Ridley Scott's Napoleon

Werthead

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

My father groaned while watching the movie, despite not being a Roman scholar, as he knew enough history that it took him out of the movie.

The very idea that Marcus Aurelius was concerned with restoring the Republic after all those centuries!  Stirrups! Riding a single horse all the way from wherever on the other side of the Alps to Hispania!  In a couple of days! :rofl:

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

The very idea that Marcus Aurelius was concerned with restoring the Republic after all those centuries!  Stirrups! Riding a single horse all the way from wherever on the other side of the Alps to Hispania!  In a couple of days! :rofl:

To be fair, even during the Roman Empire, Romans themselves still referred to it as a Republic right? And the Emperor as First Citizen? They wanted to maintain the facade of the Republic, so maybe Aurelius meant restoring the 'Republic'(Current Empire) back to its glory days? 

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

To be fair, even during the Roman Empire, Romans themselves still referred to it as a Republic right? And the Emperor as First Citizen? They wanted to maintain the facade of the Republic, so maybe Aurelius meant restoring the 'Republic'(Current Empire) back to its glory days? 

There was no facade about Republic by his time. It was the era of the apex of Empire -- Aurelius's father was Hadrian's nephew, making Marcus Aurelius Hadrian's grand-nephew. 

People who talked of the Republic would be in danger -- at the very least -- of being labeled traitors, not anything anyone wanted to be accused of already, long ago, and particularly starting in the days of Domitian - who wasn't even a nut case like Caligula.

Nor does one see any longing for the Republic in Aurelius's writings.

Edited by Zorral

I saw it. Other than the battle sequences which reminded me of Empire Total War(in a good way) I didn’t enjoy this movie guys. 

I didn’t get to know Napoleon at all by the end, his relationships with his army (why do they like him at all), Josephine is the only decently written character but it wasn’t enough for me. I also think at a certain point the movie jumps ahead waay to quickly, completely skipping the peninsular war and other major events in his life….i hope the Steven Spielberg documentary turns out to be better.

Enjoyed the last duel and the duellists way more then this, both set in the same time period.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Its a bad sign if it reminded you of Empire Total War and not Napoleon Total War. 

Haha I don’t play Napoleon cause I’ve modded Empire to have the game in it for free :P  so dont worry that’s covered! They actually showed square formations and cavalry charges in the Waterloo scenes which looked exactly like the games. CA used to be so good at this stuff. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Ignorance was bliss for me over the long holiday wknd as I was able to enjoy it as an IMAX spectacle largely unawares of which scenes were historically accurate and which were creative license.

I enjoyed the way the end credits made sure not to glorify the little warmonger though, listing his battles and how many troops he led to slaughter in each campaign and cumatively. The message was soundly that the carnage was not something that should be emulated or awed over.

That was at least a small lesson to close with.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Haha I don’t play Napoleon cause I’ve modded Empire to have the game in it for free :P  so dont worry that’s covered! They actually showed square formations and cavalry charges in the Waterloo scenes which looked exactly like the games. CA used to be so good at this stuff. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Oh shame, I always preferred Napoleon TW. It might in fact be the reason I am excited to see this movie.

I recently tried playing Napoleon TW because of how everyone keeps saying it's better than Empire (Napoleon is the only TW game I never truly played). I was doing the tutorial campaign with Napoleon when some sound issue started going on. I promptly uninstalled it. IMO, both games are not worth my time. The naval battles are the only interesting thing.