UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

What is happening with Nicola Sturgeon and her husband anyway? I just checked on line for stories about the investigations with regard to misuse of donated funds, and the police keep arresting one or the other and then releasing them without charge. Isn’t that an abuse of process? Did they think getting arrested would scare them into a confession?

59 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What is happening with Nicola Sturgeon and her husband anyway? I just checked on line for stories about the investigations with regard to misuse of donated funds, and the police keep arresting one or the other and then releasing them without charge. Isn’t that an abuse of process? Did they think getting arrested would scare them into a confession?

They don’t ‘keep arresting’ them. They were detained once (i think) and had half of Policr Scoand camped in their garden at one point, but so far as I’m aware it’s still an investigation.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Stephen Baker trying to rewrite the Good Friday Agreement twenty-five years after the fact. Obviously it has not gone down well, and the UK government has quickly backpedalled from the idea.

I do think that major constitutional change should require a super-majority (or 50%+1 of the electorate, rather than of those who chose to vote). But you can't rewrite the rules just because you feel like it.

Avanti have cut the number of trains operating between London and Manchester on Saturdays by 40% until 2024. Good thing they were granted a new contract about 2 weeks ago then.

I'm not particularly ideologically opposed to train services being privately operated but if they're going to be this shit really what's the point?

Does Britbox really think anyone wants to watch

"This England Premieres November 1. Drama following the events surrounding Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his government in the face of the first wave of COVID-19."

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Does Britbox really think anyone wants to watch

"This England Premieres November 1. Drama following the events surrounding Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his government in the face of the first wave of COVID-19."

Maybe they think people will watch because the ongoing inquiry is a hot topic just now?

46 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Maybe they think people will watch because the ongoing inquiry is a hot topic just now?

But a dramatic/scripted show?  This isn't a documentary. Even not a Brit, I know how badly he and his behaved during covid, and I don't want to provide money to enable a sympathy viewpoint, which generally happens with scripted anything with the centered figure.  That's how it works, sadly.  Sheesh, put a serial killer cannibal as the lead on screen and the audience pulls for him. 

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Avanti have cut the number of trains operating between London and Manchester on Saturdays by 40% until 2024. Good thing they were granted a new contract about 2 weeks ago then.

I'm not particularly ideologically opposed to train services being privately operated but if they're going to be this shit really what's the point?

The train contract system is fairly dysfunctional. The biggest recurring issue is that the TOCs (Train Operating Companies) start winding down investment in services well before the contract ends: why spend substantial sums to improve services 18 months before your contract ends and another company benefits from that spending afterwards? As a result they have to be either kept happy with a nod or a wink that their contract is going to be renewed well before negotiations take place, or they simply run services into the ground before reinvesting again at the start of the next period.

OTOH, there is a legitimate issue with costs inflating out of control. With zero government subsidies (unlike almost every other company in Europe and most in the world) to keep costs down, all the costs of running the rail service have to get lumped on the consumer. Considering rail prices were already fucking insane before the pandemic, the knock-on effects of the pandemic, an apparently permanently reduced need for services (thanks to WFH taking off), staffing disputes with the union, safety disputes, service cost rises etc have all combined to make the rail service as we know it almost untenable. The whole system needs to be overhauled in how it is funded and run.

43 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

And meanwhile thanks to Deutsche Bahn's investment in several British railway operators you fine people are funding my 48 Euro monthly ticket valid for almost all non-express trains in the entirety of Germany. :cheers:

regardless of who is subsidising, that is insane, does it still work in peak hours?  

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

regardless of who is subsidising, that is insane, does it still work in peak hours?  

Yes. Also on almost all public transport systems- buses, trams, and metro systems. Just not express trains. 

It's a subscription thing, so you can't just walk into a train station and buy one - it's either on your phone or on something like an oystercard equivalent. But nonetheless, yeah, it's a mad deal. 

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

The whole system needs to be overhauled in how it is funded and run.

The current government have made it perfectly clear they don't give a single fuck about rail. Transport policy under Sunak is more roads, more cars, driving is sacred above all. Hopefully Labour have more sense. 

2 hours ago, mormont said:

The current government have made it perfectly clear they don't give a single fuck about rail. Transport policy under Sunak is more roads, more cars, driving is sacred above all. Hopefully Labour have more sense. 

What do you expect? he wants us to be America, worshipping wealth, and all that goes along with that - from privatised health, poor people starving and pedestrians considered an underclass (though he may not go as far as gun ownership - probably because he'd fear a revolution than any ethical qualms though)