I… HATE… SMOKING!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

48 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Are you seriously comparing drugs and cigarettes to factory farmed meat ? 

The comparison is “clean” vs not, and every time people make that distinction, it’s always some personal arbitrary line without much data to backup their anecdotes, because lifestyle factors are hard to have great studies on.
 I know people who only consider grass-fed meat “clean”, people who only consume organic cannabis, etcetera.  Cigarettes and tobacco have some well-documented bad health outcomes:  No argument there.  But you cannot smuggle “THC bad because my friend had a bad time, and I think there might be long term effects ” into the “not clean” club with that standard.

Edited by VigoTheCarpathian
Clarity

On 11/15/2023 at 3:00 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Boggles my mind that people would still voluntarily put poison in their bodies in this day and age with the information at their disposal.This is not just against tobacco smokers mind you- but also alcohol, weed and other shit. I don’t care what studies say about weed, it still fries your brain cells,serves as a gateway drug and is definitely addictive.

Treat your body like a temple people.

That doesn't sound like much fun. You do you and let others do them.
Here for a good time not a long time.

Edited by lessthanluke

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

That doesn't sound like much fun. You do you and let others do them.
Here for a good time not a long time.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” 

― Hunter S. Thompson

'lets agree to disagree' is such a ludicrous response when you're so obviously wrong.

Anyway the person who sleeps 10 hours a night and thinks that's a sign of health has no business lecturing anyone else about theirs. Go see a doctor my guy.

Edited by polishgenius

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

'lets agree to disagree' is such a ludicrous response when you're so obviously wrong.

Anyway the person who sleeps 10 hours a night and thinks that's a sign of health has no business lecturing anyone else about theirs. Go see a doctor my guy.

Let People have their pleasures (in the privacy of their own homes) be it pot or naps.

43 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Let People have their pleasures (in the privacy of their own homes) be it pot or naps.

He's welcome to his naps. He just shouldn't claim objective rightness about lifestyle when he's displaying such a clear sign of ill health

Edited by polishgenius

12 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I was reading that the Vancouver government is now even allowing addicts access to heroine to avoid them ODing on the stuff….the Canadian Government’ has gone insane. Ditto with other Western countries.I guess all the lobbying money and taxes to be made from these drugs give them incentives….not to mention owning those business themselves and the vote banks from these groups…and in the end what it costs is ruining the lives of people, albeit in a ‘legal’ way. I know I wouldn’t want any kids in a state where they allow people to smoke this shit out in public for sure…what next - legalise Cocaine and Meth again ? How about MDMA or LSD cause they’re ‘soft’ drugs right ? Sigh, the worlds becoming a madhouse…

You do know that there is a lot of evidence that legalising drugs reduces unnecessary harm? That there is no correlation whatsoever between legal status of a drug and its harmfulness? That the majority of doctors, nurses, healthcare workers, psychologists and other professionals that work with drug addicts or people with drug related problems are supporters of drug legalisation? Why not follow their advice, given that you seem to follow their advice pretty thoroughly when it comes to your own health? What the Government in Vancouver is doing now btw has been done in my Country for 30 years with magnificent results, we went from a country with a massive opiate crisis to one where its basically nonexistent.

Back to the original topic: I don't like smoke at all, never have, no matter the source (fire, tobacco, weed, etc.) It's also proven to be unhealthy. I prefer weed smoke to tobacco smoke and find cigars worse than cigarettes and pipes.

Something that is rarely mentioned: cigarette butts are in most western countries the nr 1 item that is not thrown away properly, and it's generally among the top two food poisoning item that necessitates hospitalization for babys(the other being medications), and a single butt pollutes more than 40 liters of drink water and it's not biodegradable at all!

So please if you smoke (I live with a smoker, so I know that people will always smoke) please don't just throw your cigarette butts on the ground. And try to be somewhat respectful to your environment.

Edited by Bironic

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's welcome to his naps. He just shouldn't claim objective rightness about lifestyle when he's displaying such a clear sign of ill health

I know your primary intention here is snark, but just in case anyone thinks needing 10 hours of sleep is actually a sign of ill health, there's a lot of room for individual differences in how much people need to feel rested and refreshed, even spanning to 12 hours from some people. I'm an 8-hour guy, but I don't worry about people needing 12, as long as they're feeling happy and healthy.

1 hour ago, Bironic said:

Something that is rarely mentioned: cigarette butts are in most western countries the nr 1 item that is not thrown away properly, and it's generally among the top two food poisoning item that necessitates hospitalization for babys(the other being medications), and a single butt pollutes more than 40 liters of drink water and it's not biodegradable at all!

So please if you smoke (I live with a smoker, so I know that people will always smoke) please don't just throw your cigarette butts on the ground. And try to be somewhat respectful to your environment.

I work in a uni library, and every year we have a staff day where one segment is a prof coming in to discuss their current research projects. One year, it was a biology prof who studies starlings (which are an invasive species here. Bloody colonists), and she has bird boxes all over the campus. 

One thing that she said she always tries to get across to people, is that if you smoke, make sure you dispose the butt properly. She said that one of the most common things found in all the bird boxes is the fibreglass from the filters that the birds gather to use in their nests. One of her projects was gathering data on the effects of nicotine on the development of the birds. Let's just say, it's not good.

I used to be a regular smoker, now I smoke when I drink. The connection between the two is a hard one to break. Mr. Tyr hates cigarettes, but he is a massive, chronic, high functioning weed smoker. What he smokes in a day would have lasted me for a month back when I puffed. Luckily, we can legally grow it and have two grow tents in the basement, so it cuts down on the expense. I used to love hash, but never really cared for weed. I don't smoke either, because now it makes me too anxious, then hungry, then giggly, then sleepy all at the same time. Whenever he gets a chunk of hash though, I always smell it, coz daaaammnn that shit smells good. 

On 11/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Interesting.  I was born in 1971.  Both parents smoked.  Both sets of Grandparents smoked.  All my mother’s sisters smoked.  Only my father’s sister didn’t.

I have… always… always… always loathed smoking.

Born in '83, both parents smoked, though my mom stopped during both pregnancies and didn't et back to it after giving birth to my sister when I was 3. Still, my father more than made up for her quitting smoking. I was too small to remember, but my mom keeps telling the stories where I would go around our table and past my father and our guests to get to the window to open it and let the smoke out and clear air in.

It's a vile habit in my book, and smoking was banned in my room when living with my parents and in every apartment I paid rent or mortgage for. Sure, you are entitled to smoking but you are not entitled to do it in the space I own.

In later years in high school and early college years, most of my friends used to smoke. Hanging out with them was great in general, but reeking of cigarette smoke afterwards sucked. Luckily, most of them have quit since then but smoking is still allowed in bars and clubs in Serbia so even going out with a bunch of non-smokers is not a guarantee you wouldn't stink of tobacco smoke afterwards. Every couple of years the subject of banning smoking in bars and restaurants comes up and there's a huge uproar from the public so it never happens. :( 

22 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I don’t know man, clean living is a pretty objective, health related term. The clean dosent refer to moral issues, rather ‘clean from unhealthy toxins’. I certainly didn’t use it to convey moralistic disgust, let me be clear. Just used it in the fitness context. If people took any other meanings from it than I apologise. 

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions...

First, how old are you and what do you do for a living? What are your day-to-day responsibilities? 

Second, I see you live in Bombay. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, that's in India. How much of a world outside of India have you seen and in what capacity? Have you just gone on vacations or dealt with people from other cultures on a daily basis etc.? Nothing agains India but having your opinions shaped by one surrounding and culture, as rich as it might be, is not the best way to encourage open-mindedness. 

I might be wrong but I'm getting an impression you are a young person who's still in school (whether it's high school or university or whatever) and hasn't yet expanded his horizons that come with extra responsibilities, exposure to different points of view and various kinds of life experiences etc. so you think there's only one right way to do things and, lo and behold, it just happens to be the way you do it.

Just to clarify, not saying you're a bad person because of it or anything like that, and please don't take it as such. I was the same back in the day and I assume the same goes for many, if not all, other members of this board and humanity in general. But you need to be aware that it's just a stepping stone and that one day you will look back at your positions during this period and laugh and/or cringe. Just like most/all of us do.

I'm 26 and I've travelled to North America(USA, Canada) more than 10 times, to both coasts and the Midwest and have been to Europe(Greece,Turkey,Spain,UK) 3 times in the last decade, plus a bunch of times as a kid. Also been to the Middle East(Dubai and Bahrain), South East Asia (Singapore,Malaysia,Indonesia),Bhutan and will be covering South Africa in December this year.

Working at Cisco if you guys must know.

Anyways I'm not discussing anything more in this topic, looking at the vitriolic responses that have been directed at me, not interested in that, thanks. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

I grew up with parents who didn't smoke, but one of our neighbors who babysat us sometimes (and who owned an NES that my family wouldn't get for a few years) chain-smoked in her apartment.  Also, as far back as I can remember, my eldest sister was constantly smoking, but never inside. I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood, so a lot of the kids there were smoking by middle school, and when I started working in a kitchen everyone would go outside for a smoke break. And once I started going to concerts, I would always come home reeking of stale smoke.

I can appreciate the social ritual of smoking (this was especially salient at my first job), but man, how I hated that smell of stale smoke. It just smells like ass. By the time I was 21, I became really bitter about the ubiquity of smoking in bars and clubs. My sister and her husband would get all defensive and talk about their right to do what they want....but I don't have a right to take a shit on the dancefloor--I need to go to a specified area, and not impose myself on everyone else.

All of this is say that I have seen leaps and bounds in policies and norms for smoking in public spaces in the past 10 years or so, and I really appreciate it. At least where I've been living: Philly, NYC, Montreal, and DC. I'm sure it differs depending on where you are. But I am very happy with the change. I will always hate the entitled thoughtlessness of certain smokers, but at least now their kind is the runt of the larger culture. It was a lot worse just a few decades back, so I appreciate how far we've come.

18 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” 

― Hunter S. Thompson

Idk, the man may have taken things a bit too far:

46 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I'm 26 and I've travelled to North America(USA, Canada) more than 10 times, to both coasts and the Midwest and have been to Europe(Greece,Turkey,Spain,UK) 3 times in the last decade, plus a bunch of times as a kid. Also been to the Middle East(Dubai and Bahrain), South East Asia (Singapore,Malaysia,Indonesia),Bhutan and will be covering South Africa in December this year.

Working at Cisco if you guys must know.

Anyways I'm not discussing anything more in this topic, looking at the vitriolic responses that have been directed at me, not interested in that, thanks. 

I wouldn't take it personally. People simply don't like statements that sound judgmental. Even when there's a solid argument behind it, it rankles. So when the argument is less than solid, a smackdown surely cometh. To be clear, though, I wasn't smacking you down in my comment, just the tired "gateway drug" argument.

If you're going to come at someone's lifestyle choices, you better come correct, and even then expect some snark. But more often than not, best to let people live their own lives, and accept that other people might be seeing things that we don't.