Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

I put on Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron yesterday. Had always intended to watch it, but just never got around to it since the reviews were quite damming back when it came out. I needed some mindless action, so I decided that I wouldn't be perturbed.

All in all it was okay. Theron was good in it, but apart from the action, there is not much to recommend here. Better than some of the director's other work (he directed Hobbs & Shaw and the abominable Bullet Train), but it's definitely not good enough to form the basis for a 'Jane Wick' like franchise.

In other words, it's okay on its own, but the missed opportunity makes me a tad sad. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

To other scumbags maybe. Why would anyone admire that? They were thug arseholes. Whats admirable about cheating to win? 

Where was the cheating, I genuinely must have missed that? Were the Celtics thugs too because the Pistons learned "how to win" through the battles with them, Pistons took it one step farther. The 80's basketball was totally different from today and there were "thugs" on pretty much every team.

I watched Equalizer 3. Compared to the second film I think this went back to a more natural plot for the franchise with McCall trying to help protect people from a criminal gang. I liked the Italian setting, even if it is determined to leave no cliche unused in its portrayal of the Camora villains. There's nothing particularly original here but it is well executed for the sort of film that it is and Denzel's performance lifts it above most similar films.

I also watched Black Adam, the trailers for it hadn't tempted me to watch it at the cinema when it was out last year but now I can watch it for free I gave it a try. It does at least have a coherent plot and the effects don't look terrible, which puts it above half of the other DC films, but I think it's hard to give it any more than faint praise. It does give a better reason for the (anti-)heroes to be fighting each other in it and does acknowledge that a bunch of Americans showing up in the Middle East declaring that they will restore peace and will fight anyone who gets in their way is problematic. However, the plot is lumbered with a lot of clunky exposition and the characterisation is shallow, particularly for the Justice Society. I think Pierce Brosnan is the highlight and he does at least seem to be enjoying himself.

I finished City Primeval and as a huge fan of original Justified I'm disappointed as fuck. I really wanted it to be good, but they just couldn't deliver, could they? Not sure if it's the book itself or the writers, but the story is paved with plot holes.

Spoiler

Seriously, Clement just walks into the den of the Albanians, who even know he's coming, and can watch him on screens, and he just shoots them all one after another? Including the last two, who should be raining him with bullets the moment he shows up? Pleeeease, give me a break.

Plus, he didn't expect Raylan was going to shoot him? Really? That's just bad writing.

The last scene would be very exciting if I believed they could do something with it, but now I just don't, sadly.

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Where was the cheating, I genuinely must have missed that? Were the Celtics thugs too because the Pistons learned "how to win" through the battles with them, Pistons took it one step farther. The 80's basketball was totally different from today and there were "thugs" on pretty much every team.

wrong thread, but if you think that what they did was within the rules, and not cheating, good for you.  

New season of Sex Education starts tomorrow, rubbish publicising as usual.  Also nearly 2.5 years since last one, and they were already far too old anyway, its going to start looking like 90210 with all the 30 year olds in high school. 

I finished the last season of The Great. Definitely top 3 shows of this year for me. I think it ended at a perfect moment and on the whole each season stands up really well. It isn't talked about enough and I guess it's not for everyone, but it's mix of humour and history and fantastic performances make it a special show for me. That it has a unique quality really sets it above most other things out there.

Otherwise been watching a few other shows. OMINTB is still going and I probably prefer this season to the last one, Meryll Streep just knocking it out of the park every time she is on screen. Martin Short is an underrated comedy genius I think (Jiminiy Glick is a classic) and stands out. The other two not so much. It's always sad to see a tired looking Steve Martin who hasn't really 'had it' since the 80s, and he's trying to do his old schtick but it always feels a little off the pace. Selena Gomez, nice to look at, but she seems so limited in this show, everything she says is so one note. Still it's an enjoyable enough show.

Saw King Richard, Will Smith as the dad of the Williams sisters. It really does have a Will Smith vibe, that sort of feel good drama, with a bit of actual drama but never enough to make you feel bad, it's mostly a smileathon, and Smith is very good at giving audience that feeling. Shame he might not be on our screen much more after 'that slap'. The whole movie feels like it's an extension of his character however, I get why he chose it. Smith seemed to go through that 'inspirational dad' phase and seems to embody a self help ethos, which is kind of what this story is about.

Shame The Great was cancelled, but it was understandable that they ended it at what seemed like an excellent point to close a chapter of Catherine's story, and I don't really know how they could have continued without Nicholas Hoult.

Incredibly horny show, too. LOL.

11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I finished City Primeval and as a huge fan of original Justified I'm disappointed as fuck. I really wanted it to be good, but they just couldn't deliver, could they? Not sure if it's the book itself or the writers, but the story is paved with plot holes.

All the above, including them sticking Oliphant's daughter in there as Raylan's daughter -- she had no function, except for making that sentimental almost 'fini forever on the saga of Raylan Givens' -- though they didn't even have the conviction for that either seeing how

Spoiler

the last shot is of that fone calling him and he can't quite rip his eyes from it.

But a lot of the problem too was Detroit as location. That isn't Raylon's fish bowl, it just isn't.  You saw how the screen just sizzled in that

Spoiler

scene back in Kentucky?

That was the best of the whole series by a thousand times.

Edited by Zorral

Just finished season 1 of The Owl House - because I read season 3 was really good.
It's definitely a decent animated show - for kids, but with references to other works (Harry Potter especially). It certainly has the potential to become something great along the way - with lots of minor mysteries to be explored later on, and characters who can all be developed - at this point, only Eda, the Owl Lady herself, is fully fleshed. I truly love Wendie Malick as a voice actress btw.
It's a bit slow at first - even for a kids' show - but that's because it has less to say than Avatar or The Dragon Prince. It's also way wackier. But I can see it rising to their level in further seasons.

Enjoyed The Owl House though by the time I got round to watching the final two episodes, I'd largely forgotten who everyone was. Would probably rank it below Avatar but above The Dragon Prince; don't think it ever hits the heights of the former, but avoids most of the slowness and sentimentality of the latter. Watched it in German which had a great voice actress for Edalyn and a terrible OOT one for Hooty. Though since it's probably aimed at the under-tens, I shouldn't complain. The tiny ones probably adore Hooty. 

Edited by dog-days

I’m still on a horror/thriller kick. I watched We Need to Talk About Kevin the other day. What a bleak fucking movie. Tilda Swinton unsurprisingly kills it, and maybe real life psychopath Ezra Miller played himself great.  Very little uplifting moments here but it was a really good movie all around.

I also saw Watcher with Maika Monroe. It was solid. Nothing mind-blowing and it went pretty much as expected but worth a go.

Also watched Speak No Evil. It might’ve been hyped up a little too much in certain horror circles but it was pretty decent. The ending sure was something. Some glaring plot holes though:

Spoiler

All those couples and the baddies’ sloppiness never got them caught? Writing a postcard invitation to the couple they were about to slaughter. Going to a restaurant close to their house and they use a credit card? All the bodies throughout the years?

Pretty shocking that the couple wouldn’t fight back at all, but I guess that was the point.

”Because you let me.”

Lovely penultimate episode of Reservation Dogs but there wasn't much actual conflict.  Two people wrestling with themselves and then making inroads in their relationship.  Nice surprise in the guest actor as Elora's dad.

Edited by SpaceChampion

No One Will Save You is an interesting Hulu original SF thriller that features a lot of great tension and buildup, nice creature design, even if the CGI isn't top notch, and good expressive acting without dialogue. Because the movie doesn't have a dialogue other than 2 quick lines spoken by the protagonist. I liked the movie up until the end, which has me befuddled

Spoiler

And if the entire movie is a metaphor for people suffering of depression due to a traumatic event, then the movie title is cold, really cold.

So yeah, the movie while only PG-13 has some tough emotional moments.

On a lighthearted note and to my ultimate disappointment.

Spoiler

I spent about half the movie hoping it was some sort of low-key XCOM prequel.

Started One Piece after hearing folks talking about it here. I had literally never heard of the IP before.  I enjoyed the intro pirate king scene thinking, OK I can get into a Pirates of the Caribbean/Black Sails world.  Stuck with it with the dude in the barrel getting swept up by the pirates.  Started to wonder how a kid's show (I was assuming by dialogue) was allowing the pirate to smash a prisoner with a maul.  Then got to the part when the dude started using super power bendy movements and Nope'd right out of that series.

ETA: I noticed it was a Manga series (based on the Star Wars thread apparently #3 in some several peoples minds of being the most influential all time!) and something of a victory after Cowboy Bebop failed?  I thought the Cowboy Bebop live series was quite decent, but apparently I am in the minority

Edited by horangi

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Sex Education S4

It didn't work for me like the earlier seasons. Nice but nothing great. Hope Stranger Things provides better closure Netflix.

Balls. Next on my list  

S16 of its always sunny. Good, but nowhere near as good as their peak years. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 9/21/2023 at 3:48 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Lovely penultimate episode of Reservoir Dogs but there wasn't much actual conflict.  Two people wrestling with themselves and then making inroads in their relationship.  Nice surprise in the guest actor as Elora's dad.

No one called me out for calling Reservation Dogs as Reservoir Dogs.

Edited by SpaceChampion