Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Leave the World Behind Netflix,  decent movie with good performances, but mostly forgettable overall.

Reveal hidden contents

So why were the deer acting menacing at the one point and yet the youngest girl thought they were communicating w her?  How did flamingos fly that far in one day?

This is one of my problems with the film as well. I don't need everything explained, but plot point after plot point felt like they had written 80-90% of the script and then just left it as is. And then with the ending:

Spoiler

That kid sucked. All three kids really sucked, but she caused so many problems then gets her reward in the end. Ugh.

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Can anyone pinpoint the period in Hollywood movie/tv making history in which art, not making Great Big Profits, was the point?  :cheers:

Double or nothing if you can also do the same with the music industry. 

I can't say there's one single problem, but the general one be it movies and TV, music, sports etc. is that the entertainment industry is really just run the way a Wall St. banker would do things now. The film industry needs to be allowed to make movies that flop because some of them 10 years later turn out to be the best movie from that year. It's okay if something doesn't work out, you just need to be in the black net wise over a few years. However, these days there's more interest in efficiencies than the art that generates the wealth. I bet most studio heads could show me their new $5M painting without a thought as to why it's so beautiful.  

Edited by Tywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I guess you could point to the auteur led period of the 70s as a sort of heyday for art vs profits, but mainly because they sort of aligned for a short period of time. 

Yeah, the New Hollywood 70s was the period where for a time art was often profitable. Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show cleared $20 million in 1971 -- about $155 million today -- and that was a black-and-white film with a mostly-unknown ensemble cast set in a tiny, dusty Texan town where young people explore their coming of age.

That was the 8th highest grossing film of the year. #7? A Clockwork Orange (which, by the by, is on the Sight and Sound list of the 250 greatest films ever made).

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

:angry2:

I'm going to turn it up to :angry2: x10, Armageddon is better. There's a number of cheesy action films from the mid 80's to mid 90's that are better than Top Gun. Having the most homoerotic beach volleyball scene ever does not make a movie. :P 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also Troy was better. Double :P:P

You are wired wrong, @Tywin et al. 

Don't know if some serendipitous pharmaceuticals are to blame or if you were just born that way, but something isn't firing right in that noggin of yours, I do declare.

Edited by Ran

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, the New Hollywood 70s was the period where for a time art was often profitable. Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show cleared $20 million in 1971 -- about $155 million today -- and that was a black-and-white film with a mostly-unknown ensemble cast set in a tiny, dusty Texan town where young people explore their coming of age.

That was the 8th highest grossing film of the year. #7? A Clockwork Orange (which, by the by, is on the Sight and Sound list of the 250 greatest films ever made).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s_in_film

Just looking at the biggest box office movies from the 70s, it’s clear that even then the popular movies are the ones with mainstream appeal, I mean its Star Wars and a superhero movie taking first and second place!

But the noticeable thing is that the top 10 is almost entirely made up of classic or very good movies ( Maybe not so much Smokey and the Bandit!), and you have movies like Apocalypse Now and Alien just down the list.

Compare and contrast to a list for the past 10 or so years and you’d vomit in your mouth.

Edited by Heartofice

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

You are wired wrong, @Tywin et al. 

Don't know if some serendipitous pharmaceuticals are to blame or if you were just born that way, but something isn't firing right in that noggin of yours, I do declare.

Top gun is mid. I'll die on that hill everyday. Troy is better dumb fun. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Top gun is mid. I'll die on that hill everyday. Troy is better dumb fun. 

Agreed. But where you done f’ed up was saying Armageddon is better than Top Gun. 

Troy > Top Gun > Armageddon. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

18 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Agreed. But where you done f’ed up was saying Armageddon is better than Top Gun. 

Troy > Top Gun > Armageddon. 

Armageddon is so dumb, but in the sense all the batshit things they do are hilarious. I really love this bit from the extras:

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Armageddon is so dumb, but in the sense all the batshit things they do are hilarious. I really love this bit from the extras:

I am told there's a director's cut of Troy that's an improvement on the release edition? 

54 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I am told there's a director's cut of Troy that's an improvement on the release edition? 

It has a few seconds of boobs and a more violent sacking of Troy (Including thrown babies)

Also Ajax yells some more.

Edit: And there is a random dog in the beginning looking for it’s owner.

(I got the dog’s mixed up. Pretty sure Odyseus’s dog was in the theatrical version)

Edited by A True Kaniggit