Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ha!

One Piece’ Solidifies Its Dominance With Another Week Atop Netflix TV Charts

https://deadline.com/2023/09/one-piece-ratings-netflix-global-campaign-success-1235544409/

Ugh I tried watching it yesterday,couldn’t finish even 10 minutes of this crap before i had to turn it off. Wheel of Time is the only decent thing on streaming right now. This is yet another mediocre Netflix adaptation.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

On 9/12/2023 at 4:02 AM, Veltigar said:

I watched a Finnish film called Sisu last night. Had been waiting for this for quite a while. I read it was a rather straight-up John Wick knock-off, set during the Lapland War of 1944, and that the violence committed against the Nazi villains was comically over the top.

I remember seeing trailers for this and the first time I saw it I was like hell yeah, Inglorious Basterds meets John Wick. Then I saw another preview and it seemed worse.  Thankfully I never paid to watch it and haven't come across it streaming yet.  I am a glutton for punishment so I am sure I'll watch it some day.

13 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ugh I tried watching it yesterday,couldn’t finish even 10 minutes of this crap before i had to turn it off. Wheel of Time is the only decent thing on streaming right now.

I wasn't much interested in the One Piece adaptation but this is a ringing endorsement for me.

Edited by polishgenius

Sisu felt like one of the Grindhouse movies to me. Absurd and silly and very 70s. Closer to Kung Fury or Death Proof than Keanu and Odinkirk beating up criminals. I enjoyed it as a late night romp that I'll never bother with again. The dialogue sounded like it was written by a high school kid. It was a really dumb movie but I don't think it wanted to be much more.

.... One Piece, the live-action adaptation of Eiichiro Oda’s ongoing best-selling manga, just wrapped its second week at No. 1 in Netflix’s Top 10 with another dominating performance internationally. And, in what is becoming a right of passage for every series that hits it big with young adults these days (like Netflix’s Wednesday), One Piece sparked a TikTok craze with tributes to its demented villain Buggy.

In an interview with Deadline, One Piece executive producers, Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements, spoke about how the tide turned on TikTok, with skeptical fans of the manga and anime series embracing the live-action adaptation of the story about a young man and his pirate crew’s search for the fabled “One Piece” treasure. ...

https://deadline.com/2023/09/one-piece-producers-manga-luffy-interview-1235544012/

I love this bit!

The two veteran TV producers also discussed making use of pirate ships originally built for Starz’s Black Sails in South Africa, shared their favorite moments from Season 1 and how that finale credits scene sets up a potential second season

Edited by Zorral

All the things coming together is episode 8 of this season of Reservation Dogs made me wonder if was the series finale.  Two more episodes to go though.  Amusing "heist" and fun call backs to the beginning for the season and the series as a whole.

Edited by SpaceChampion

LMAO The Daryl Dixon Walking Dead spin-off,

Spoiler

given the preview of the rest of the season tacked to the end of the premiere episode, is basically Mad Max 3 in France, even hinting at a Thunderdome.  I know Carol was initially suppose to be part of this, but I think the premise plays the wandering stoic hero trope better with him alone.  There was a huge WTF moment midway through the premiere when they trotted out a really unexpected and goofy Chosen One trope.  The Nun thinks she's been raising the next Messiah.  This show is something else.

All that said, it is probably the best Walking Dead spin-off they've done.  I kind of dig it.  I hope it holds up.

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I wasn't much interested in the One Piece adaptation but this is a ringing endorsement for me.

Heh, I started it two days ago and already watched five episodes. It's charming, even if cheesy at times. I know nothing about the original, but the adaptation got me hooked. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but entertaining and fun.

Did anyone in the UK watch the UK version of Alone? I think it aired earlier this year. I've been watching it on catch up. Totally different vibe to the couple of seasons of the US version I've seen. It's very subtle and low key compared to the US version but I've been quite sucked in by it? Currently down to the final four contestants. I'm absolutely amazed that someone managed to last three weeks without catching any food at all, just living off of berries - and they walked out looking normal. Completely mad. 

On 9/13/2023 at 6:35 PM, SpaceChampion said:

All the things coming together is episode 8 of this season of Reservation Dogs made me wonder if was the series finale.  Two more episodes to go though.  Amusing "heist" and fun call backs to the beginning for the season and the series as a whole.

It was a great episode.  This season has been super solid.

I’m rewatching The Wolf of Wall Street.

Maybe there was something wrong with me the first time, but I’m enjoying it so much more this time around. How did I not realize how insanely funny this this movie is? 

Also, less than five minutes in and Leonardo DiCaprio is blowing cocaine into a prostitute’s rectum with a straw? Scorsese is fearless. 

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I’m rewatching The Wolf of Wall Street.

Maybe there was something wrong with me the first time, but I’m enjoying it so much more this time around. How did I not realize how insanely funny this this movie is? 

Also, less than five minutes in and Leonardo DiCaprio is blowing cocaine into a prostitute’s rectum with a straw? Scorsese is fearless. 

The Lemmons scene is possibly the hardest I’ve ever laughed in a movie theater. 

Leo should have won his Oscar for that role. Hill deserved one too. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. My mind was blown when I learned it's a (mostly) true story. 

And Margot Robbie.... one of the few times I felt like my jaw hit the floor the first time I saw an actress. I'm glad her star has blown up so much because she absolutely deserves it. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And Margot Robbie.... one of the few times I felt like my jaw hit the floor the first time I saw an actress. I'm glad her star has blown up so much because she absolutely deserves it. 

Jonah Hill's character had a similar reaction.

Jon Bernthal is underappreciated. Note the scene where Belfort wakes up after his bachelor party. 

And Matthew McConaughey. My god. I imagine a lot of the dialogue in that film is just r-rated improv. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Jonah Hill's character had a similar reaction.

Jon Bernthal is underappreciated. Note the scene where Belfort wakes up after his bachelor party. 

And Matthew McConaughey. My god. I imagine a lot of the dialogue in that film is just r-rated improv. 

I think everyone in the film crushed it. Some of the actors playing the smaller parts were insanely good. And yeah, Bernthal was great. I've only seen him in a few things, but each time he's been excellent. I have my criticisms of The Walking Dead and quit it early in S5, however he was fire in the first two seasons.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

TWOW is meh, but at least it's not as boring as Goodfellas.

Tommy should whack you for this. WTF are you talking about?