UK Politics: Rwanda Rehash

Maltaran

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Laurence Fox lost his libel trial - he was found guilty of libelling two people, calling them paedos.

His counter-suit, that they harmed his reputation by calling him a racist lost - thr judge referred to his twitter antics, blacking up and making the pride flag into a swastika

https://news.sky.com/story/laurence-fox-libelled-two-men-when-he-referred-to-them-as-paedophiles-high-court-judge-rules-13059482

Note that the judge didn't rule on whether Fox is or isn't a racist, he lost on the basis that being called a racist by those specific people didn't damage his reputation.

I don't know enough about Fox to know if he was always like this. Maybe he was an OK guy for a while? Wanting to give Billie Piper an out for having been so intimately associated with him.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't know enough about Fox to know if he was always like this. Maybe he was an OK guy for a while? Wanting to give Billie Piper an out for having been so intimately associated with him.

I have no idea what happened, but he was a student at the very upper crust school Harrow, when he was expelled a few weeks before taking his A-levels. He couldn’t get into any university due to a report about him from Harrow. There may be something out there on the internet explaining what he did, but I haven’t bothered looking. Presumably it was about cheating, but maybe it was something more, Sex, drugs and cheating?

I'd be surprised if sex and drugs would get you kicked from a UK public school, unless you're a scholarship student from the lower classes. But I can imagine cheating being a deal breaker and being something a school would warn universities about.

Or am I reading the [im]moral compass of UK public schools wrong?

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He wasn't a right-wing mascot till like Brexit, no. 

Also it's pretty clear Billie Piper's relationship decisions when she was young weren't being made with a clear head, considering her first husband was Chris Evans (the shit one), when she was 18 and he was 35. 

It's also clear that her marriage to Fox was at the very least really shit, if not potentially outright emotionally abusive. 

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have no idea what happened, but he was a student at the very upper crust school Harrow, when he was expelled a few weeks before taking his A-levels. He couldn’t get into any university due to a report about him from Harrow. There may be something out there on the internet explaining what he did, but I haven’t bothered looking. Presumably it was about cheating, but maybe it was something more, Sex, drugs and cheating?

I think he was expelled for bullying.

He apparently did gardening work for a while before getting into RADA, doibtless due to him being part of the Fox acting family.

According to him lrdviously, it was also largely due to an ‘indiscretion’ with a girl at a dance.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

I spend quite a lot of time in Harrow school for various reasons, loads of pictures of famous ex pupils, never seen one of him on prominent display.  Its insane the level of wealth and privilege there, deeply deeply offensive. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I spend quite a lot of time in Harrow school for various reasons, loads of pictures of famous ex pupils, never seen one of him on prominent display.  Its insane the level of wealth and privilege there, deeply deeply offensive. 

You've no idea the pride I felt in my nephew when his little school in Devon beat Harrow in the (rugby) schools cup.
Harrow flew down to Exeter to meet their bus to Kingsbridge.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'd be surprised if sex and drugs would get you kicked from a UK public school, unless you're a scholarship student from the lower classes. But I can imagine cheating being a deal breaker and being something a school would warn universities about.

Or am I reading the [im]moral compass of UK public schools wrong?

I suspect a long list of Conservative politicians attended Harrow. You know the saying about the playing fields of England? It seems like none of sex, drugs or cheating are things you get expelled for, if Parliament is any example. Maybe he was blackmailing somebody. :P

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

You've no idea the pride I felt in my nephew when his little school in Devon beat Harrow in the (rugby) schools cup.
Harrow flew down to Exeter to meet their bus to Kingsbridge.

Congrats to your little nephew’s school! 

“Harrow flew down”? Did you mean Fox flew down?

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Congrats to your little nephew’s school! 

“Harrow flew down”? Did you mean Fox flew down?

I think the implication is that Harrow sent their schoolboy rugby team by plane to play in Exeter, a journey that would otherwise be only about 190 miles, or a three-and-a-half hour drive.

Along with Eton (on whose playing fields it has been declared Wellington declared won the victory at Waterloo -- nope, Wellington didn't say that, and his career there was short and rather disgraceful), Harrow has long been one of the most commonly >ah-hem< chosen school for the education of the Brit royals (founded 1572, under royal charter, granted by Queen Elizabeth I).

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

He wasn't a right-wing mascot till like Brexit, no. 

Also it's pretty clear Billie Piper's relationship decisions when she was young weren't being made with a clear head, considering her first husband was Chris Evans (the shit one), when she was 18 and he was 35. 

It's also clear that her marriage to Fox was at the very least really shit, if not potentially outright emotionally abusive. 

Right. It is disappointing that her name is brought into the conversation every time he does something controversial or shitty.

So today I am on YT checking out a few channels I follow and up pops a Brendan Kavanaugh video. I occasionally watch his videos because I really enjoy the way he plays public pianos in England. Only this time he is in a bit of trouble with a few members of the Chinese government and/or their agents for videoing himself playing, in a public space, on a piano set up just for that purpose.

57 minutes ago, maarsen said:

So today I am on YT checking out a few channels I follow and up pops a Brendan Kavanaugh video. I occasionally watch his videos because I really enjoy the way he plays public pianos in England. Only this time he is in a bit of trouble with a few members of the Chinese government and/or their agents for videoing himself playing, in a public space, on a piano set up just for that purpose.

The internet has been making fun of these CCP people for quite some time now. There's pictures of them everywhere, just to make sure no one ever thinks they can be this annoying ever again.