Pat Rothfuss XVIII: Whereof one cannot speak...

Gaston de Foix

13 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Good news! A whole bunch of merchandise available on World Builders, join twitch now to see!

Blah.

It's been observed by people before that both his apologies and talk about his mental health seem to coincide with new opportunities to give him money. (Kickstarters, charity drives, merch, etc) 

Would have been really funny if the sample chapter was just an 80 page sex scene.  Kvothe in an orgy giving everyone climax after climax, suckin' and fuckin', while the antagonist (forget his name) uses sympathy to try to make Kvothe go limp.  Kvothe's lovers crying because he's the Best Lover that Ever Loved.  But where's what's-her-face? She must have slipped out right when the freakfest started...

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Would have been really funny if the sample chapter was just an 80 page sex scene.  Kvothe in an orgy giving everyone climax after climax, suckin' and fuckin', while the antagonist (forget his name) uses sympathy to try to make Kvothe go limp.  Kvothe's lovers crying because he's the Best Lover that Ever Loved.  But where's what's-her-face? She must have slipped out right when the freakfest started...

So you’ve read my fanfic “The Adores of Bone”, sequel to “The Size Man’s Spear”?

In this day, I am kind of surprised there aren’t pro fanfic writers on retainer at a publishing house who could churn out a book knock-off based on an outline, or some kind of AI-based solution that would be in a multi-book deal contract, i.e., you must deliver on this schedule or we write it for you and you get to edit it - seems like it would have helped in this situation.

20 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Finish your series in X years or we gain the right to finish it and you get Brandon Sanderson-ed to a finish.

Nobody would be happy but there would be a book.

Or may there’s a “Benioff and Weiss will be forced to complete your series under duress” :P

• 4 weeks later...

The Narrow Road Between Desires debuted at number 6 on the NYT list.

Rothfuss may no longer be the powerhouse he used to be, but still a beefed up short story performed better out of the gate than Jim Butcher and Martha Wells' newest titles.

Which means that TDoS should easily top the bestseller list upon release unless Stephen King or John Grisham or another superstar gets their book out the same week.

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

Rothfuss may no longer be the powerhouse he used to be, but still a beefed up short story performed better out of the gate than Jim Butcher and Martha Wells' newest titles.

Which means that TDoS should easily top the bestseller list upon release unless Stephen King or John Grisham or another superstar gets their book out the same week.

Saw it in the store yesterday, it’s a library checkout at best for me. 

A woman in my Nanowrimo region has written 650k words this month (not a typo). God knows what the quality is like, but you can’t fix what’s not there.

Maybe Rothfuss could get her to write DoS

I’m just under 15k words so far this month

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

On 11/25/2023 at 7:44 PM, Lord Patrek said:

I didn't know that Butcher had a new book out.

• 2 weeks later...

Read The Narrow Road Between Desires. It was...fine?

I'm probably going to go back and read The Lightning Tree, because I'm having trouble putting my finger on what was different, despite it being about 50% longer. Maybe it's been too long, or I just wasn't a careful reader, because nothing leapt out at me as being new, different, or cool. 

21 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Read The Narrow Road Between Desires. It was...fine?

I'm probably going to go back and read The Lightning Tree, because I'm having trouble putting my finger on what was different, despite it being about 50% longer. Maybe it's been too long, or I just wasn't a careful reader, because nothing leapt out at me as being new, different, or cool. 

I just finished it yesterday and haven't read TLT for a long time either.

One obvious change is fewer strictly male-female relationships. I'm less sure on the rest. I feel like his fae magic was explained more in-depth and maybe the gift freely given stuff (or not) was new. It's been too long to really know.

I reread Auri's story right before starting this one. I'd rate that as much better than this. Overall, I felt this was kind of flat. Just didn't hit as well as hoped. I'm not certain why.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

3 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I  Overall, I felt this was kind of flat. Just didn't hit as well as hoped. I'm not certain why.

Maybe because fundamentally it's just a day in the life vignette. And so if you make it longer without adding events it just feels padded out and less focused?

But that's just a guess.