US Politics: Dominoes falling, GOP failing, what a time to be alive!

LongRider

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I always believed some massive calamity would shake Republicans from their insanity, 

they should try to swim on the sun. 

Maybe that is the calamity you were looking for?  A mass Ikarus effect? ;)

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that's that. So now we have a Speaker who wants to ban all abortions, thinks climate change is made up, thinks LGBTQ+ individuals have no rights, voted to overturn the election, defend Trump and says he did nothing wrong and also wants teachers to lead prayers in schools, but only Christian ones. 

I think you'd have a difficult time finding a House Republican who doesn't fit that bill, at least in most ways.

9 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I think you'd have a difficult time finding a House Republican who doesn't fit that bill, at least in most ways.

Actually I think the only one of those my representative, Don Bacon, fits is the abortion one.  

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Actually I think the only one of those my representative, Don Bacon, fits is the abortion one.  

He's a RINO then.

Trump called for a conservative primary challenger to oppose Bacon’s reelection bid during the 2022 midterms last January over Bacon’s support for Biden’s $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure package. Trump initially called for challengers to Bacon and the dozen other Republicans who voted for the bill, but then he specifically singled out Bacon. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Well, according to Trump's use of the word, of course.

According to traditional definitions of Republicanism, it's Trump who's the RINO and Bacon who is the traditional conservative, but then I'm sure everyone on this thread knows that already. 

Remember how tylaughed when they killed off Emmer's speaker ambitions, It felt like it was yesterday....

Anyway, lesson to be learnt, cheer for the guy who meets the minimum requirements, likesay voting to certify an election and votes for protecting same sex marriage. The Republican caucus doesn't have such a deep pool of serious politicians, that you can afford to be picky.

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well, according to Trump's use of the word, of course.

According to traditional definitions of Republicanism, it's Trump who's the RINO and Bacon who is the traditional conservative, but then I'm sure everyone on this thread knows that already. 

Things change and parties change and move. That isn't what a Republican is any more. I'd also say that he isn't particularly traditional anyway; he has supported major tax cuts and spending increases, as an example. 

But ultimately it doesn't really matter. He's not a Republican, because being a Republican means being fully on board with Trump. If you're not that you're not a Republican. 

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Things change and parties change and move. That isn't what a Republican is any more. I'd also say that he isn't particularly traditional anyway; he has supported major tax cuts and spending increases, as an example. 

But ultimately it doesn't really matter. He's not a Republican, because being a Republican means being fully on board with Trump. If you're not that you're not a Republican. 

Look,  you know that legally a Republican is anyone who is registered as a Republican.

And Bacon's challenger in 2022 only got 22% of the votes in the Republican primary, so I guess according to you 78% of those who voted in the Republican primary in my district in 2022 aren't Republicans. (And Republicans do not have open primaries in Nebraska, so they all had to be registered as Republicans on election day.)

I realize Nebraska's 2nd district is rather unique in many ways. :)

Edited by Ormond

29 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Look,  you know that legally a Republican is anyone who is registered as a Republican.

The only law that is recognized is the one Trump makes

29 minutes ago, Ormond said:

And Bacon's challenger in 2022 only got 22% of the votes in the Republican primary, so I guess according to you 78% of those who voted in the Republican primary in my district in 2022 aren't Republicans. (And Republicans do not have open primaries in Nebraska, so they all had to be registered as Republicans on election day.)

Yep, all RINOs. I suspect Nebraska or at least that district will be soon kicked out of the US

New speaker of the House Mike Johnson once wrote in support of the criminalization of gay sex

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/politics/mike-johnson-gay-sex-criminalization-kfile/index.html

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson has a history of harsh anti-gay language from his time as an attorney for a socially conservative legal group in the mid-2000s.

In editorials that ran in his local Shreveport, Louisiana, paper, The Times, Johnson called homosexuality a “inherently unnatural” and “dangerous lifestyle” that would lead to legalized pedophilia and possibly even destroy “the entire democratic system.”

And, in another editorial, he wrote, “Your race, creed, and sex are what you are, while homosexuality and cross-dressing are things you do,” he wrote. “This is a free country, but we don’t give special protections for every person’s bizarre choices.”

The new speaker of the House is in a 'covenant marriage,' a religiously-influenced legal agreement that makes it harder to get a divorce

https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-johnson-covenant-marriage-definition-divorce-speaker-house-2023-10

~~~~~~~~~~

Additionally -- 

Senate committee finds Clarence Thomas committed six-figure tax fraud

Justice Thomas’s R.V. Loan Was Forgiven, Senate Inquiry Finds
The justice failed to repay much, perhaps all, of the $267,230 loan. His benefactor wiped the slate clean, with ethical and potential tax consequences.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/us/politics/clarence-thomas-rv-loan-senate-inquiry.html

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

New speaker of the House Mike Johnson once wrote in support of the criminalization of gay sex

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/politics/mike-johnson-gay-sex-criminalization-kfile/index.html

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not quite - Johnson is a smart Constitutional Law expert, taught as a law professor, way above PP’s pay grade.

:P There's nothing smart about this guy. 

What is the Republican Party trying to accomplish at this point? They seem to be embracing more and more extreme positions. Do they not realise that an ever smaller proportion of the population shares those views? If they keep it up, they probably won’t ever be able to win another election ( fingers crossed).