make the subject look good, only lightly touching the negative stuff. 

Having said that, it was a lot of fun to watch, him and posh are pretty funny and they got a ton of big names in to talk to camera, even if they didn’t say anything too cutting. 

I did see a clip that was pretty funny, his taking the piss out of Posh when she tried to claim her family was solidly working class. He asked her what was the model of the car her father drove her to school in, and after much hemming and hawing from Victoria, it turned out to be a Rolls-Royce. LOL.

I got the sense he was genuinely a bit irritated by that because his background actually was working class.

On the other hand while it is plainly ridiculous for Victoria to claim that, it's understandable why she grew up thinking that way- she wasn't working class but her dad was, and I've no doubt the family self-identity was full-on 'I came from 'umble roots, worked my way up, man of the people me' because someone who came up working class is (often, not always) gonna both loathe to admit being middle class and find it difficult to be accepted as middle class.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know where you would get superb from

Well I just thought his crossing and passing was superb.

That quote from George Best must have killed him inside by the way.

Edited by Darryk

Since I remember the Becks to Real Madrid hubbub as if it was yesterday, I very clearly remember Beckham, while still a Man United player, making comments in the press after the boot incident suggesting that he would be open to a move to Real Madrid. 

The documentary noticeably left out that part and made out as if Ferguson's decision to sell Becks was out of nowhere, when it was most likely a response to Beckham's comments in the press.