Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

4 hours ago, Isis said:

We watched Prince of Darkness yesterday. I saw this as a kid in the late 80's and was a bit non-plussed by it at the time. I love John Carpenter so I thought I might 'get it' a bit more as an adult, but no, I still couldn't get into it. Also not scary at all? The only way it was really entertaining was by enjoying the TERRIBAD 1980's hair and make up. Anyway, at least my husband will stop asking if we can watch it now.

I like Prince of Darkness, but it’s definitely the weakest of Carpenter’s “Apocalypse trilogy.” With The Thing obviously being the best, and In the Mouth of Madness being one of his most underrated. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I like Prince of Darkness, but it’s definitely the weakest of Carpenter’s “Apocalypse trilogy.” With The Thing obviously being the best, and In the Mouth of Madness being one of his most underrated. 

Whoa, I didn't know The Thing was part of a disconnected trilogy. Guess I've got two more films to add to the list. 

18 hours ago, snowleo said:

The kids and I are on the final season of She-Ra, which is a really, really good animated Netflix show. I'd put it right up there with Dragon Prince/Owl House/Avatar. I'll be sad when it's over, because I have no idea of any other shows for us to watch together when this finishes. Any suggestions? My kids are 8 and 11.

15 hours ago, dog-days said:

I liked Gravity Falls (Disney Plus).  A brother and sister go and stay with their chancer great-uncle Stan over the summer. Adventures ensue. 

Gravity Falls is absolutely wonderful and should be on the shortlist of things to watch for everyone. It is incredibly watchable and rewatchable, has a ton of awesome voice talent, is very creative and is a self-contained story within two seasons. 

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

In the Mouth of Madness will be up next, I expect. But I've never seen this so at least it might be a bit more interesting for me.

I had a double feature of two disappointing Resident Evil adaptations recently (both via Netflix). First up the film RE: Welcome to Raccoon City was just bland and nothingy. I mean, they just took the familiar stpry and just did...hardly anything with it.?

Then, for some reason, I started watching the Netflix series, Resident Evil. I feel bad for Lance Reddick. Although he was one of the best things in it, I guess. Now, this started out a bit more interesting because it had the dual timelines, but it just tapered off with a whimper. The lead was unconvincing and unsympathetic. It felt like it didn't even have an ending! Are they leaving it hanging for a second season? LOL.

For some spectacular action and narrative tension, very highly recommended is the fourth episode. "The Bridge" of Vikings: Valhalla, season 1 (2022).  This is the episode in which the Norse forces pull down London Bridge, goad-trick Dunning-Kruger youngster King Edmond out of London, trap him and his forces, take the city, while Streona, who was to trap the Nordic forces, turn around and go home. 

It's really wonderful.  Of course, though all the figures are historical ones, many of them in the episode, were not present historically, including, particularly Leif Erickson. Nor by historical accounts, perhaps Edmond wasn't a watered down Joffrey?

The historical anomalies aside, it is really entertaining.  How odd it didn't find an audience here, including myself, when it came out, when, evidently by the reviews and ratings it did, generally, even among those who don't care much for period drama, and / or felt burned out by it.  They agree too, this episode is spectacular.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:24 PM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Gravity Falls is absolutely wonderful and should be on the shortlist of things to watch for everyone. It is incredibly watchable and rewatchable, has a ton of awesome voice talent, is very creative and is a self-contained story within two seasons. 

Maybe the kids will re-watch it with me--I know they have both seen it at least twice. If I'm remembering correctly, it's created by the guys who made Homestar Runner, which maybe I'll just make the kids watch 75 strongbad emails... 

Anyone watching The Winter King?

I believe it's about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through its first season.

Can anyone report? Is it as shit as the trailer made it look? Does it bear any actual relation to the books? or is it just another Arthurian swords-and-sandals show with some names from Cornwell?

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I just started this, two episodes in and she does stand out.

she does have the best material to work with, kind of useless power that is unpleasant to activate gives a lot of scope for putting an interesting take on it. 

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Anyone watching The Winter King?

I believe it's about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through its first season.

Can anyone report? Is it as shit as the trailer made it look? Does it bear any actual relation to the books? or is it just another Arthurian swords-and-sandals show with some names from Cornwell?

It's not particularly good.  Mostly because some of the actors and some of the dialogue wildly vary.  (The guy playing Derfel is just awful, the guy playing Arthur quite good) It follows Cornwall probably more than it should quite honestly but still deviates a lot. I have no idea if it is or not but it feels like a BBC show (very cheap looking and seemingly impossible to make people look dirty but with some good stuff from actors/settings).  It is definitely not an Arthurian swords and sandals show as it is trying to have the flavour of the books.

The 2015 thriller The Invitation is wild. It's about a group of wealthy friends reuniting at a dinner party with a few other random guests. The initial conflict is the protagonist is uneasy to go because the party is being held at his old house and his ex-wife is now remarried. It then quickly becomes obvious the latter couple are in a cult. After that's revealed it's a bit hard to guess what's about to happen next. It does a very good job of ramping up the tension and really sticks the landing at the end. Highly recommend this one if this type of movie is something that appeals to you.  

Just recently watched Coherence and it was very good, especially for a $50k budget or whatever it had. Definitely recommend. I kinda wish I watched it high though. Goes from awkward dinner party banter to sci-fi weirdness quickly.

Love The Invitation too. The ending is so good. Slow burn done right.

Rick Green talks about his old series on TV Ontario, Prisoners of Gravity, which interview hundreds of comic book and SF/F writers.

Includes an amusing story of how Zack Snyder said he really didn't get the Watchmen comic book story until he watched it talked about on POG.

Plus Neil Gaiman apparently credits POG and the Silver Snail comic book store in Toronto as creating interest in his work and starting his career.

Edited by SpaceChampion

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The 2015 thriller The Invitation is wild. It's about a group of wealthy friends reuniting at a dinner party with a few other random guests. The initial conflict is the protagonist is uneasy to go because the party is being held at his old house and his ex-wife is now remarried. It then quickly becomes obvious the latter couple are in a cult. After that's revealed it's a bit hard to guess what's about to happen next. It does a very good job of ramping up the tension and really sticks the landing at the end. Highly recommend this one if this type of movie is something that appeals to you.  

I remember watching this and for the first hour I was thinking 'why am I watching this?!' because it felt like it was really going nowhere, but for some reason I noticed I was enjoying it, and by the end I thought it was great.

23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

she does have the best material to work with, kind of useless power that is unpleasant to activate gives a lot of scope for putting an interesting take on it. 

I caught up last night, she still is the one stand out amongst the supes.

Spoiler

She is basically Ant Man but without the tech