UK Politics: No Bully XL for you

Maltaran

while as a non-parent and too old to have personal experiance I agree that phones when in a classroom is porbably not a good thing and can be a distraction.  I am also sure that most shcools already have a handle on this and allready have rules abotu mobile phones and the use of them.  I am however certain the schools know better than I do.

It is not the goverments place to interfere here.  its not needed shcools are allready doing whats needed.  It just sounds like they are doing something and care about edducation without needing to do anything.  and there are so much more important things they could be doing instead.

It appears pretty much all schools already prevent kids having phones on them as it is, so this is just more posturing, fixing a problem that isn’t a problem. Of course I’d be pretty disturbed if my kid was going to a school that allowed phones I’d probably pull them out and send them somewhere else.

I’ve got no problem with government laying down guidance about the issue, not sure why make a comparison to overly restrictive traffic speeds.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, BigFatCoward said:

surely its - 

high taxes = good services or low taxes = poor services, not high taxes = poor services.

Under neo-liberal doctrine, taxes are primarily meant to stimulate the economy and guarantee it follows free-market principles rather than guarantee quality public services, so that once growth is achieved, everyone can get a share of its benefits.
You can't get good public services because that would be the State interfering in the economy, and privatised services will work better anyway.
And yes, the longer you think about it, the less sense it makes, but the basic principle is that States have to pay for stuff, because reasons, and if they didn't have to and actually helped populations have a decent standard of living without wage slavery, people might be far less inclined to accept shitty jobs and shitty salaries.
But don't worry, it'll be fine in the end, once you finally get enough economic growth for your capitalist overlords to feel generous again. Which should happen... any day now. Just don't hold your breath.

Farage is there , apparently, and Truss govong speeches. Speculation that there’s a push to radicalise the party more to the right rather than prepare for a centre-swing.

Imho they know the next GE is lost, Sunak is done, and they’re preparing for Opposition, going the same route the US Republicans went (with the same people backing both). Truss may even think she can get back in.

Even on a purely performance level, that was pretty bad. Stumbling speech, exaggerated and clumsy gesturing, stagey tone of voice. She looks like she read about sincerity somewhere and tried to practice it in front of a mirror.

It takes some gall to get up at the Tory conference and complain about people who're insulated from reality by their privilege, but to be fair, they do it every year. They're telling the highly privileged delegates what they want to hear: that their grab bag of incoherent, unexamined prejudices are just realism and 'common sense'.

If you really want to insulate someone from reality - praise them for being a realist.

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

She's lost her fucking mind. 

We all must tell our truths.  She came out and did it -- only the wealthy and powerful have human rights -- are human.

That was a pretty mental speech. I can only assume they’re trying to court the working class vote, and trying to sell the idea that two of their boogeymen (the Rich and the Woke) are actually the same? What? I was genuinely confused that I’d missed a section when she started talking about people who advocate for human rights “in their ivory towers”. I don’t associate woke with rich in the slightest. 

Yeah, so this looks entirely staged. Why were all those goons, and all the press photographers, and even the police, standing right next to him before he starts 'heckling'? There was even a security guard sat directly behind him. 

Anyway, this entire conference has been deeply unsettling. They are openly saying things they would not have dared a decade ago. Absolutely chiling. 

Edited by Spockydog

It always makes me groan that conservative in high office who are 1%ers still can call others elites as a slur and get away with it. And also, our platform is cut taxes for the wealthy, but please ignore that. 

41 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

That was a pretty mental speech. I can only assume they’re trying to court the working class vote, and trying to sell the idea that two of their boogeymen (the Rich and the Woke) are actually the same? What? I was genuinely confused that I’d missed a section when she started talking about people who advocate for human rights “in their ivory towers”. I don’t associate woke with rich in the slightest. 

I think it’s all connecting to the ‘new elite’ that Matthew Goodwin talks about in his book Values Voice and virtue.

https://www.mattgoodwin.org/p/rise-of-the-new-elite

Rather than referring to ‘rich’ people, who would be considered the old elite (Boris Johnson), the new elite are the sort of university educated managerial class who will vote Labour and be the most outraged by someone like Braverman. It’s also the sort of Somewhere / Anywhere dynamic David Goodhart talks about in Road to Somewhere. 

I think Goodwin tends to over egg it a bit to sell books but I think the difference seems pretty obvious, and that’s what the Tories are trying to play up. 

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:
She's lost her fucking mind. 

People at the top of conservative political movements are well aware that too much fairness in international affairs (granting human rights to refugees or actually doing something about climate change) would eventually call into question domestic inequalities.
Presenting defenders of human rights as privileged is a great strategy for people who are actually privileged to make sure the attention stays away from them. If developed countries started acting morally, the cost of that action would in fact have to come from somewhere, and since working-class folks are struggling enough as it is, it wouldn't take long for a wealth tax to become extremely popular.
Another way to put it is that economic inequalities are already bordering on the unacceptable as it is. Add climate change and the immigration it entails, and it will only be possible to preserve them by force. Making sure people keep believing immigration and human rights are the problem is the perfect short-term strategy to maintain the status quo through elections.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm a bit conflicted, i don't think I've ever found a Tory attractive before. 

When did David Coulthard become a Tory?

Also, levelling up is going well, any of the recent Northern pick ups are fucking toast now. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Was about to post that.

Saying some labour members are pushing for it is very disingenuous; there are Tories pushing for all sorts of crazy stuff but it doesn’t make it party policy.