Football - Never Say Die!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:
This accent should make Alexander Isak eligible for England

Heh, I've found that Scandinavian people who're really good at English can pick up some weird accents sometimes depending on how they've learned English. There was a Norwegian guy on my course at uni I wasn't quite sure whether he was American or not for ages. Haaland's lack of a Leeds accent is a big disappointment I have to say.

Relevo has been reporting a few developments to this:

1) The caretaker president of the RFEF has called an emergency meeting with all regional presidents where they apparently intend to distance themselves from Rubiales.

2) UEFA received the letter from Rubiales's ally, Andreu Camps, but have no intention of intervening so there's no danger of Spanish teams being kicked out of UEFA competitions.

3) Reports that the Prosecutor's Office of Spain's National Court has opened criminal proceedings against Rubiales for sexual assault.

Edited by Consigliere

Liverpool have seven points from nine, including two very tough away games, but they’ve looked so ropey in those games.  The silver lining of two red cards was ten men playing more compactly and counterattacking.

I used the “it’s only pre-season” caveat at the time but all of those problems have persisted.  It’s bad enough that we have some players out of position, especially MacAllister and Gakpo for the first two games and Robertson in general now, but the formation is badly unbalanced and highly reliant on Konate’s (injured again now!) pace and stamina to cover acres of defensive territory.

Amongst the new players, Szoboslai has started really well, MacAllister looks very good if we can play him in the right role, and Endo looks like he has been thrown in before he’s ready (too early to judge more harshly than that).  Salah continues his blend of high G+A while also being anonymous or ineffective for long periods.  Diaz and Nunez look hungry.  The defense is a mess.  Alisson will have another busy season.

The high press looks too uncoordinated, which is leaving us very exposed to attacks.

Those issue will persist for a while, at least until Endo (or a new DM?) is settled into the team and adjusted to the league. Fabinho was given like half a season with very limited game time, Endo won't get to enjoy that luxury. Those sixers are sorta important for defensive stability.

As for Konate I think I mentioned his injury issues when you signed him.

Other issue is really Arnold still being defensively suspect. That was a big problem for Liverpool last season and he was not great defensively against Newcastle, and he was on the hook for Newcastle's goal due to a horrible technical error. And while I personally think, that the ball from Salah was not great, he clearly should've dealt with the ball much, much better.

Tierney has gone to Sociedad and I wish him well - initially when he came to arsenal, I thought he would be our starting LB for years and he was first choice for a decent amount of time.

Been unlucky with injuries, but when he has played for us you cannot doubt his commitment to the team ( especially when it wasn't there with others). The team has obviously moved away with what we want our LB to do, but bit sad to see him leave.

Also, I hope Smith Rowe gets some proper minutes with this team, or I feel like we will sell him next summer. I still think  he gives us something different from other players in the squad, and have beeen a bit disappointed that we haven't seen much of him.

I wonder how patient our owners are, statistically we had by far the hardest first 5 games, and nobody expects anything away at City.  But away to Brighton this weekend is not ideal after blowing it on Sunday.  Its inconceivable that they would not back him after the job he has done, but you never know nowadays. 

Apparently Nunes is on strike to try and force though a move, it i was a manager that would end my interest, who wants to sign a primadonna fucking cock. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apparently Nunes is on strike to try and force though a move, it i was a manager that would end my interest, who wants to sign a primadonna fucking cock. 

At the moment, this type of behaviour is in the best interest of the club who wants to sign him so I doubt they see an issue. I know I wouldn't want to see the player my club was after resorting to this, but we football fans are a fickle bunch and that player would definitely get a pass sooner or later if he performed well.

I would really like to see clubs crashing down on players on strike to force a move. Contracts are valid and they are binding. If the club would treat going on strike as a player not fulfilling their end of the bargain and fined him financially for that for the duration of strike, then sent him to the reserves for extended period of time to regain match fitness, I don't see how they would be breaching the contract. Player would lose a lot of money, and they could only complain to their agents because legally everything would be fine.

I'm quite sure there is a mechanism for a player to hand in a transfer request and leave the club. If there isn't, there should definitely be one, but this is not the way.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This Emile Smith-Rowe?

Not sure I buy this, especially to Chelsea unless they massively overpay. But I do think ESR not getting minutes is going to be a running theme and that's sad. His directness from midfield is exactly what we need, which is why Viera looked awesome as LCM and Havertz doesn't.