Pat Rothfuss XVIII: Whereof one cannot speak...

Gaston de Foix

22 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Agreed. Also more unique and possibly a flavor some wouldn't like.

But much better overall, imo.

Slow Regard of Slient Things is really rather unique and charming.  The new novella is a long short story.  Neither unique nor charming in the way SRoST is.

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Slow Regard of Slient Things is really rather unique and charming.  The new novella is a long short story.  Neither unique nor charming in the way SRoST is.

I think The Slow Regard of Silent Things is the best thing Rothfuss has written. Primarily because Kvothe isn't in it.

5 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Hey everybody, there is no new update. 

Repeat, no update. 

Thanks! From recent buzz at the various message boards, I had anticipated that something like this would be right around the corner! My level of hype is definitely sustained after hearing this.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:21 PM, Ninefingers said:

Hey everybody, there is no new update. 

Repeat, no update. 

And no “super geek Avengers read through” of a full non-introduction chapter from TDoS either…

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

This is terribly disappointing, folks. Only five replies after a three-month thread hiatus. Where's the ire that I've come to love and expect? Where's the dripping contempt? We have as much will to gripe as Rothfuss has to write.

:P 

I bet Doors of Stone is a total fuckfest.  Like, after living with the sex ninjas and and the Felurian side quest, he's loses all interest in things school and revenge related.  He just dives fully into his sexuality and fucks his way across (whatever the name of the land in this story is).  

My theory is that the book has been completed for years, Rothfuss wasn't lying, he's just been at a stand-off with the publisher, who refuses to print it as it is.  Way too many fae fannies and sorcerous schlongs flying around.

6 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Way too many fae fannies and sorcerous schlongs flying around.

Fifty Shades of Doors?

10 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

I bet Doors of Stone is a total fuckfest.  Like, after living with the sex ninjas and and the Felurian side quest, he's loses all interest in things school and revenge related.  He just dives fully into his sexuality and fucks his way across (whatever the name of the land in this story is).  

My theory is that the book has been completed for years, Rothfuss wasn't lying, he's just been at a stand-off with the publisher, who refuses to print it as it is.  Way too many fae fannies and sorcerous schlongs flying around.

plot twist, Kvothe steps up with his fae sex skills, is rejected, and births the incel movement in whatever this world is called. (forgive me, its been so many years since I last read now)

Edited by HexMachina

10 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

9 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Pretty sure I saw the Fae Fannies open for the Sorcerous Schlongs at Download festival once.

I don't know where the authors of the above are from themselves, but as someone who's never read Rothfuss, does he really use the word "fannies" to describe female genitalia? That would be remarkable for an American author. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I don't know where the authors of the above are from themselves, but as someone who's never read Rothfuss, does he really use the word "fannies" to describe female genitalia? That would be remarkable for an American author. 

He doesn't, I was just going for the alliteration and figured that with our pan-anglosphere board at least some would assume the raunchier meaning rather than the quaint American one.  

As a total tangent that I thought of prior to Ormond's question:

My dearly departed grandmother was super, super Catholic and in her house we didn't even say "darn" let alone and actual cuss word. But she would say "move your fanny" if she needed a kid to slide a seat down on the sofa. It was about as innocent a way as possible in my youth as a term for one's rear end. I don't think we would have even said "tush" without a glare from her.

Anyway when I moved to NYC to work proper Irish pubs, I found out the more original slang meaning, and why my Irish and Scots friends found it so funny when American tourists in Manhattan wore Fanny Packs around.

On topic, at least moreso; I just had a bar customer last week with whom I had a lovely chat about modern fantasy fic. She ranked Rothfuss among her favorites (along with two other authors whom I don't recall ever hearing mentioned on this board, can't recall their names). She wrote down a good dozen or so of my recs, 100% of which are from this forum. Trying the Murderbot series first after her delight in my plot summary. I'll never see her again but I hope she loves them.